Anyone tried the 3 position DW butt plate yet?

areFish

Silver Member
Really, where did you see this?
I saw a pic online. I emailed DW and was quoted the price to buy them as an add-on.

I like the 3 tension position idea, but I don't like it on the butt due to placement. I position the strainer so it's easy to reach & operate. That means the butt is in the least convenient position. Maybe that's just me, but I prefer the 3 position Trick strainer. That way, it's a single control & in the best position for operation.
A one stop operation like you describe for the Trick sounds like a great idea. When you disengage the wires completely with the Trick do you have to click through any settings before getting to the off position? I find it kinda cool having the 3P butt plate, but I really only use one setting so far. What I really like having is the Mag Throw. It's as smooth as silk.

Last edited:

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I saw a pic online. I emailed DW and was quoted they price to buy them as an add-on.

A one stop operation like you describe for the Trick sounds like a great idea. When you disengage the wires completely with the Trick do you have to click through any settings before getting to the off position? I find it kinda cool having the 3P butt plate, but I really only use one setting so far. What I really like having is the Mag Throw. It's as smooth as silk.
Interesting, I am surprised they didn't put those lug turrets on in the first place to match the rest of the kit. I'm still happy though :)

A

audiotech

I usually position my snare drum's throw-off between 7 and and 8 o'clock. Depending on the snare drum, this keeps things relatively at a good place to access both the throw-off and the three position butt plate. I set the butt plates tightest position for the way I usually play the drum, with the middle position being a looser sounding snare. I have yet to use the first position on the plate. I too like the Trick throw-off, but don't own one.

Dennis

FlamFlamMan

I have snares with the Trick GS007 and one with the DW Mag and 3-Position butt plate.

I vastly prefer the DW system. It is easy to use, reliable, and completely repeatable.

The Trick system is nice and kinda cool, but I find going through the whole range before turning the snares off bothersome. Also, if you want an inbetween sound you have to guess at it or play the drum while adjusting it. The DW system lets you adjust silently and its the same every time.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I usually position my snare drum's throw-off between 7 and and 8 o'clock. Depending on the snare drum, this keeps things relatively at a good place to access both the throw-off and the three position butt plate. I set the butt plates tightest position for the way I usually play the drum, with the middle position being a looser sounding snare. I have yet to use the first position on the plate. I too like the Trick throw-off, but don't own one.

Dennis

Holy Cow look at all those K's. Dang Dennis that's a collection!!!

konaboy

Pioneer Member
So I retuned the bottom head and got the snares tensioned and this 3 position butt plate is pretty cool. Middle/2nd position my normal tension sounds great, low/1st position gives a nice wet loose snare sound with a great rimshot, and the hi/3rd super tight almost marching snare sound. Now that it's adjusted I love it!!!!

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Interesting concept. It is getting close to the concept of having two throwoffs on a drum and this butt plate is actually a mini throwoff.

rodowobo

I have own one (bought it to improve upon a non-DW snare I already owned) and I *love it! It essentially gives you 4 snare sounds right at your fingertips: snares completely off (obviously!), snares crazy tight, snares at a mid/normal setting, snares ringy loose. I use this improved snare in my cover band, and at the flick of a lever I have a tight sounding "dance" snare and then FLICK and I have fat loose backbeat country snare. I don't know why everyone doesn't have this on their snares; I now buy them separately and put them on all the snares I own. Great product!

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I have them on at least ten snares and they work great. Same with the Mag throw off. I have Trick throw offs on 4 others and they are great too. That said, twice the price of a DW.

IBitePrettyHard

I have own one (bought it to improve upon a non-DW snare I already owned) and I *love it! It essentially gives you 4 snare sounds right at your fingertips: snares completely off (obviously!), snares crazy tight, snares at a mid/normal setting, snares ringy loose. I use this improved snare in my cover band, and at the flick of a lever I have a tight sounding "dance" snare and then FLICK and I have fat loose backbeat country snare. I don't know why everyone doesn't have this on their snares; I now buy them separately and put them on all the snares I own. Great product!
I assume that DW has a patent on this, so we won't see competing products for a while. (If by "everyone" you meant companies)

It never occured to me to buy it separately for my other snares. Hmm...

danondrums

Much prefer the 3 position Trick throw off. Why have 2 different locations for adjusting snare wire tension?
Seems silly to put it in the butt plate.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Much prefer the 3 position Trick throw off. Why have 2 different locations for adjusting snare wire tension?
Seems silly to put it in the butt plate.
I had that feeling before using one.

But its because that won’t give the spread and thus distinctive different sounds the 3p gives.

rodowobo

I assume that DW has a patent on this, so we won't see competing products for a while. (If by "everyone" you meant companies)

It never occured to me to buy it separately for my other snares. Hmm...
Yeah! I bought one and had to drill one of the current snare butt holes slightly larger to accommodate the replacement, but once installed you can't tell because the plate itself hides the larger hole anyway!