Anyone know what kind of gear/model late drummer Derrick Plourde used on his kit?

I’m honestly not sure, it was definitely a wood snare. It might be a USA snare, the die cast hoops are still correct. Definitely sounded great, Derrick still tuned it high like all of his snares.

I’m sure you could get the Slingerland to sound just like it with the correct drumheads and tuning.
Yeah at least it exist and dimensions are accurate.

I'm sure i could. I want to swap the generic hoops with Die Cast hoops and a super hoop on bottom, i don't think die cast hoops matter if its on the bottom. I already have a Remo Emperor batter smooth crimplock head that was budgety but that's about it right now.

After doing some searching around, the Gretsch 8x14 snare from the Duh/Trashed days is a USA-made maple snare, in a white finish. It has a square badge which is consistent with their snares from the 80's when that drum was made. 8x14 is also a standard snare size, not a marching snare size.

Just finished correcting.
Awesome! I’ve learned that the standard depths usually for snares are 3.5", 5”, 6.5”, and 8”. Anything else is considered an odd size from my understanding. Plus it would seem a bit drastic that Derrick would go from a 10” deep snare right to a 6.5” deep Supraphonic, so the Gretsch being 8” in depth makes more sense and matches the photos we have.

Last edited:
Finally we get to see the rest of this show from this angle.
Totally understand your perspective on this. It would seem a bit odd Derrick having down sizing from a deeper depth snare drum to nearly half the size in length, like you mentioned. All in all, glad you scooped that out!

Awesome, this is also a nice fine.

A few weeks ago, I got to talk with JoAnn Gillespie online. For the unfamiliar, she was very close to Derrick and his family (she's thanked in the liner notes of Anywhere But Here). I shared with her this thread and the YouTube playlist put together by @TxGroove. In the conversation we had, she was kind enough to share this photo with me:

1600552580103.png

From left to right: JoAnn, Derrick, Sean Sellers from Good Riddance.

A few weeks ago, I got to talk with JoAnn Gillespie online. For the unfamiliar, she was very close to Derrick and his family (she's thanked in the liner notes of Anywhere But Here). I shared with her this thread and the YouTube playlist put together by @TxGroove. In the conversation we had, she was kind enough to share this photo with me:

View attachment 96142From left to right: JoAnn, Derrick, Sean Sellers from Good Riddance.
Was just about to ask you if she ever got back in touch a few weeks ago but completely forgot. Thanks for sharing the good news. Btw that image is awesome.

Also to add to the convo, I just purchased a pair of die cast rim hoops to go on the marching snare drum. Can't wait to put it to the test and hear how it sounds.

Was just about to ask you if she ever got back in touch a few weeks ago but completely forgot. Thanks for sharing the good news. Btw that image is awesome.

Also to add to the convo, I just purchased a pair of die cast rim hoops to go on the marching snare drum. Can't wait to put it to the test and hear how it sounds.
Indeed she did! We had a really nice conversation and I'm grateful she returned my message. I mentioned I have the same Jawbreaker shirt as he does in that photo (the navy salt girl) and that Jaws sounded very much like them. She said a lot of cool facts about him that I never would have learned anywhere else. She does still have one of his kits, the Brown Classic Maples. It has a nickname too: "Brown Town". It was a nickname he used for a lot of things. He also liked to count off songs saying "peanut butter and banana", which cracked me up. This was probably my favorite anecdote she shared with me:

"He was trying to dissect Neil Peart's playing back before the digital age and I bought this fancy 4-head VCR Player. He would bring his Neil Peart tapes over to my house, skate my ramp, then watch them on slow mo. Always reverse, you can see exactly what Neil was doing."

Awesome you got those die cast hoops! Can't wait to hear how they sound! Are you going to refinish your snare in white as well?

Indeed she did! We had a really nice conversation and I'm grateful she returned my message. I mentioned I have the same Jawbreaker shirt as he does in that photo (the navy salt girl) and that Jaws sounded very much like them. She said a lot of cool facts about him that I never would have learned anywhere else. She does still have one of his kits, the Brown Classic Maples. It has a nickname too: "Brown Town". It was a nickname he used for a lot of things. He also liked to count off songs saying "peanut butter and banana", which cracked me up. This was probably my favorite anecdote she shared with me:

"He was trying to dissect Neil Peart's playing back before the digital age and I bought this fancy 4-head VCR Player. He would bring his Neil Peart tapes over to my house, skate my ramp, then watch them on slow mo. Always reverse, you can see exactly what Neil was doing."

Awesome you got those die cast hoops! Can't wait to hear how they sound! Are you going to refinish your snare in white as well?
That's really cool! Stories like these make my day. Wow, really like the Neil Peart story, can totally see Derrick studying him in such a way. I myself have a Neil Peart "A Work in Progress" video, it covers the making of a "Test for Echo" album. It was released in 1997 and makes me wonder if it was this video he studied, since it's a very informative piece of drum work by Neil.
Good to hear the Brown kit still exist and is currently being kept care of. Did she happen to share photos? if not, its no biggy, the story is where the meats at.

Yes i am, I think i should. It shouldn't be to pricey. Would give it a fresh look overall. If I do, i'll do it very, very soon. Right know I got it cranked up relatively tight but still has less sustain but I think the die cast hoops (top and bottom) will take care of most of it.

That's really cool! Stories like these make my day. Wow, really like the Neil Peart story, can totally see Derrick studying him in such a way. I myself have a Neil Peart "A Work in Progress" video, it covers the making of a "Test for Echo" album. It was released in 1997 and makes me wonder if it was this video he studied, since it's a very informative piece of drum work by Neil.
Good to hear the Brown kit still exist and is currently being kept care of. Did she happen to share photos? if not, its no biggy, the story is where the meats at.

Yes i am, I think i should. It shouldn't be to pricey. Would give it a fresh look overall. If I do, i'll do it very, very soon. Right know I got it cranked up relatively tight but still has less sustain but I think the die cast hoops (top and bottom) will take care of most of it.
I'm not sure which of the Neil Peart videos he had. My guess was they were some kind of homemade videos because she mentioned playing the sticks backwards, which was one of Neil's signature trademarks back in the 80's. If you look at photos from around 1992 DP did the same thing. When Neil did A Work In Progress it was when he changed to traditional grip since it was after he studied with Freddie Gruber.

Its funny too, the way that he studied Neil is the way I study both him and Derrick. I'll watch old Lagwagon, RKL, and Rush videos for hours on end some days (when I can) and study every last detail. Carrying the torch, I suppose!

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to ask about the Brown kit specifics. Like you said, I was just grateful to get the stories I did.

I'm stoked you got your snare up and running again! Those die cast hoops will definitely make for the cracking rim shot sound. Plus if you ever hunt down the white Ludwigs you'll already have a matching snare!

I'm not sure which of the Neil Peart videos he had. My guess was they were some kind of homemade videos because she mentioned playing the sticks backwards, which was one of Neil's signature trademarks back in the 80's. If you look at photos from around 1992 DP did the same thing. When Neil did A Work In Progress it was when he changed to traditional grip since it was after he studied with Freddie Gruber.

Its funny too, the way that he studied Neil is the way I study both him and Derrick. I'll watch old Lagwagon, RKL, and Rush videos for hours on end some days (when I can) and study every last detail. Carrying the torch, I suppose!

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to ask about the Brown kit specifics. Like you said, I was just grateful to get the stories I did.

I'm stoked you got your snare up and running again! Those die cast hoops will definitely make for the cracking rim shot sound. Plus if you ever hunt down the white Ludwigs you'll already have a matching snare!
Ah, that makes sense. Must had been difficult finding footage of Peart, seeing it was before the age of YT and such.

Yeah I hear ya, the same here. I study both them as well; stopping, rewinding, slowing down, paying meticulous attention to both the stick motion and the feet alternating. I became more i guess fluent with my playing because of those guys. I'm sure it's taken you along way with your drumming also.

Like I said no big deal, most of the specifics are already known, and i don't think she would like to geek out on it as much as we do!

Me too, was about time I got it restored with fresh gear. The die cast is going to make a huge difference. The mass is heavier so they seat evenly around the head getting a sharper, crisp-crack range tone. Definitely will be looking for some Ludwigs in the future.

Last edited:
This is my current drum kit and how it looks right now (minus my 16, 18" AAX-Plosion Sabian Prototype Cymbals, I have them in a crash bag). They are the Artist Custom Line Slingerlands that was in production from 1989 - 1994 when it was in less demand. They sound really good tho I wouldn't mind upgrading to Ludwigs.
I have the toms mounted on tom stands and using the Tama counterweight cymbal booms with the ride on a Ludwig LM Modular stand from 1987. All my cymbal and tom stands are the vintage Tama lever locks, besides the ludwig one. All vintage stands.
The finish was blue but due to elements and age they turned into a greenish tent... Also, in need of new heads. I could rewrap it to white but I think like you said just find some Ludwigs in white would be the best choice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-02-11-48-45(1).png
    Screenshot_2020-10-02-11-48-45(1).png
    740.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_2020-10-02-11-49-27(1).png
    Screenshot_2020-10-02-11-49-27(1).png
    793.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2020-10-02-11-54-30(1)(1)(1).png
    Screenshot_2020-10-02-11-54-30(1)(1)(1).png
    962.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2020-10-02-11-49-45(1).png
    Screenshot_2020-10-02-11-49-45(1).png
    578.4 KB · Views: 13
@TxGroove The setup is looking tight! Here’s what I’m running these days. It’s a Tama Imperialstar from 2014. Setup like DP’s from 2001-02 with the ride cymbal in a more traditional spot. All the cymbals are Sabian. AAX X-Celerator Hi Hats, 19” Heavy and 20” Medium SR2’s for crashes, 19” AAX Xtreme China and a 20” AAX Metal Ride. All the stands are Tama Roadpro, one straight and three booms with the counterweights. Hi hat stand is the newest Iron Cobra Lever Glide. At the center is the DW 5000 AD4/Slug pedal combo. The beater is the Punch Collar model with the half ounce weight addition.

8-CB94-F98-3-BBF-4-B4-B-A0-B8-3-A867-FA687-C6.jpg

08-C3899-C-B273-42-C1-B8-DA-7-BE5-DA3202-CD.jpg

AE9-CCA73-465-C-4-FD1-84-F4-3947642-B2725.jpg

374721-DD-A6-B3-4257-92-FF-9-C9-C08-DCF374.jpg

32900-DF7-C32-D-4-C72-B78-B-743-B20-FEB007.jpg

@TxGroove The setup is looking tight! Here’s what I’m running these days. It’s a Tama Imperialstar from 2014. Setup like DP’s from 2001-02 with the ride cymbal in a more traditional spot. All the cymbals are Sabian. AAX X-Celerator Hi Hats, 19” Heavy and 20” Medium SR2’s for crashes, 19” AAX Xtreme China and a 20” AAX Metal Ride. All the stands are Tama Roadpro, one straight and three booms with the counterweights. Hi hat stand is the newest Iron Cobra Lever Glide. At the center is the DW 5000 AD4/Slug pedal combo. The beater is the Punch Collar model with the half ounce weight addition.
Thanks. Also, I find it easier playing with one tom; preferably my 12" rather than my 13" but since they are both on a stand I can easily switch them or move the right side one out but I'm trying to get use to playing both ways in a articulate fashion.
That's a nice looking set up, especially nice seeing the fresh modern Tama gear in use. Looks beautiful. Noticed you had it on the RKL set-up, booms positioned low and cymbals high up. Is that how you been playing on them?
I to am using Sabian cymbals with a 18" Wuhan China and Zildjian 14" New Beat Artisian Turkish Hi-Hats from the late 80's.
As for your Slug beater, is that collar weight permanent or can it be removed? I'm looking for a weight collar for my JazzPro Slug beater but I can't find a formal one that fits. The white jazz slug is very, very light and super fast, almost to fast and I was wondering if I can get just a bit more lag behind it with a collar, ideally from their company.
Are those the Neil Peart designed sticks in tampered shaft? I own a pair of his signature sticks, along with the natural 2B Promarks.

That's a nice looking set up, especially nice seeing the fresh modern Tama gear in use. Looks beautiful. Noticed you had it on the RKL set-up, booms positioned low and cymbals high up. Is that how you’ve been playing on them?

As for your Slug beater, is that collar weight permanent or can it be removed? I'm looking for a weight collar for my JazzPro Slug beater but I can't find a formal one that fits. The white jazz slug is very, very light and super fast, almost to fast and I was wondering if I can get just a bit more lag behind it with a collar, ideally from their company.

Are those the Neil Peart designed sticks in tampered shaft? I own a pair of his signature sticks, along with the natural 2B Promarks.
Thanks! Yeah I’ve been using the 01-02 setup for about a year now, I used to constantly switch it out between this and the old school high ride setup depending on what I wanted to do. I also find it easier to crash on the ride because I do that a lot with my bands music. I’ve had my cymbals in this configuration before doing the high ride position so it just comes natural that way. I also forgot to mention the snare stand is the Tama STAR, their top of of the top hardware. I have super heavy left hand on the snare, combined with using oak drumsticks, I didn’t want to cheap out when I upgraded.

For the Slugger, the weight collar is a permanent fixture. They have three different series with different weights (in ounces): the Jazz Pro (2.75), Standard (3.25), and the Punch Collar in two different weights: 3.75 and 4.25; I have the lighter Punch Collar beater. If you feel the pedal is too light, try adjusting the spring tension on your before buying a second beater. I measured my previous beater (DW 2 sided) on a kitchen scale to make sure I bought the correct weight on the first go. In short, adjust the pedal before buying again.

As for sticks, I‘ve always used Promark Oaks, but I’m constantly switching out the model. I currently use the 5B Oak Wood Tip with the Black Stick Rapp. I’ve used the Stick Rapp exclusively since 2015 after seeing Jordan Burns use it. Can’t ever play without it now! Previously I’ve used both the Neil Peart’s and the Natural 2B’s, though with a nylon tip on the 2B’s. I took almost all of my gear cues from Jordan from being a massive Strung Out fan before I learned more about Derrick’s gear. The sticks in that overhead shot are the Oak Nylon 747B’s, which I had used also previously. I had a few pairs lying around and decided to give them another spin.

Thanks! Yeah I’ve been using the 01-02 setup for about a year now, I used to constantly switch it out between this and the old school high ride setup depending on what I wanted to do. I also find it easier to crash on the ride because I do that a lot with my bands music. I’ve had my cymbals in this configuration before doing the high ride position so it just comes natural that way. I also forgot to mention the snare stand is the Tama STAR, their top of of the top hardware. I have super heavy left hand on the snare, combined with using oak drumsticks, I didn’t want to cheap out when I upgraded.

For the Slugger, the weight collar is a permanent fixture. They have three different series with different weights (in ounces): the Jazz Pro (2.75), Standard (3.25), and the Punch Collar in two different weights: 3.75 and 4.25; I have the lighter Punch Collar beater. If you feel the pedal is too light, try adjusting the spring tension on your before buying a second beater. I measured my previous beater (DW 2 sided) on a kitchen scale to make sure I bought the correct weight on the first go. In short, adjust the pedal before buying again.

As for sticks, I‘ve always used Promark Oaks, but I’m constantly switching out the model. I currently use the 5B Oak Wood Tip with the Black Stick Rapp. I’ve used the Stick Rapp exclusively since 2015 after seeing Jordan Burns use it. Can’t ever play without it now! Previously I’ve used both the Neil Peart’s and the Natural 2B’s, though with a nylon tip on the 2B’s. I took almost all of my gear cues from Jordan from being a massive Strung Out fan before I learned more about Derrick’s gear. The sticks in that overhead shot are the Oak Nylon 747B’s, which I had used also previously. I had a few pairs lying around and decided to give them another spin.
Yeah, Tama is very reliable. I looked at a few Tama kits for sale online simply for how they're built, along with their hardware.
Also, your setup looking stellar!

I definitely will try that. I feel it responds a lot better with loose tension, I get a better feel and more control out of it that way. I'll stick with the jazz pro, I think with this one it can be controlled in multiple ways depending on foot technique and getting use to the feel of it and of course spring tension plays a huge roll with beaters.

I started out using Vic Firth 7A the skinny ones when I was just really getting into learning drumming. But as I noticed when I started to use Promark sticks my hands felt more comfortable when i was playing harder drum fills, as for with the Vic's, the wood seemed more dry and harder and would really press against my hands rather than with the Pro's.
I never went back and never looking back. Also, they're manufactured here in Texas! Can't go wrong.

I feel it responds a lot better with loose tension, I get a better feel and more control out of it that way. I'll stick with the jazz pro, I think with this one it can be controlled in multiple ways depending on foot technique and getting use to the feel of it and of course spring tension plays a huge roll with beaters.

I started out using Vic Firth 7A the skinny ones when I was just really getting into learning drumming. But as I noticed when I started to use Promark sticks my hands felt more comfortable when i was playing harder drum fills, as for with the Vic's, the wood seemed more dry and harder and would really press against my hands rather than with the Pro's.
I never went back and never looking back. Also, they're manufactured here in Texas! Can't go wrong.
Yeah I was going to say that I was intrigued that you had the tightest spring tension with that light of a beater, almost going into direct drive pedal territory. Bass drum beaters make a bigger difference than most people think because of the subtle differences in weight. I felt an immediate change when I put the punch collar on my 5000. It felt a bit lighter, but I gained more control and I can lay into the drumhead with more power.

Its funny, I got introduced to Promark through the guys at my local shop because I was doing a school project involving drumsticks and they handed me pretty much every pair in their catalog (including the Neil Peart’s). Prior to that I had played every brand of sticks on the planet and they would break the day I’d get them. The first day I got Pro’s, it was game over; plus learning that all of my favorite drummers use them as well did it for me.

Last edited:
Yeah I was going to say that I was intrigued that you had the tightest spring tension with that light of a beater, almost going into direct drive pedal territory. Bass drum beaters make a bigger difference than most people think because of the subtle differences in weight. I felt an immediate change when I put the punch collar on my 5000. It felt a bit lighter, but I gained more control and I can lay into the drumhead with more power. Its funny, I got introduced to Promark through the guys at my local shop because I was doing a school project involving drumsticks and they handed me pretty much every pair in their catalog (including the Neil Peart’s). Prior to that I had played every brand of sticks on the planet and they would break the day I’d get them. The first day I got Pro’s, it was game over; plus learning that all of my favorite drummers use them as well did it for me.
Yeah I was going to say that I was intrigued that you had the tightest spring tension with that light of a beater, almost going into direct drive pedal territory. Bass drum beaters make a bigger difference than most people think because of the subtle differences in weight. I felt an immediate change when I put the punch collar on my 5000. It felt a bit lighter, but I gained more control and I can lay into the drumhead with more power. Its funny, I got introduced to Promark through the guys at my local shop because I was doing a school project involving drumsticks and they handed me pretty much every pair in their catalog (including the Neil Peart’s). Prior to that I had played every brand of sticks on the planet and they would break the day I’d get them. The first day I got Pro’s, it was game over; plus learning that all of my favorite drummers use them as well did it for me.
I agree with your statement on beater weight. I tried it on a tight tension and it was ridiculous, close to impossible to play with. Yes, I have it on about 7, 8 threads tight to be precise. Moves freely with more control as I have found.

Same here, haven't played another stick since and they're definitely worth the price. You picked the right sticks IMO.

Back