Anyone tried the 3 position DW butt plate yet?

Boom

Silver Member
I had one on my DW edge super solid snare drum. That 3 position device works exactly as advertised. Stays in place in all 3 positions and you can change the tension on your snares nearly instantly. Each position also seems far enough away from each other to make a real difference, yet not too far away to make you feel like you have to adjust it after you change the position. Tight, med, loose tension all at a flick of a finger.

And don't forget the mag throw...I actually liked that part even more as I usually like my tension on my snares to be either how I set them, or off. I don't do a lot of adjusting once I find the sweet spot (I know that is not true of everyone). But the mag throw made it so I could go from on to off as quickly and easily as I wanted. And yet it would never fail and just drop from wear and tear as the magnet, obviously, does not wear out.

areFish

Silver Member
I have a DWPS maple snare that was outfitted with a mag throw and standard butt plate. I added a 3P butt place and it works great. If I tension the wires on the low setting just above rattle, then the other two setting fall right in line ending up with a nice pop at the high setting.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I have a DWPS maple snare that was outfitted with a mag throw and standard butt plate. I added a 3P butt place and it works great. If I tension the wires on the low setting just above rattle, then the other two setting fall right in line ending up with a nice pop at the high setting.
Cool, since we have the same kit I'm glad to hear that. Thinking about adding one to my performance series. I love that mag throw!!

Evilbagua

Silver Member
I have one on a dw 14x5 copper snare. i really like it. the only bad is with the mag throw and 3 position butt plate it's a really really tight squeeze in an skb case. I think If I gigged the drum often I'd have to get a 15x5 case for it.

cornelius

Silver Member
I don't use the 3 position option much - I find only 2 of the positions work at any given time - if the loose position is tensioned well, then the tight position is too tight (choked), if the tight position is set up correctly, the loose position is too loose. But I will say, that I was at a store and a guy was switching between the 3 positions (he was in back of a wall display of snares, so I couldn't see him), and I thought he was switching drums! It really did make the drum sound very different.

The Mag throw however, is the best I've ever had on a drum...

A

audiotech

I've been using one on my DW Classic snare for about a year and a half, it works very well. Pair that with a magnetic throw-off and you have a great system. I usually have my snares rather tight, but if I want a quick way to getting my snare to sound a bit wetter, it's a quick flick of the lever and then back again. It's very convenient with exact repeatability.

Dennis

evilg99

Platinum Member
Recently bought a DW 14 x 6.5 black nickel over brass snare with the mag throw off and the 3p butt plate - best strainer system I've ever used. I've owned about 30 different snares. I bought an extra strainer + plate for another snare, and will be buying a third, maybe even a fourth set. I guess you could say I like them.
Best,
Neal

KirbyM

I've had the 3P butt plate and Mag throw-off for about a year. The system came on my DW Collector's Series Maple snare drum. The throw-off works just like everyone says. I don't use a variety of tension on snares very often, but it is nice to have the option available.

By the way, the magnetic throw-off works beautifully. It is one of the most stable throws I have ever used.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
So just got one last night, installed it a few min ago. Set it up for the middle position for a good sound but when I go to the loose position it's like the snares are turned all the way off. So sounds like setting it up for loose first is the key then?

couldn't find any videos on youtube about it. Surprised DW doesn't have one on their youtube page

areFish

Silver Member
So just got one last night, installed it a few min ago. Set it up for the middle position for a good sound but when I go to the loose position it's like the snares are turned all the way off. So sounds like setting it up for loose first is the key then?

couldn't find any videos on youtube about it. Surprised DW doesn't have one on their youtube page
My experience too. Adjusting the loose setting first does the trick.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
My experience too. Adjusting the loose setting first does the trick.

Hoping you would check in since we have the same kit.

Will have to try that tomorrow, wife had a wicked migraine today and we had dinner plans with my family.

areFish

Silver Member
Hoping you would check in since we have the same kit.

Will have to try that tomorrow, wife had a wicked migraine today and we had dinner plans with my family.
Speaking of the same kit, DW is going to be using a new lug design on the DWPS snares. I'd like to swap mine out but at $12US each, I'll have to learn to love the lugs I got.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I like the 3 tension position idea, but I don't like it on the butt due to placement. I position the strainer so it's easy to reach & operate. That means the butt is in the least convenient position. Maybe that's just me, but I prefer the 3 position Trick strainer. That way, it's a single control & in the best position for operation.