Anyone playing a 15" Floor Tom?

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Likes, dislikes? Seriously considering adding to a 16 floor in a three up 2 down configuration. Thanks for any thoughts.

I like it specifically because I don't have a 14" or 16" – I had them with my previous kit and wanted something inbetween, and the 15" is inbetween. I'm generally wary of 1" tom differences but that will be less of an issue with larger drums since their area is exponential. The only real annoyance that comes up for me is head availability, Guitar Center stopped carrying 15" heads in the past couple years so I have to order anything I want (or go to a local place that's more out of the way).

I like it specifically because I don't have a 14" or 16" – I had them with my previous kit and wanted something inbetween, and the 15" is inbetween. I'm generally wary of 1" tom differences but that will be less of an issue with larger drums since their area is exponential. The only real annoyance that comes up for me is head availability, Guitar Center stopped carrying 15" heads in the past couple years so I have to order anything I want (or go to a local place that's more out of the way).
Thanks Porter. Appreciate your thoughts - Think I'll order a few heads to have at the ready then.

I play a 15x12 DW Collectors FT in a one up one down config . It's awesome. It flat out destroys a 14" floor tom. I bought this drum in 1997 and I have never had any trouble getting heads.

I just got a 15x12 tom that will be my one RACK tom for my Bonham kit.

I play a Mapex Saturn 15x15 and I love it! For smaller venues I'll use it with a 13" rack and 22' bass drum. The local GC doesn't carry 15" heads so I order online. With the growing popularity of 15" snares I have a feeling that the local retailers will come around.

I use a 15x14 in the middle of a 13x9 and a 18x16 1 up 2 down setup.

Seems pretty bitchin to me.

I have 3 15" floors.
13x15 Ludwig Classic Maple, 13x15 DW Collector's Maple and 14x15 DW Collector's Pure Cherry. Love them all.
As far as buying heads, I get most of my heads mail order, so it's not a problem. I have a spare for each drum.
Here's the DW 15's.

Attachments

• dw cherry up copy.jpg
    dw cherry up copy.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 814
  • DW tamo up copy.jpg
    DW tamo up copy.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 790
I have 3 15" floors.
13x15 Ludwig Classic Maple, 13x15 DW Collector's Maple and 14x15 DW Collector's Pure Cherry. Love them all.
As far as buying heads, I get most of my heads mail order, so it's not a problem. I have a spare for each drum.
Here's the DW 15's.
Thanks for posting these pics again, jbonzo. Love the all cherry...I mop the floor every time you post these. Is that nickel or chrome?

I use a 15x14 in the middle of a 13x9 and a 18x16 1 up 2 down setup.

Seems pretty bitchin to me.
I'm after bitchin. I'll bet that set up takes you places, Mike.

I play a Mapex Saturn 15x15 and I love it! For smaller venues I'll use it with a 13" rack and 22' bass drum. The local GC doesn't carry 15" heads so I order online. With the growing popularity of 15" snares I have a feeling that the local retailers will come around.
Banking on it, not a stranger to getting on line, either way sounds like they'r e avail. Thanks.

This sounds bichin too.

I use a 15x15 with my 16x16, and they work great together!
I'll bet, thanks.

I play a 15x12 DW Collectors FT in a one up one down config . It's awesome. It flat out destroys a 14" floor tom. I bought this drum in 1997 and I have never had any trouble getting heads.
SunDog, thanks. Look to rack the 14 and go with 15 and 16 floor. Been out for a few weeks, did you ever get the snare finished?

I thought after the last intervention you decided that you're too short to be Bonzo. Dang it... Let me get Bermuda on the phone, maybe he can reason with you.

I have a 15x12 Slingerland marching snare that I converted to a floor tom. Great size, really a nice middle ground between the higher Jazz tuning that I like from a 14 and the low rumble that I like from the 16.

I have a 15x12 Slingerland marching snare that I converted to a floor tom. Great size, really a nice middle ground between the higher Jazz tuning that I like from a 14 and the low rumble that I like from the 16.
That's what I'm looking for, thanks for this.

Depends on shell construction. I have a 15x14 thin shell stave but often wish it were a bit more sensitive so perhaps a 12" or 13" would be an ideal balance. Certainly the 2" difference seems to be a proven one.

Back