Anyone play fast crashes?

greenstar323

Like the title says.... does anyone play fast crashes? I have had a 17" zildjian a custom fast crash for the longest time and it's my favorite cymbal. I went to guitar center today to hit the 18" version alongside Sabian's AAX xplosion fast crash but they didn't have the zildjian version. The sabian cymbal was on sale so I took a chance and ordered it online.

Just wondering if others have experience with either of these.

eamesuser

Silver Member
I have played the cymbals mentioned,I also own a couple of earlier A custom crashes,from before the Fast crashes were offered,the Early A custom crashes were thinner,much like the fast crashes.Great versatile crashes IMO,but the only caution is on how hard you play and the sticks you use,I am not a heavy hitter and I find that anything over a 5-A that I can start choking these models,and I have heard other drummers do this that play really hard with 5-B's on A custom,Xplosion and the K custom fast crashes.All of these crashes open up nicely if you just breathe on them. If you like A customs I think you will like any of these lines.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Like the title says.... does anyone play fast crashes? I have had a 17" zildjian a custom fast crash for the longest time and it's my favorite cymbal. I went to guitar center today to hit the 18" version alongside Sabian's AAX xplosion fast crash but they didn't have the zildjian version. The sabian cymbal was on sale so I took a chance and ordered it online.

I use 2 17's and a 15.
Got the 17 and 15 as set new on a closeout for $200 new.
The other 17 was used ,but only about $120.
If I were you ,I would check the used at GC first, as they have very decent prices.

Oops ,my bad ,I use A Zildjian fast crashes ,not a fan of the A customs,but I would still check out Gc used first.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
.. does anyone play fast crashes? ..
er I do!

I like my 18 A Fast Crash and my K Custom Fast Crash. Both do what they are designed to do. Open up quickly, sound bright and get out of the way.

I also like my K Custom Session Crash. It is a fast crash too. Thin cymbals are great.

I still love my A Mediums

greenstar323

Oh great! Seems like a few fans of them here....

Like I said LOVE my Zildjian fast crash, but kind of wanted to add a 16" and 18". The 18" Sabian AAX Xplosion fast crash was on sale at GC and came out to about $50 cheaper than the Zildjian so thought I'd try it out. Looking forward to seeing how it sounds next to my current lineup. I recently got the xplosion hi hats and absolutely love them. I'm slowly becoming a Sabian fanatic...

I'm not a hard hitter at all and use 5a's.

And yea... I checked out GC used and even ebay, but didn't see any of the used Sabians. Maybe they are still too "new"?

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Yes, I came across an 18" A Fast Crash in a music shop and was so impressed at how versatile it was, that I went back later and bought it.

It's very thin, only 1185g. A nice soft-sounding crash that speaks easily (strangely it opens up more easily than my old 16 A Thin Crash that I have had for years), so I can crash it quietly but also it speaks more as I play it harder. It has a real classic 'old school' crash sound to it that I really like.

I have a very early 17" A Custom Crash which is also very thin, and it has a nice warm shimmery crash sound.

Two of my favourites.

paravil

Yes, I came across an 18" A Fast Crash in a music shop and was so impressed at how versatile it was, that I went back later and bought it.
An 18" A Fast Crash is the only fast crash I've ever liked playing. Played it with another 18" with a slightly lower pitch and they really worked well together.

I've played 16" A and A Custom fast crashes, and a 14" A Custom, and just didn't care for them at all. The A had no body and was completely lost in the mix. The A Customs had a little more going for them in that they sounded more full, but were so shrill to my ears that I didn't enjoy playing them.

I don't have any experience with Sabian fast crashes, but I do play a standard 17" AAX X-Plosion crash. Clean, full sound.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I like to hit crashes every 16th note, so yes, I do play fast crashes. My bandmates don't seem to appreciate it very much, though.

Shamelessly derailing the thread in the name of making a joke and not even feeling especially apologetic about it right now,
8Mile

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I have an A Custom 18 Fast Crash. Crashes easily at soft volumes, seems to have a higher fundamental pitch when hit hard. Sounds a bit like two different cymbals - I like both of them. Never harsh, I enjoy playing it. Highly recommended.

I also have an Armand thin crash 18, which is really similar but with a traditional finish. Armand is a fraction deeper, but also a beautiful sounding flexible/thin crash.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
A few words of caution.

I love my fast crashes too but if you get into a situation where you need a lot of cut, projection and volume and all you have is an unmic'd fast crash you can get into trouble.

I played an outdoor pool party and only the vocals were through a small PA rig. The sound drastically dropped off at about 40 feet from the stage. Our sound guy said that my crashes were barely in the mix.

I spent the whole night with that desperate feeling that I was swatting at a wet paper bag.

They don't work for everything, necessarily. :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I have a 17 AAXplosion crash. I really like mine. It's on my studio set. I can't say if you will like yours, but I like mine and I'm not easily satisfied. Mine is not a fast crash though so maybe this doesn't apply.

BillRayDrums

Gold Member

I play a 19" AAX Xplosion Fast crash and absolutely love it. It's thin and quick and gets outta the way pretty much after I hit it.

Gotta say between the AAX Fast and AAX Vault crash, I'll lean more towards the vault. It's just prettier sounding to my ears.

Winegums

Silver Member
I've never liked fast crashes as they lack the sustain, cut and tonal qualities that are needed to play with a metal band. I have HHX and AAX xplosion crashes on my kit right now and they do the trick.

I will suggest that you look at the Sabian Evolution line as I have a 14" mini china and had a 16" evolution crash before. They characteristically have short sustain and a very musical tone to them, yet they still have the volume to play with a live band.

greenstar323

Got my 18" Sabian fast crash today and it sounds EXACTLY like my 17" Zildjian fast crash.... womp womp... was hoping it would have a lower pitch, but it doesn't. I will probably will return it and get something else.

Maybe the key next time is to bring my own cymbals to shop? lol

GeoB

Gold Member
Question.

Aren't splash cymbals essentially fast crashes? Or, perhaps they're really fast crashes.

The reason I mention this is that some fast crashes, as it were, have a splashy sounding quality to me.

calan

Silver Member
I grab my 18 xplosion fast crash for all of my setups and all styles. I don't have a problem with the projection that some have mentioned when I'm playing metal, and I find it speaks beautifully when using a lighter touch in more delicate situations as well. It's probably a jinx to say it's my holy grail crash.

The only issue is that I've had a hard time finding a complimentary crash to pair with it. I probably shouldn't have sold the 16 that I had with it.

greenstar323

I think of splash cymbals as more of a higher pitched crash / kind of a sound effect type thing.

Fast crashes to me just have quicker decay and are thinner, higher pitched cymbals usually (not as "dark/deep" sounding as say Zildjian K's). I guess I'm just into a brighter sound and A customs or any other brilliant/thin cymbal would probably do the trick.