Anyone using GAFFERS tape for dampening heads?

Zero rings anyone?

I use mutes like those, but I just cut doughnut rings out of old heads. Seems a bit decadent to pay money for something like that. Great for snare drums.

I use masking tape, but ususally not on head (unless the drums ring very badly and I don't have time to re-tune). Instead I usually tape a small piece of thick felt to the drum hoop so that only the felt rests on the head (so it is "floppy"). That way when I strike the drum the felt lifts off the drum head and then comes down slightly after the hit. This way I still get the clear tone (and a bit of resonance) from the initial hit but any ringing is still muffled by the felt when it comes down on the head. This is an old recording trick. I bought 3 square yards of the felt in the garment district in NYC for $7- enough for a lifetime.

Just an update:

Picked up a 1" wide roll of gaffers tape ($10). Put 2 - 3 inch strips on the 13 x 6.5 Tama artwood maple. Cuts down just enough ring, but still bright and sings. (Evans ST Batter).

2 strips on the 14" floor tom for shorter sustain.
4 strips on the 16" floor tom for a much shorter sustain. Used to ring until the cows came home.

This is the kit for the studio that I have to throw mute pads on daily - so no moongel here.
Gigging kit has much less dampening (except the snares).

Very pleased that I don't have to buy new heads or moongel for the studio...

Last edited:
I need just a little dampening/drying of my snare batter. I like the brightness (Coated Ambassador), but just need to cut a little bit of the ringing. Snare is the DW 5.5 x 14 Collectors. I don't want to use moongel since I regularly use mute pads when in studio.

How does Gaffers tape compare to moongel? Do you have to throw it on pretty thick or use more?

Any kind of tape on the drums - especially duct or gaffers tape - is just plain hideous and cheap looking. There was a set here that had Kotexes duct taped to the heads for muffling - I still have nightmares about that set.

Use moongel or office putty or anything except duct tape.

Just use your wallet. Put it on top of the drumhead and voila!

+1 the toilet paper & gaffer's tape. Back in the day I'd use a little square of paper towel and duct tape. I didn't worry about tape residue because I was such a hard hitter that my Emperors wouldn't last more than a few gigs anyway.

Nowdays I like everything open and ringing.

The old wallet trick works really well. There's even this little gimmick:
http://www.thedrumwallet.com/

I've seen the wallet trick done and it works great. Unfortunately my purse is always full of coins and cards and too heavy and bulky, but my diary works well. Like you, I prefer the sounds open if possible. I normally have some Blu-Tack with me, just in case so the diary would be a last resort.

Any kind of tape on the drums - especially duct or gaffers tape - is just plain hideous and cheap looking. There was a set here that had Kotexes duct taped to the heads for muffling - I still have nightmares about that set.

The heyday for gaffa tape was the 70s rock scene. Everyone did it - even top bands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgvAwBDbuIo

The final scraps of hippie scruffiness were extinguished in the 80s under a sea of gelled quiffs and plastic. So gaffa is pretty naff nowadays, unless you're a retro rocker or run a rehearsal studio (in which case your hire kits only survive by the grace of gaffa). I love kits where the hardware is so worn that the mounted toms are kept at an angle with gaffa tape - it brings me back to my first kit *sigh*

I picked up the white flavor. Barely noticeable - only if you're sitting behind the kit anyways.
At $10/roll I won't have to buy new heads until these are done. Or them Kotex things....

I keep a roll of duct tape in my hardware case at all times. Quick and easy fix in almost all cases for sound dampening and other "fixes." And Nowadays, duct tape comes in all colors so it doesn't look anymore hideous than moongel.

I need just a little dampening/drying of my snare batter. I like the brightness (Coated Ambassador), but just need to cut a little bit of the ringing. Snare is the DW 5.5 x 14 Collectors. I don't want to use moongel since I regularly use mute pads when in studio.

How does Gaffers tape compare to moongel? Do you have to throw it on pretty thick or use more?

i use tape on when needed. just a small piece usually on the top portion of the head kinda kills the ring if thats the sound your looking for.

I too don't use muffling on anything but the kick anymore.

Evans st dry - it's the perfect snare head IMO just the right amount of ring.

I don't even really need any extra dampening in my kick but I use a small amount to kill reflections in the drum because my akgd112 is internally mounted.

toms, just tune them right with heads that exhibit the tone you like.

I use ambassadors for my toms and they sound awesome under the mics and live
but for more staccato tom sounds I like evans ECII's

I use about a 4 inch strip of a bath towel inside the head. Works perfect. NOW found something even better. Remo Powerstroke 3 bass head with built-in dampening. Best thing ever. Got mine on Amazon for $34.

Back