Anyone sell stuff on Reverb?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
As long as they don’t seem sketchy when I’m messaging them, then I have no problem letting them come to my house. The kinds of people you don’t want coming to your house usually have a ton of red flags when you’re dealing with them, from the very beginning. That’s just my personal observation.
Hi, I want to buy your drums. My grammar is good and I look like a normal guy. My text messages make me seem pretty okay. What you don't know is I am carrying a pistol in my waist band. My intentions are bad. There are 3 dead bodies buried in my garden. That girl from the Amber Alert, I know where she is. And the seemingly regular Toyota Camry I will be pulling up in is actually stolen. Oh yeah, I'm high on meth too. Life is hard, I'm outta my freaking mind, I have your address and will be there in an hour. But you can trust me because my grammar is good.

Remember: Criminals are LIARS! It's what they do.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Am I missing something?
Yes. Reverb, the company, wants a cut. SOP. Any site hosting your stuff for sale is gonna take a cut, except CraigsList.

Before you get your money, pay up:
  • Shipping
  • Shipping insurance (let's face it, this is legal gambling)
  • Bank fee
  • Hosting fee
If you wanna clear a certain amount after the shipping & transaction fees, do the math and don't sell lower than the amount required. If the item sits on the shelf for 8 months, then you know your price is too high. Respond accordingly (which, in some cases, is: burn your bass drum because it's cheaper than shipping it).

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
What you don't know is I am carrying a pistol in my waist band.
What you don't know is I'm carrying one too in my holster, and don't be surprised when I open carry as well. I'll also have one in the car. I'll probably have someone with me, and he/she will probably be carrying as well.

We will probably be meeting in front of the police station as well, never at my house unless it's a really large item. :cool:

@MrInsanePolack - You are exactly right!!! You have to be so careful these days. Every day, I commute at least 45-50 min. one way. It's best if you just assume everyone is armed and is on meth. I try my best to let people in who merge, let tailgaters pass (I pull over and wave them on if I need to), and take my time. People are crazy out there.

Mastiff

I live in a decent area and most times with craigslist I can tell it's some old dude from the area and it's totally non-threatening. Sometimes people chat you up with small talk or whatever. Even with junky furniture or car parts, I just have the stuff ready out on the driveway with everything closed up so they can't case the house or garage. I'm not so paranoid as to think I'm going to be robbed at gunpoint or home invaded. My main concern is with the house/garage being cased out, or if there's some way they can take off with the sale item. I heard of a dude taking a nice bike for a test ride and somehow just riding away and meeting a buddy with a truck.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
What you don't know is I'm carrying one too in my holster, and don't be surprised when I open carry as well. I'll also have one in the car. I'll probably have someone with me, and he/she will probably be carrying as well.
This is me also. The above example is who I expect to meet. Just not at my house! Sometimes the doberman comes too.

Mastiff

Yes. Reverb, the company, wants a cut. SOP. Any site hosting your stuff for sale is gonna take a cut, except CraigsList.

Before you get your money, pay up:
  • Shipping
  • Shipping insurance (let's face it, this is legal gambling)
  • Bank fee
  • Hosting fee
If you wanna clear a certain amount after the shipping & transaction fees, do the math and don't sell lower than the amount required. If the item sits on the shelf for 8 months, then you know your price is too high. Respond accordingly (which, in some cases, is: burn your bass drum because it's cheaper than shipping it).
I think the point is that if I added on $30-40 shipping and $10 fees, I would be out of line with everyone else price-wise and probably pushing new. Of course, that must be my problem in that I have in my head I should clear more than $20 for $100+ sale. All I can figure is that people selling, e.g., guitar/amp combos for $120 with free shipping are moving a lot of stuff and hardly making anything per item.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
This is me also. The above example is who I expect to meet. Just not at my house! Sometimes the doberman comes too.
I have a Great Pyrenees. As far as he's concerned, my family is his heard, and he would die for us. I've seen him get riled, and it ain't pretty.

Love dobermans!

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
What are your red flags?
I've been selling on CL for years, and I've had really good luck. I've met lots of cool people, and I've been able to network with other drummers because of it. With that said, I had one incident last fall when I was selling a higher-end guitar. I always thought that we drummers were the lowest rung of crazy musicians.

This guy contacted my wife about my guitar (she had posted it on FB Marketplace for me). I gave him my phone number b/c he was asking her all kinds of questions, and I was happy to answer his questions as opposed to passing info to her. I texted him answers to all of these questions. Then he absolutely started blowing up my phone with texts...these long, rambling texts about how I should sell my guitar, how I should get it set up, how bad he wanted to play it, a guitar he was trying to sell, etc. I'm a college instructor, so I know some writers out there are long-winded, but there was just something about this guy that didn't sit right with me...almost scared me a little. I told him I was putting it in a local store to sell on consignment, and if he wanted to try it out (he lived an hour away), he could go there and pay the price that was on the ticket. I then blocked his number, and I never heard from him again. This was the only time I was uneasy about anyone I've sold to.

It ended up selling to someone locally. Thank God.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I think the point is that if I added on $30-40 shipping and $10 fees, I would be out of line with everyone else price-wise and probably pushing new. Of course, that must be my problem in that I have in my head I should clear more than $20 for $100+ sale. All I can figure is that people selling, e.g., guitar/amp combos for $120 with free shipping are moving a lot of stuff and hardly making anything per item.
Yup, and it’s the price one pays to reach a wide audience.

Around 2003 I sold all my film equipment on eBay. Lenses went to Romania, Andorra, Fiji, and Hong Kong, and other countries. The customs forms included in the shipping forms was a godsend and made things easy.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Hi, I want to buy your drums. My grammar is good and I look like a normal guy. My text messages make me seem pretty okay. What you don't know is I am carrying a pistol in my waist band. My intentions are bad. There are 3 dead bodies buried in my garden. That girl from the Amber Alert, I know where she is. And the seemingly regular Toyota Camry I will be pulling up in is actually stolen. Oh yeah, I'm high on meth too. Life is hard, I'm outta my freaking mind, I have your address and will be there in an hour. But you can trust me because my grammar is good.

Remember: Criminals are LIARS! It's what they do.
I mean...I’m their huckleberry, I guess? I don’t really care one way or another that much. LOL

Old Dog new Cans

I've been selling on CL for years, and I've had really good luck. I've met lots of cool people, and I've been able to network with other drummers because of it. With that said, I had one incident last fall when I was selling a higher-end guitar. I always thought that we drummers were the lowest rung of crazy musicians.

This guy contacted my wife about my guitar (she had posted it on FB Marketplace for me). I gave him my phone number b/c he was asking her all kinds of questions, and I was happy to answer his questions as opposed to passing info to her. I texted him answers to all of these questions. Then he absolutely started blowing up my phone with texts...these long, rambling texts about how I should sell my guitar, how I should get it set up, how bad he wanted to play it, a guitar he was trying to sell, etc. I'm a college instructor, so I know some writers out there are long-winded, but there was just something about this guy that didn't sit right with me...almost scared me a little. I told him I was putting it in a local store to sell on consignment, and if he wanted to try it out (he lived an hour away), he could go there and pay the price that was on the ticket. I then blocked his number, and I never heard from him again. This was the only time I was uneasy about anyone I've sold to.

It ended up selling to someone locally. Thank God.
Had a somewhat similar occurrence when trying to sell my 2 electric guitars last year. The guy asked if I'd do payments. . .No. "I need to sell of part of my coin collection, but I want to buy everything." Ok. Man, I can't sell my coins, do you want to get together and jam? No. Then the, "How ya doin?" txts started. Wow, I'm wondering if he just needed a friend. Creeped me out, told him I sold them. Later, Block, bye. He would ask to stop by and "hang out". Dude. . .

To the OP, selling local is nearly always easier, more profitable. Unless you're selling something really sought after. I sold an Oakley watch on eBay last year. I bought it used on eBay for $85 (barely used), 15 years ago??? Sold it for $140. Sometimes it works out.

Charges, taxes, shipping--they all suck. But unless your dealing with "small and lightweight" items, it's just not going to go your way usually. Or, as I said "sought after" stuff.

Definitely get accounts with the USPS etc.