Anyone using Pro Mark PW707N Shira Kashi Oak?

mike d

Silver Member
I've been trying to hone in on my ultimate stick, and so far, I'm torn between the Pro Mark 5A Shira Kashi Oak nylon tip, and the Zildjian Trilok Gurtu, which is only available in hickory and with wood tips. I usually wrap my Pro-Marks with stick wrap for playability, and the Zildjians are dipped in a nice sticky coating. The Pro Mark oak stick seem to hold up much better than the wood tip hickory Zildjians though.
So...
I just ordered some Pro Mark 707 Oak's with a nylon tip (which I prefer), and I guess I'll probably wrap them. Anyone else used these stick? How much different are they than the 5As?

Defender

Silver Member
I'm not to sure about the 707, but I've been playing the same 747 Neil Peart signature Oaks now for at least 3 months. The shaft on them is getting more and more chewed up with every practice, yet they still haven't broke. Astonishing since I was going through hickory 5A sticks at the rate of 2 or 3 pairs a month.

shemp

Silver Member
I've been using the 747 Peart, promark oak 5B, 747B and sometimes the Tommy Aldridge 2S oaks....these are the only sticks I've used for the past 5 years and I'm very happy with them. I love the feel of the oak and the durability.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I'm liking the Shira Kashi "stinger' 5A, which is similar: .550", a fraction over 16" long, with a long taper for flex/bounce, with a wooden tip. Slightly heavy, longlasting, but the long taper balances this.

I'm considering trying the 707's Nylon Tip as well. If only they weren't so expensive in Australia!