Anyone using The Spinbal?

vyacheslav

I just ordered one and wanted to get different opinions. I found one for $12 on Amazon, so I figured I'd give it a chance.

If you're not familiar, it's a cymbal sleeve with a built in ball bearing (Demo video link below). I have an AAX O-Zone crash that I never use; I figured that might look cool under stage lights spinning, even if I have it off to the side and don't hit it.

It says on their website it's not designed for hanging cymbals, but I think one of those small Zildjian Spiral trashes mainly used for stacking would look really cool spinning around hanging from a boom arm. Would have a nice vibrato effect too.

Would also love to hear a Paiste Cup Chime or Zildjian Zil Bell on one of these too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjBPEVR4Yj4

Haven't been tempted to get one, although I've been spinning cymbals for years. Not for any sound variations, I sometimes do it when I choke a cymbal and yank my hand away to the side. I look over a few bars later and if it's still spinning, I reach over and stop it. No real reason for that either. :)

Bermuda

Interesting. I cranked the volume up, I could hear a difference. . .the sustain had a "funneled" effect in my ear? Not just a solid "RING" sound.

How important is it? I dunno. . .maybe in recording situations. . .

Honestly, just the spinning would make me hurl ;) I like the sound better though. And adding some trippy design? I stopped the vid right there.

I'd have to experience it first hand and then decide.

Ugh, the video started to make me queezy. I can't do spinning. Interesting idea though. I did like the white noise effect with the chain.

Well, I actually received it today, and I put it through the paces. Here are a few things that I found that isn't mentioned anywhere on their website:

1. You cannot use any kind of washer below the cymbal sleeve. Most stands have a metal washer to help support the sleeve. With the Spinbal, the whole sleeve (not just the bearing) spins, so a washer underneath creates friction and it doesn't work well at all.

2. If you use a wing nut (almost all of us do), the wing nut cannot come into contact with the top of the sleeve. As mentioned previously, the whole sleeve spins, so if the wing nut is contacting the sleeve, the sleeve won't spin (the sleeve is wedged in between the wing nut and the spot on the tilter threading that prevents the sleeve from going down any further). At that point, the cymbal is only rotating on the felt, which would be just like using a normal, non-Spinbal sleeve.

3. The Spinbal works exponentially better if the cymbal is perfectly horizontal. For my test, I used a 20" ride cymbal, that was a fairly hefty 2418 grams. I did three spins with the cymbal perfectly horizontal and I did not play or strike the cymbal at all during the duration of the spin. The duration of each spin, until the cymbal completely stopped, were 17:20, 19:59 & 20:48, for an average of 19:23!

For contrast, when I angled the cymbal slightly to what would be considered a "normal" playing position for most drummers, the duration of each spin was drastically reduced. The three spins with the slight angle (again, without striking the cymbal at all during the spin) were 3:04, 3:29 & 3:22, for an average of 3:16. A HUGE difference!

Overall, it definitely looks cool, and if you play your cymbals perfectly horizontal, then you are good to go. Obviously, how many times you hit the cymbal will reduce the spin duration, regardless of angle. Also, the lighter and smaller the cymbal, the shorter the duration the spin will be (less weight/mass to keep it going). I did try it out at the kit and you do hear a slight Doppler effect/warble, but it's not a huge difference. It would probably be more noticeable on a Zil Bel or Cup Chime. These are inexpensive enough to experiment with. I recommend getting one to see how you like it.

How about just getting a bearing, skateboard shop, putting it on the stand instead. Amazon is loaded with bearings with 8mm inside hole diameter for a lot less.

How about just getting a bearing, skateboard shop, putting it on the stand instead. Amazon is loaded with bearings with 8mm inside hole diameter for a lot less.

Cool thing about those 8mm skateboard bearings is they fit in pedals too. If one has an extra pedal they never use, a bearing can be harvested for free. Or a pedal can be upgraded with better bearings.

The spinning looks cool, but the thing that really intrigued me about the Spinbal was their claim that even if you don't actively spin the cymbal, it will cut down/eliminate keyholing. If true, that's quite the selling point.

Back