Anyone Mismatch Hi Hats?

River19

I had the Fast Crash in that line for a while. Sounded pretty funky like a cross between a B8 & a B20. I miss it mainly because those cymbals were popular to hate on and you could get them cheap because of it.
You can get a shirt expressing your love for this line here:

Yeah the Platinum line died off fairly quickly.......I can't imagine the remainder of the line sounded all that great considering the price etc.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Yeah the Platinum line died off fairly quickly.......I can't imagine the remainder of the line sounded all that great considering the price etc.
Good point. Most who had them talk about the finish coming off rather quickly & the tarnishing result was awful. I gave mine to a buddy who really loved it & never heard about if this happened to him or not.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Good point. Most who had them talk about the finish coming off rather quickly & the tarnishing result was awful. I gave mine to a buddy who really loved it & never heard about if this happened to him or not.
Went to GC a couple weeks ago and they had some used Platinum Zildjians. They wanted practically new prices for them, the blue ink was all but gone, and the cymbals didnt look platinum anymore. Kinda made me sad.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Went to GC a couple weeks ago and they had some used Platinum Zildjians. They wanted practically new prices for them, the blue ink was all but gone, and the cymbals didnt look platinum anymore. Kinda made me sad.
And the fact that they were charging almost full prices for them shows me how greedy they are. They know the hustle, but not the demand.

River19

Since reading these replies today I looked over at my plats as they are on display with some other cymbals not currently on the kit and honestly.....given the fact I played those hats from ~1990ish to maybe 2018 the finish is actually decent......top hat still has labeling visible, albeit faded but no peeling etc. Bottom looks relatively new(ish). Perhaps the fact I play wood tips mostly may have helped.....who knows.

What I can say is the outright sucked on low volume jazz gigs that I had to play occasionally lol

cbphoto

Platinum Member
This video explores various combinations of 17” crash cymbals used as hi hats. Very revealing, IMO.

JimmyM

Silver Member
I played a mismatched set yesterday at my friend's house. He has a 12" set with a very heavy Zildjian Rude on the bottom and I can't remember what was on top but it was way lighter and more trad. I loved it and didn't expect to. But then, I like smaller hi hats as a rule.

wraub

Silver Member
Currently using a 90's Quick Beat top with a 60's Zildjian bottom. I like it.

tml_fan_5

I have a pair of hats that are a K Zildjian top and and A Custom bottom. They sound really great. And that’s coming from someone whose other set of hats are New Beats. These are darker than the New Beats for sure, but if you open them and let them sizzle they have a bit more brightness because of the A Custom bottom. So it’s a best of both worlds sort thing. I think back in the day they would call it the K/Z special hats because people would use Z Custom bottoms, which they do not make anymore.

Ryan Culberson

17” Paiste Traditional Thin crash over 17” Paiste Dark Energy crash (the Steve Jordan specials) are my all-time favorite hats. Been using them 95% of the time since about 2005. I like the big’uns.

Lefty Phillips

I've got a Wuhan Western (14") hi-hat set, which is pretty alright, but I have plans to experiment with it. Based on what I'm hearing from various players, I'm interested to hear if a thinner top hat might get me closer to the sound I hear in my head.

I won't need a drill press lathe for what I want to do, but there will be lots of sanding and cutting and polishing...

wraub

Silver Member
I've got a Wuhan Western (14") hi-hat set, which is pretty alright, but I have plans to experiment with it. Based on what I'm hearing from various players, I'm interested to hear if a thinner top hat might get me closer to the sound I hear in my head.

I won't need a drill press lathe for what I want to do, but there will be lots of sanding and cutting and polishing...
Post updates, please. :)

Square

I think I've shown this before, Istanbul Agop, Xst 13" crash over Sabian Paragon bottom, 13"

IMG_1459.jpg

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
Maybe clamp a weight to the pull rod? Seems like that would help overcome the airlock but wouldn't affect the tone.
It's not airlock. Airlock is not a thing. If it was, drilling holes in the bottom cymbal would fix it. Which it didn't, I tried.

I determined that the real culprit...as unlikely as it sounds, is a perfect seal on the cymbal edges. A bottom cymbal with a fluted edge is the fix. Or something that accomplishes the same thing, like 1` spot on the bottom hat edge that I buggered up with a tool so it's no longer perfectly flat all the way around.

pinstripe

It's not airlock. Airlock is not a thing. If it was, drilling holes in the bottom cymbal would fix it. Which it didn't, I tried.

I determined that the real culprit...as unlikely as it sounds, is a perfect seal on the cymbal edges. A bottom cymbal with a fluted edge is the fix. Or something that accomplishes the same thing, like 1` spot on the bottom hat edge that I buggered up with a tool so it's no longer perfectly flat all the way around.
I'm pretty sure airlock is a thing. Assuming you use a tilted bottom hat, then you've already solved the airlock problem and adding holes won't make any difference.

The idea that an imperfect mating surface could give a sharper sound actually seems plausible to me. It would concentrate the contact in a few points rather than spread it across the entire rim, which I could see giving a chickier chick.

jkosh1

I'm using a 14" Constantinople Bottom as top, and a 14" A Rock Bottom as bottom. Able to get the click sound of the K with the throatier sound of the heavier A.

Lefty Phillips

I'm pretty sure airlock is a thing. Assuming you use a tilted bottom hat, then you've already solved the airlock problem and adding holes won't make any difference.

The idea that an imperfect mating surface could give a sharper sound actually seems plausible to me. It would concentrate the contact in a few points rather than spread it across the entire rim, which I could see giving a chickier chick.
Airlock is a thing, sure. Whenever you open the refrigerator door, you have to overcome it. Doesn't apply to hi-hats, unless there's an airtight seal, which is definitely not a thing as far as hi-hats are concerned.

Is there a pressure differential? Yeah. And, the idea of deforming the edges to eliminate the differential is brilliant.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member

I've had the quiet hi hat chick problem with a tilted bottom cymbal. True it happens easier with a flatter bottom cymbal.

This is why you see the fluted bottom cymbal edges on certain lines of cymbals, to combat airlock. I suppose it could be called airlock, that's what it feels like. I take back my previous statement stating airlock isn't a thing. Drilling holes doesn't fix it though. Buggering up the edges will. So we are probably saying the same thing.