Anyone tried Zildjian Pitch Black cymbals?

ahriman22

I saw those at Steve's Montreal store (Where I live). I was looking around in the cymbal section and saw this beautiful black 22' ride.... I fell in love with them just because of the way they look (I like pretty things...), I want to get them once I move, but I need to know if they're worth it. I play things in the Metal tree of music, so I guess these would be good... Right?

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

Search the forums. There's a few threads and the consensus is that they're absolutely terrible. I'm not even joking.

mrchattr

Gold Member
That isn't so very good. And I thought I met the ferpect match.

Well, do you sound like crap and flake easily? If so, ya did!!!

All joking aside, though, there is a search button in each forum...check it out. I'm not being a jerk, but I see you're relatively new here, so thought I would point it out...because you could have had this info right away.

ahriman22

Oh.... Well then screw those! Only reason I had interest in them was because they where "Black", which happens to be my second favorite color (Contrast) after Red. Guess I'll have to restart and go back to the store and look for some other ones. By the by, can anyone recommend cymbals (Paiste, Zildjian, if not those... Sabian)that would be good for Metal? Yes, I'm new this part of the musical instrument spectrum. I used to be a bassist but I found it boring.

Cypriss

Paiste make a black alpha. I think it has a slipknot logo on it though.Paiste will custom make any cymbal black i believe.so there ya go;)

Nodiggie

Gold Member
Oh.... Well then screw those! Only reason I had interest in them was because they where "Black", which happens to be my second favorite color (Contrast) after Red. Guess I'll have to restart and go back to the store and look for some other ones. By the by, can anyone recommend cymbals (Paiste, Zildjian, if not those... Sabian)that would be good for Metal? Yes, I'm new this part of the musical instrument spectrum. I used to be a bassist but I found it boring.

Z-Custom or Paiste Rude

Unless you are ballin' and can afford more expensive cymbals that in all honesty, do sound pretty but are NOT going to take a thrashing and hold up over longer periods of time for METAL.

eits1986

You are better off playing trash cans lids... just make sure Blue Man Group doesn't have patent rights.

tobias_blue.png

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
hmmm..... anybody know if spray painting a set of cymbals would work? not that i'd ever do that to a set of cymbals ('tis a sin) but hey that way you'd be able to get a nicer sounding cymbal (assuming the paint doesnt affect the sound) and still have a neat look.....

eits1986

I can't say for sure, but seeing as how your cymbal will be doing nothing but vibrating at relatively high frequencies, my guess would be that as soon as it was dry, it would start to crack and peel. While it may look cool, its going to be snowing paint chips all over the ground under your kit.

My suggestion? Stay old fashioned... if it ain't broke, don't break it.

Cymbalrider

Pioneer Member
They look like ZBTs but black on the tops. Remember the ZXT Titanium series, again sounded terrible but shiny silver so people bought them. These have replaced those. Sheet metal cymbals are simply not worth the money (unless you plan on hammering them yourself)

BattleArmor

Silver Member
I tried a pair of mastersounds in pitch black. I left after first storke.

My advice, go with something that has been proving the test of time for a while.

Just Drums

Silver Member
***Supposedly*** the black coating will not come off due to regular stick play. Supposedly (as told to me by Zildjian directly) the coating is really tough and won't come off due to striking with a stick ever. They even provide a "How to care for your new Pitch Blacks" card with each new cymbal.

What WILL make the coating come off is metal on metal. If you store your cymbals in a bag or case with no padding or seperation between the cymbals, this will take the coating right off. That's why the inside of the HHs are not coated - it's metal on metal contact.

For what it's worth, we have some models on the floor and they have with stood a lot of beating and testing. Coating is still in tact - no chipping yet.

Personally, I think the 22" Ride and mastersound HHs don't sound half bad. The crashes & splashes are a little muted which is probably why they're oversized. They're prob oversized to make up for the lack of resonance. I imagine a small 10" splash wouldn't hardly have any sound at all.

I really like the ZHTs for what they are. But these.....meh....I'll stick with my A's & K's. =)