Anyone play a Bonham-eque Setup?

greenstar323

There was recently a discussion of 24" bass drum playability here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128062&highlight=bonham+setup

But my question is more related to comfort of playing a big kit. I (stupidly) made a custom kit 10 years ago with a 13" and 14" rack toms and 16" and 18" floor toms. I have no problem playing the bass drum and floor toms, but I can't comfortably set up even one mounted tom in a position I like. The bass drum is too tall to mount a tom off of it without joining the 'tom angles' thread and if I put it on a snare stand off to the side I feel like it's so far away from all my other drums. I noticed on my kit with a 20" bass drum I mount my 12" tom almost over the center of the bass drum. Maybe I should try mounting the tom off a cymbal stand? But that seems to go back to same problem I encounter mounting it off the bass drum.

I'm only 5' 4" so maybe its too much of a stretch for me. Does anyone else have this problem? I really want to like this kit. It's not really sellable to fund a new set and I can't justify buying a new kit without selling something first.

#firstworldproblems

trynberg

Nope, at less than 5'7", I'm too short to comfortably play with a big bass drum and large rack toms. Not unless I want to sit far higher on the throne than is healthy.

ZLeyba

a few things to consider:

-Make new toms that are smaller in diameter and depth
-Cut down your existing toms
-Reduce your setup and mount your rack tom slightly over the bass drum with an L-Rod or equivalent.
-Move both toms off the bass drum and deal with the gaps between your pedals
-Move your seating position and drums higher in general (You'd be surprised at how playable some larger looking kits are with a little bit of adjustment)

You might not look cool, but you can get them to be playable

greenstar323

a few things to consider:

-Make new toms that are smaller in diameter and depth
-Cut down your existing toms
-Reduce your setup and mount your rack tom slightly over the bass drum with an L-Rod or equivalent.
-Move both toms off the bass drum and deal with the gaps between your pedals
-Move your seating position and drums higher in general (You'd be surprised at how playable some larger looking kits are with a little bit of adjustment)

You might not look cool, but you can get them to be playable

My bad meant to originally post this under the general discussion forum. Please don't ban me!

My toms are 9x13 and 10x14 so not sure how much shallower I could really go. And my problem is that I CAN'T mount a tom over the bass even with an L rod because it's just way too high. To play them I'm already sitting pretty high up. I'm not a low sitter either.

If I was going to make new toms I should just get a new kit (see there I go justifying it again!) I feel like my only viable option is to mount it on a snare stand or possibly put it on a snare stand on the right next to the floor toms and put my ride on the left? Still experimenting but nothing is working out.

T

The SunDog

You just need to get used to playing a "traditional" trap configuration. The jump from the tom to the floor seems drastic, until you get used to it. I'm playing a 24, 12, 16 (12x8) set-up and the tom is plenty low enough.

chris J

I don't, but here's an idea.

A rather off topic comment here, but here goes.....
Wow, this is a very unique looking set-up for old whatizzname in the Pre-Fab Four.
I wonder what motivates this arrangement.....?
It's perfectly logical, it puts the hi-hat right where you want it.
You just have to learn to play the bass pedal with the left foot and vice versa.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Drum sets are different than any other musical instrument in that you play them with all four limbs; and the instrument pieces can be moved around to different locations.

I think that a drum set needs to "fit" the person who plays it. In other words the drum set needs to be designed for the particular drummer who will be using it.
Everyone is different and needs different drum locations and spacing.

greenstar323, your body is telling you that you need to redesign your drum set. I think you need to play a 20 inch bass drum. Maybe a 20x20 bass drum. With the proper beater, heads and tuning you can get a nice loud boom out it.

You should go through a drum set ergonomic evaluation. Where you start with the snare drum and slowly build all of the other pieces around that, determining where everything should be located. And it may require new drum equipment.

G

Ghostnote

I play a 14, 18, 26 kit. I'm 6'5 so that kinda helps with height issues, but I think if you work at your setup a bit you can come up with something that works.

Even though I'm taller, I can relate to your "mounting a tom over a large bass drum" woes. I'm very lazy and don't like to have to move much or reach for something when I play so I like to have my rack tom pretty much as low as I can get it over a 26" bass drum. I do this by moving my bass drum a bit to the left (I'm left handed) and then angle it toward me to make it feel more natural. This opens up enough space for me to get my 10x14 rack tom in nice and low and pretty much right in front of my snare drum so it isnt away from the other drums.

Maybe try a 1 up 2 down set up with this in mind and see how it feels. You can also raise your seat up a bit too. It'll feel weird for a little while but you'll get used to it after a few days.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Hey - I'm 5' 00" and played an actual 26" with a 9x13 on a snare stand with 16 and 18 floor toms, and I had no problems. I did have a stretch side-to-side getting from the 13 to the 16, but that was about it. I had no other problems playing it.

Moving it around was another issue.

But I loved it, it had that sound and that vibe, it was very cool. Of course, after a while I was tired of the stretching and it didn't lend it self to everything, but I did it. You can too.

Super Phil

Maybe try something like what Jimmy Chalfant does:

It's along the lines of the Mickey Dolenz set up, but still playing the kick with your right foot.

bonerpizza

Silver Member
I had a Tama Starclassic kit with a 24" kick, 14x12 rack tom and an 18" floor tom and I had the same issues you're having.
Mounting the rack tom off the kick drum put the rack tom WAY too high and putting the rack tom on a snare stand forced me to spread my kit out, I ended up mounting it off a cymbal stand and had it at a sharp angle.
I ended up selling that kit shortly after buying it.
Now I've got another Starclassic kit with a 24" kick, 12x9 rack tom and a 16" floor tom. Having a shorter rack tom makes all the difference in the world, I can mount it off a cymbal stand or put it in a snare stand and get it right where I want it.

What's the depth of your rack toms?

Another thing I did when I had the kick with the 14x12 rack tom was raise my throne and everything else to accommodate the deeper rack tom, and it worked pretty well it just felt awkward as hell!

greenstar323

Thanks for all the suggestions! Maybe I will try what ghost note suggested and move my bass a little to the right and angle it slightly.

It's probably more a matter of getting used to the toms being more spread out. I'm just too lazy to reach that far and normally like to keep my kit pretty compact. Maybe the experiment will actually improve my playing by getting me out of my comfort zone.

And the rack toms are 9x13 and 10x14 so I could use either one alone with the two floor toms for a one up two down. I do kind of like the sound of my 10x14 better. They both have iso mounts so I have the option of mounting it on a cymbal stand/Bass drum or put it in the snare stand. I don't think I would use both toms together.

I tried mounting both of them off to the left of my bass but then I felt like my hi hat got in the way and again my issue is the stretch to the floor toms.

I know.... excuses excuses!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'd bet the house that you'd be way happier with a smaller bass drum and shorter toms. You need a new kit. The holidays are coming. Your kit isn't a good fit. I don't have to break out my slide rule I hope lol.

The first kit I got myself had a 24. It was just too big. A 22 is a good compromise. I got a Sonor Players kit with a 20 x 12 bass drum. OMG it's such a good feeling to feel like you dominate the drum set....instead of the reverse.

I echo Hollywoods suggestion. Get a 20 x deep drum. You will feel like a God behind it.

oneflightup

You could try a 22" kick. I've got one set up at the moment and I can get the tom in the right spot without it being too far or too angled. But I dunno about a 24".....

greenstar323

I'd bet the house that you'd be way happier with a smaller bass drum and shorter toms. You need a new kit. The holidays are coming. Your kit isn't a good fit. I don't have to break out my slide rule I hope lol.

The first kit I got myself had a 24. It was just too big. A 22 is a good compromise. I got a Sonor Players kit with a 20 x 12 bass drum. OMG it's such a good feeling to feel like you dominate the drum set....instead of the reverse.

I echo Hollywoods suggestion. Get a 20 x deep drum. You will feel like a God behind it.
Haha! Agreed on the new kit! My wife doesn't agree however. I have two other kits (breakbeats as a little practice/drag around to play kit) and another one with 20, 14, 12 (not a 20" deep though... might be 16 or 18 deep?) but this is the only one with two floor toms and god forbid I mix and match my sets.

I do love the "boom" of the 24". I feel like it rumbles the whole house.

Road Bull

Silver Member
I have a Bonham style kit, 26", 14",16". I am used to only use 22" bass drums with rack, or racks mounted on the bass drum. I thought it might be a big deal, but you just adapt. At first, it seems like a stretch to get from rack to floor tom. You just practice going back and forth.

Sure, it's not for everyone. But I just jumped right in and mounted my rack on a snare stand. I did raise my seat up a bit to keep sitting "over" the kit. I could always fly my rack off a tom stand with an atlas mount I suppose, but I just haven't felt the need.

In the end, I am really excited to play this type of kit and I am willing to adapt to get the sound that I get with my kit. I am pretty happy.