Anyone Mismatch Hi Hats?

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I've experimented with an Istanbul Agop Traditional Dark 17" (bottom)/Bosphorus Turk 17" 6-Holes Special Effects (top).
Also 18" Istanbul Agop bottoms in several different models (bottoms)/two different Bosphorus Turk and Traditional 18" 18-Holes Special Effects (top).
Interesting results.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Only once, and a long time ago.

I bought some 15" hats from Bob Yeager at Pro Drum, maybe 1970?, and he insisted that a Zildjian top sounded best with a Paiste 602 bottom. They did sound great, although I later suspected that Bob was just trying to offload some orphan cymbals. It was my first Paiste, and it cracked within a year. Remember, it was the bottom hat, and I wasn't a hard player at age 15. I also treated my gear carefully, and the hats were never dropped or otherwise abused. I think my next Paiste came in 1984, and it cracked after playing two songs. I learned my lesson, and while I eventually acquired several dozen Paistes, I never played them.

dwsabianguy

One of my favorite pairs of hats consists of my 15" 602 Modern Essentials bottom on top of a 70s Zildjian field cymbal. It's like a better pair of heavy New Beats.

I have a bunch of other hihats that I've tried as different pairings, but I've come to learn that Zildjian now make slightly oversized cymbals compared to the rest of the world (by about an eighth of an inch), and thusly the rest of the hihats don't really mesh well together.

SomeBadDrummer

Only once, and a long time ago.

I bought some 15" hats from Bob Yeager at Pro Drum, maybe 1970?, and he insisted that a Zildjian top sounded best with a Paiste 602 bottom. They did sound great, although I later suspected that Bob was just trying to offload some orphan cymbals. It was my first Paiste, and it cracked within a year. Remember, it was the bottom hat, and I wasn't a hard player at age 15. I also treated my gear carefully, and the hats were never dropped or otherwise abused. I think my next Paiste came in 1984, and it cracked after playing two songs. I learned my lesson, and while I eventually acquired several dozen Paistes, I never played them.
So what do you think about Paistes? :ROFLMAO:

Philaiy9

Yes, my favorite pair I own is an a zildjian 14 inch thin crash over a new beat top. I find this thinner combo is a little more expressive than new beats (and it also does a better Ringo slosh). The tradeoff is the lighter combo gets airlock easier, even with a heavy tilt in the bottom.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I have a set of Paiste 14” Signature Sound Edge and after 15+ years the top hat developed a small crack near the edge. While traveling for work, I came across a lonely Paiste 14” Signature Traditional top hat cymbal at Dale’s Drum Shop (I think). The mix definitely reduced the cut provided by the top Sig cymbal, but the tone is perfect.