Anyone using GAFFERS tape for dampening heads?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I need just a little dampening/drying of my snare batter. I like the brightness (Coated Ambassador), but just need to cut a little bit of the ringing. Snare is the DW 5.5 x 14 Collectors. I don't want to use moongel since I regularly use mute pads when in studio.

How does Gaffers tape compare to moongel? Do you have to throw it on pretty thick or use more?

Used to use it before but now I just buy heads according to the sound I want, except on my floor tom to help get rid of the long sustain it has.

Typically just take a piece and have 3 folds in it, don't know how to describe it, I guess sort of accordion style but spaced apart. That's it and you are good to go!

It works well, like most tapes, I've seen lot's of "duct" tape over the years. The nice thing about gaffer is that it comes off easy for adjustment, and typically won't even mark the drum surface, which is especially a problem when you're using coated heads.

Before they invented Moongel.....or at least before I knew it existed, gaffer was all I used if I needed to muffle.

Non-stick.......unless you leave it on too long....then it sticks alright and leaves a ton of residue. Pull it off after each use.

Before they invented Moongel.....or at least before I knew it existed, gaffer was all I used if I needed to muffle.

Non-stick.......unless you leave it on too long....then it sticks alright and leaves a ton of residue. Pull it off after each use.

Are you referring to the moongel or the gaf? Gaf tape doesn't usually leave that residue associated with the cheap duck tape, but then again, at $20 a roll, it better not ;)

Do you use Moongel? I just use Blu-Tak. Cleaner than tape IMO.

I used to use gaffa tape too, sometimes with a bit of cloth under there - heavy dampening was considered "more professional sounding" back then..

Many ways to give a little noise gate to a snare....

Have a look at this device..

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/2/610/612/ds_snare_damp.html

big.jpg

Still get the characteristics of the head with gating all the way from open to muffling....it bounces up with vibration from the head to open...then drops back down with variable force at the point you want....all the way down to just gravity pulling it down.

Tape isnt dynamic.

I need to get a few for my set...

Last edited:
Been there, done that. Regretted it. The longer you leave it on, the harder it is to remove the residue.

So the question I have is...... Are the people out in front of the kit, audience, hearing that ring or is it just you behind the kit?

I've never used tape for muffling, like someone else said I prefer to buy the head that gives me the tone I like when I tune it. I have a 5x14 collectors snare and have the stock batter which is an ambassador and it has a little ring but 10 ft away all you hear is a great CRACK!

I'd go with a product like this http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3567&productid=458&productname=Min_EMAD_ before I put tape on a head.

So the question I have is...... Are the people out in front of the kit, audience, hearing that ring or is it just you behind the kit?

I've never used tape for muffling, like someone else said I prefer to buy the head that gives me the tone I like when I tune it. I have a 5x14 collectors snare and have the stock batter which is an ambassador and it has a little ring but 10 ft away all you hear is a great CRACK!

I'd go with a product like this http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3567&productid=458&productname=Min_EMAD_ before I put tape on a head.

It does sound great in the audience when playing live. I'm working on some studio stuff so I'm trying to shorten the ring just a little.

Many ways to give a little noise gate to a snare....

Have a look at this device..

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/2/610/612/ds_snare_damp.html

big.jpg

Still get the characteristics of the head with gating all the way from open to muffling....it bounces up with vibration from the head to open...then drops back down with variable force at the point you want....all the way down to just gravity pulling it down.

Tape isnt dynamic.

I need to get a few for my set...

That's a cool gizmo. Where do you get those? Tried a quick search but some places don't carry them anymore.

It does sound great in the audience when playing live. I'm working on some studio stuff so I'm trying to shorten the ring just a little.

I'd go with the mini emad before I went with tape.

Might see if they can EQ the ring out

I used to use gaffa tape too, sometimes with a bit of cloth under there - heavy dampening was considered "more professional sounding" back then..

I'd consider anything (except duct tape). Where do you get this Blu-tak (Blue-Tack?)

Used to use it before but now I just buy heads according to the sound I want, except on my floor tom to help get rid of the long sustain it has.

Typically just take a piece and have 3 folds in it, don't know how to describe it, I guess sort of accordion style but spaced apart. That's it and you are good to go!

I've been trying to nail down a head as bright as the Ambassador, but with a bit more control. I've used the ST, HD Dry, Reverse Power dot, G2...and a few others.

The HD Dry really darkens the tone, while the ST needs more dampening.

It is coming down to either the ST Dry or the HD - as was recommended by 2 evans reps. I've almost given up on wasting the cash to guess on the ultimate head - so I figured I'd try to work with a head that at least give the brightness I desire. So damn picky...I know.

I'll probably start a new thread entitled: "So how many wasted heads do you have laying around?"

If this is temporary, just put a business card on the head at about the 7 o'clock position. Cost, free. Residue none.

If this is temporary, just put a business card on the head at about the 7 o'clock position. Cost, free. Residue none.

..if it goes flying away to frequently, try loosly attaching it to the rim with a bit of tape....it will bounce up at high energy allowing the head to resonate...but will dampen ring once the head returns to lower velocity.

..Great idea from the Mayor...garnering my vote once again! ; )

Although I always carry rolls of Permacel Gaffers tape, it never sees a drum head. If I feel the need to quickly and gently subdue some of the annoying artifacts of a snare drum, and this is mainly in the studio environment, I'll use a half or whole piece of Moongel just underneath the microphones location.

BTW, in my opinion, duct tape should never get any closer than 10 feet to a drum kit. Good quality Gaffers tape has hundreds of uses and is safe if it is taken off in a respectable amount of time.

Dennis

Are you referring to the moongel or the gaf? Gaf tape doesn't usually leave that residue associated with the cheap duck tape, but then again, at $20 a roll, it better not ;)

Gaffer mate. Leave it long enough, it'll be stuck so fast it'll take a crow bar to remove....and yes, it'll certainly leave residue. Of that, I can attest.

However, take it off in good time and you'll never encounter a problem.

Yeah Pol.....I was dumb enough to be suckered into buying some in order to check it out. As a general rule I'm not a "muffler" per se. But as I'm sure you're aware, I don't believe in absolutes either. There are many times I've needed to muffle....often because it's quicker and easier to do so than to totally retune (and no amount of naysaying from strangers on drum forums will stop me doing it. Close micing doesn't hear their objections and neither do I). Hence the Moongel.

But as for your angle.....Blu-Tak? As long as all roads lead to Rome, Pol.....I'm down with it. Same outcome, different product (and price!!) IMHO. :)

Whatever happened to just putting our pitifully thin wallets on the snare and taking it away when not needed?

Ah, so you're familiar with my financial situation then!!

Back