Anyone use Saluda ABI cymbal insurance?

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
So I've recently run into an interesting thing on Saluda's website. Apparently they offer an all brand cymbal insurance. I'm thinking about doing this for my 16" Armand because the insurance is only like $30 for 10 years of insurance. Does anyone on here have any experience with this offer?

Here's the link to it = http://www.drumgearonline.com/abi.html

So I've recently run into an interesting thing on Saluda's website. Apparently they offer an all brand cymbal insurance. I'm thinking about doing this for my 16" Armand because the insurance is only like $30 for 10 years of insurance. Does anyone on here have any experience with this offer?

Here's the link to it = http://www.drumgearonline.com/abi.html

Do you typically crack cymbals and keep them under 1/2 inch? Otherwise I'd say this isn't needed. 10% of the original cost? No thanks.

wierd insurance policy. im sure that saluda is just cutting your cracked edge (hence the less than 1/2 policy) cymbal down, relathing it and making it a new saluda cymbal to resell. I would have to say if i was playing a armand or k crash i would not want a saluda for a replacement lol i would want another armand or k crash. just another way for them to make money, why else would they do it

I can't actually see that they replace "like for like" anywhere in writing within that policy. As far as I can see the wording is not specific and leaves one to assume. Not the best way forward where insurance policies are concerned.

Does anyone know for sure? There's a big difference between sending them a cracked 18" Avedis and getting the same back, as opposed to opening a parcel and finding an 18" Saluda as your replacement.

Anyone got the skinny on the fine print. Or am I missing the bleeding obvious?

So I just got a reply to an email I sent to Saluda.

Here's the reply:

Hello,

Thank you for the email.

The ABI insurance is to help drummers get fresh cymbals in case one cracks, within the 10 year insurance coverage.

The ABI insurance does cover Armand crashes. If you put the ABI insurance on any of your Armand cymbals, we will replace it with a Saluda equivalent, which is normally our Diamond series, in the same weight range, in case it cracks. You can pick a different series if requested. All series are available, as a replacement except the Symbolic series.

To put coverage on your cymbals, you can do so from this link:

http://drumgearonline.com/abi.html

If you have any other questions, let us know.

Thank you,

Josh Y.

Ah. So they'll replace an Aston Martin Vanquish with a Toyota Corolla? Deal of the century.

Well, I know what I'd be doing with my $30.

Would it be worth it though if I wanted to try out Saluda cymbals? Like if my cymbal cracked, I could buy some insurance and then pretty much get a new Saluda for like $30.

Would it be worth it though if I wanted to try out Saluda cymbals? Like if my cymbal cracked, I could buy some insurance and then pretty much get a new Saluda for like $30.

Personally, I'd keep the 30 bills in my pocket. In the unlikely event that I ever broke my Armand.....and even unlikelier event that I'd want to try a Saluda cymbal after doing so, THEN I'd have money to throw towards it.

As it stands, you're forking out 30 bucks for something that may not even eventuate. For mine, it's a no brainer. Jump that hurdle if you ever come to it.

Literally the fourth paragraph on the posted page:
What cymbal will I get in return? You will get a Saluda comparable cymbal to replace your cracked cymbal. Saluda is very determined to make sure each and every cymbal sounds as good as possible before shipping.

Saludas are good cymbals, guys. I don't know the particulars of the program but one can assume Jamie would make a cymbal close to the cracked cymbal, and you can also send it back to him and get him to further refine the sound to your liking if you don't like his first try (he did it for free with one of mine, not sure if it'd be free with this program). Just because it's not a wholly machine-made Armand doesn't mean it's not a good-sounding cymbal. I have a pair of hi-hats, a splash, and a light ride from them and they're absolutely on par with any 'normal' cymbal I've had.

Now, whether you should pay $30 for this insurance and save $100+ on a Saluda later if your cymbal cracks (if you even want to try Saluda) depends on what your $30 is worth, I guess.

Back