Anyone using bongos in the rack position? Chinese tom? Concert toms on a double headed kit? Tymps? WEIRD RACK THINGS

microkit

I tend not to like very high tom tuning, but loved this. Curious if anyone is using alternative drums in the traditional rack tom position, like you used to see Chinese toms and ply bongos in old catalogs.

I'd like to mix and match concert and Chinese toms with my kit. Mounting Chinese toms could be an issue, though.
I like bongos and timbales, but I feel their sounds contrast too much with the other drums, they might not blend. I like playing bongos with hands

I play country music, so it's nothing but a standard kit for me.

I'd say if the music calls for "all the things," then by all means go get them. If I wasn't playing just country music, I'd have some of those DW short, single tom things they sell.

Here's an old clip from Mike Portnoy's - Liquid Drum Theater dvd. For the first two LTE records he used that setup where a set of timbalitos were used instead of regular toms.

With the reunion gig he used only one timbalito, but added 2 octobans for a pretty bizarre setup.

It did inspire me to try something similar with my setup once. Had the 10 and 12" mounted toms over the bass drum and in the 'gap' in front of me there was space to add 2 rocket toms. Was quite fun to play around with, but relied more the toms in the off set position anyway and moved the rocket toms over to the left side again. Will see if i can find a pic of it.

Many Premier and Amati kits used to come with matching bongos (concert toms?). Although they use a similar shell layout with the other drums, they sound like bongos to me and don't blend into the kit. Would be great for accents, though.
I'm with Keith Moon - concert toms are additions to normal toms, not replacements. His kit was BIG though, and I'm not having that many drums without roadies and disposable cash (or an endorsement deal)!

I'd like to mix and match concert and Chinese toms with my kit. Mounting Chinese toms could be an issue, though.
I like bongos and timbales, but I feel their sounds contrast too much with the other drums, they might not blend. I like playing bongos with hands
Many Premier and Amati kits used to come with matching bongos (concert toms?). Although they use a similar shell layout with the other drums, they sound like bongos to me and don't blend into the kit. Would be great for accents, though.
I'm with Keith Moon - concert toms are additions to normal toms, not replacements. His kit was BIG though, and I'm not having that many drums without roadies and disposable cash (or an endorsement deal)!

I looked into the Remo Mondo snare as well, people have modified regular snares to take the Mondo head and it doesn't appear to be that difficult.

I thought to do a 10" snare but mount it on a 28" kick and have it look like a Chinese tom, a bit. Two small concert toms with Fiberskyns might excel at the quasi bongo thing as well.

EDIT: The ANF Chinese tom is basically what I would do, either a simple build or one of the inexpensive PDP/Pearl Firecracker snares, wrap it with red tolex, which is cheap and looks not unlike matte paint...it could even be a concert tom with a snare fan. Mostly I just dig the early trap kit look and it tickles me to have a tiny red tom or 8" splash perched on a giant kick like a clown's little hat.

1685188612911.png

1685188319375.png

Last edited:

What is going on with that bass drum... bass drums...

Confused Thinking GIF

What is going on with that bass drum... bass drums...

Confused Thinking GIF
I know, it does look weird haha. So in that band we were playing really weird improv based effects laden drippy dub, everything (including drums) had delay and echo out the wazoo. I played the small kit on the right which was a 16" bass drum, a 14" snare, and I occasionally used those bongos in place of toms, since my snare was miced through a delay unit the bongos allowed me to add high and low 'slap' to the delay which gave the drum delay a melodic vibe. Our bass player in that band was also a drummer so he set up the 'kit' to the left which consisted of a 22" bass drum, some timbales, steel drum, and some percussion, and a few cymbals. Sometimes he would set a bass loop and jam percussion. We set up 'face to face' because it looked cool BUT the 22" bass drum acted like a woofer greatly increasing the low end of my 16". I really needed the punch or 'cut' of the 16" to carry through the mess of effects in that band but ina live setting the poor little guy got lost so the big bass drum set up in front helped.

Here is a different pic from a rehearsal were we staggered a bit, I don't think I had the bongos set up here.
IMG_20141113_183647801.jpg

Here is a similar pic from the first at the same venue but a slightly different set up.
IMG_20141206_230635734.jpg

• Like!!
Reactions: iCe
I used to have bongos I played with sticks. At that time, I had a standard Tama rockstar 22 12 13 16, bongos were where 8/10 toms would have been in a 4 rack toms configuration. Very fun to play.

I know, it does look weird haha. So in that band we were playing really weird improv based effects laden drippy dub, everything (including drums) had delay and echo out the wazoo. I played the small kit on the right which was a 16" bass drum, a 14" snare, and I occasionally used those bongos in place of toms, since my snare was miced through a delay unit the bongos allowed me to add high and low 'slap' to the delay which gave the drum delay a melodic vibe. Our bass player in that band was also a drummer so he set up the 'kit' to the left which consisted of a 22" bass drum, some timbales, steel drum, and some percussion, and a few cymbals. Sometimes he would set a bass loop and jam percussion. We set up 'face to face' because it looked cool BUT the 22" bass drum acted like a woofer greatly increasing the low end of my 16". I really needed the punch or 'cut' of the 16" to carry through the mess of effects in that band but ina live setting the poor little guy got lost so the big bass drum set up in front helped.

Here is a different pic from a rehearsal were we staggered a bit, I don't think I had the bongos set up here.
View attachment 134827

Here is a similar pic from the first at the same venue but a slightly different set up.
View attachment 134828

Nice!

Interested in how that would sound! But thanks for the explanation, makes a lot more sense now :)
Assumed the 22 acted as a muffler, nut never seen something like this before and was intrigued.
And i love the beer muffler on the snare hehe

Nice!

Interested in how that would sound! But thanks for the explanation, makes a lot more sense now :)
Assumed the 22 acted as a muffler, nut never seen something like this before and was intrigued.
And i love the beer muffler on the snare hehe
You'll notice in that picture that I have the mic super close and almost flat against the edge of the head. I did this intentionally because I wasn't trying to mic the drum itself as much as have something to activate the delay, which the overtones of a metal snare did very well. The delay would be manipulated live by our keyboard/guitar player. We joked that delay was the unofficial fourth member of the band lol. We were going for something in the fashion of De Facto but with a little more of a southern beachy vibe mixed in.

Reactions: iCe
Back