Anyone tried a music stand like this?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I have seen drummers using them in a big band setting.
I haven't tried one though.
It seems like a good idea that would be practical.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
A good idea in theory, but I'd be concerned about where I have enough exposed space on a stand to accommodate the tray. There's literally no place that would fit on my existing hardware, I'd need to set up an extra floor stand in order to attach it to something without being in the way. Hmmm, just like music stands have been forever!

I don't think this would have a wide appeal for drummers.

A singer might be able to use it, just turn the tray around and mount the holder so it faces back towards you. A little tight perhaps, maybe a longer arm might help. But, that could also be distracting being mounted directly in front of the singer, not to mention the ego factor about being obscured. Singers who use lyric sheets typically have a stand off to the side a bit.

Yeah, I don't know if this has much practical use at all. Clamp-on things are cool, but a functional music holder is just too big to fit in most cases.

Bermuda

KamaK

Platinum Member
With my music on my tablet, I use a gooseneck clapped to my that stand. The iPad sits down and to the left of the hats, and swivels in and out. The link stand looks like it would do the same for paper if you can find a place to put it.

newoldie

Silver Member
Sorry, it was this stand that I saw being used.
I have that one and use it for practice at home.
I have it attached to my ride cymbal stand (which is attached to my bass drum, DW cymbal stand).

The stand itself is very light weight but sturdy enough to hold an instruction book and wide enough to accommodate such a book plus several other sheets of music. I'd recommend it.

I also bought a couple of clear Musicmaide clips from Amazon to keep the book(s) or sheets of music pinned better against the stand so they don't fall off.
http://tinyurl.com/hjz689o

brady

Platinum Member
Sorry, it was this stand that I saw being used.
What music stand is that? I need something like that in the practice space. It's a pain in the neck...literally...to have the stand on the side when I'm sight reading a lot and it's too far way when it's in front of the kit.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
A good idea in theory, but I'd be concerned about where I have enough exposed space on a stand to accommodate the tray. There's literally no place that would fit on my existing hardware, I'd need to set up an extra floor stand in order to attach it to something without being in the way. Hmmm, just like music stands have been forever!

I don't think this would have a wide appeal for drummers.

A singer might be able to use it, just turn the tray around and mount the holder so it faces back towards you. A little tight perhaps, maybe a longer arm might help. But, that could also be distracting being mounted directly in front of the singer, not to mention the ego factor about being obscured. Singers who use lyric sheets typically have a stand off to the side a bit.

Yeah, I don't know if this has much practical use at all. Clamp-on things are cool, but a functional music holder is just too big to fit in most cases.

Bermuda
So took a look at my setup last night and yeah there is no where to fly that thing off of. Seems like a good idea just not practical at least for me. Guess I'll be getting a regular stand

gdmoore28

Gold Member
There is only one reason that I would not even consider the music stand you have specified - the attachment clip. This style is dependent on the old-fashioned wing-screw-against-metal method, which is guaranteed to eventually eat into the chrome of whatever stand to which it is attached. The attachment that Bob pictured is a much better alternative. In fact, if you have the space, you could simply use the upper tier of a regular music stand and attach wherever you'd like with a simple universal grabber clamp.

GeeDeeEmm