Anyone used the Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Hi Hats?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
so was at guitar center last night looking for a DW 9000 tom stand and while the sales guy was looking for it I went in the cymbal room. Saw these hats and started to play on them some (they were up on a wall so couldn't play too much). Have to say I was kind of liking the sound. Crisp, somewhat bright, good stick definition.

Just wondering if anyone else has these and thoughts on them. I'm used to the New Beats that are heavier but with my new kit thinking some new cymbal sounds to go with it ;-)

I have been playing the 13 1/4 inch for several years now.
I really like them.
They are very popular cymbals.
I have tried and also like the 14's

They are super versatile hats. They go with just about everything.

I really like them.

I was thinking about buying the 13.25" myself bob. Perhaps you have a video where you're playing them? Or even just some more input on their sound would be great.

I really like them.

Yeah I need to get them down off the wall and play them with a kit, but from what I could tell they sounded like they'd be pretty versatile hats. I like that smaller size too which I know contributes to the tone of them. Comparing them to the A Customs, A custom mastersounds and the A mastersounds I really like the tone better. I was surprised comparing them side by side with the new beats how much heavier and "darker" the new beats sounded.

Another note.
The 19 inch K Cus Hy crash is just killer.
Everything from the bell to the edge is something to savor after striking.

I recently bought the 14"s. Agree with the others, versatile with great tone and cut thru. Not too bright or dark... Nicer than my Acustom 13"s which are very nice to start with.

301279_10150352535676654_551796653_9812330_966523_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have a pair of the 13.25s, and couldn't be happier with them. They sound great in any setting, and genre. Very versatile. If you go the ebay route and you're patient, they can be had used for much more reasonable prices. Guitar Center had them for close to $350 for the pair, I got a lightly used set for $200 plus shipping last year. As someone said before, give them time to break in before you write them off. I wasn't a huge fan of mine until I really got them broken in, now I can't stop playing them.

Also- check out the other offerings in the Hybrid line. They all sound fantastic. I have the 15" Hybrid Trash Crash and it's the perfect blend of china and crash and really adds a new sound to my other regular K/A Custom crashes. The Hybrid crashes are also on my short list of crashes I want.

The Hybrid series has the brightness of the A's and the classy sound of the K's.
Love the hi-hats the most by far, got the 14inch myself was my first and I feel like last highend hi-hat. The are really like the new beats but little darker I reckon can hardly hear the difference.

Got a 17 crash aswell but really regreting not going bigger. The 19inch crash sound amazing but dies pretty fast for my taste. Im wondering if the 20 and 21inch ride are good for crashing aswell and if they are just a inch larger then the 19 or if they are thicker overall.

They are awesome! been using them for about 3/ 4 years now
I have 2 pairs in fact and my drummer friend recently heard mine and immediately went out and bought some to replace his!
Really cut through and suit almost all musical situations!
Definitely my 'desert island' hi-hats

Go for them mate you won't regret it :)

Just scored a pair listed as new with maybe a stick mark or two from testing on ebay for $249!!! Can't wait to get them. Picking up my new bass drum that has been on backforder for 6 weeks to complete my new set today and these will finish it offf :) I'm a happy happy man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Zildjian, but their K Custom Hybrid line is one series I just can't wrap my ears around. I do own their little 11" Hybrid splash though.

Dennis

I was able to try the 13 1/4 last weekend. They were very crisp and cutting hats! I tend to favor darker, heavier sounds though, like what you can get from 14" K Custom Dark Hats. If you like crisp and cutting, these are your hats.

Oddly enough, I have used them. I wasn't a fan of their open sound, despite the fact they were 13"ers it was still a little deep. However, I had fun exploring the different sounds I could get out of them when closed, and I liked them overall as a nice sophisticated hi-hat. They were cutting enough for amplified blues and blues rock, but I'm not sure how they'd hold up in louder contexts.

Not bad cymbals, really.

Well they came in the other day, not a mark on them which makes me even happier.

Haven't had a whole lot of time to play on them but from what I have I like them. Nice tight, crisp chic sound, good fast stick response, good clean articulation on each note. Need some more time on them. I'm use to (been using them for 25+ years)New beats that are much heavier, fun exploring a new sound. Figured new kit why not some new voices with the cymbals too.

I had also gone from heavy 15" hats to the light 13" K's.
There was a short learning curve when I first started playing the K's.
I would miss them entirely sometimes because of the 2" dif in size.

I have the 13.25 K custom hybrid hats. They are by far the most dynamic hats I've ever owned. They sound great playing low letting all your sticking shine. The lifts are dark and precise and playing open is plenty loud but not obnoxious. The only thing I can gripe about is the size being a quarter inch bigger on the 14s and 13s and not being able to mix my other hats with them. I have Z customs, platinum new beats and paiste signature hats that all sound good but I'd like to mix and match sometimes.

Back