Anyone know what kind of gear/model late drummer Derrick Plourde used on his kit?

He used the same maroon kit from RKL with Lagwagon in 1995. You can see it here:

Something else up for debate: his snare drum. As seen previously, he had a matching snare drum with his white kit. It looks like later on he used a maple Pearl Free Floater judging by this image:

derrick.jpg

However this picture says he used a third snare. Unsure of the brand/make of it, but looks like a 5x14 of sorts:

2019-09-11-1.png

It also appears he used the same 1st Gen IC throughout his career.
His drumstick of choice from my research was the Promark 747 Hickory Natural Wood Tip. Regarding the longhorn icon, that's something that dates back to the Trashed era. He's wearing a shirt with the same graphic on it in the Island Of Shame video.

To me the black snare in the last pic looks like a Rocket Shell snare judging by the lugs and the shape of the badge. This is a guess based on a blurry photo, so I could be wrong. Rocket was a company that made shells out of carbon fiber, and they had plastic/composite lugs. The give away to me is the small silver circle on the sides of the lug. Again that's a guess based on a blurry photo.

Here's a link to the Rocket Shells web site

To me the black snare in the last pic looks like a Rocket Shell snare judging by the lugs and the shape of the badge. Rocket was a company that made shells out of carbon fiber, and they had plastic/composite lugs. The give away to me is the small silver circle on the sides of the lug.

You're right on this one. I checked out their website and did a quick search for more info. The lugs and black hoops match. I believe the one in the picture is a 6x14 because the 5x14 snares they make have offset lugs (whereas Derrick's doesn't).

To me the black snare in the last pic looks like a Rocket Shell snare judging by the lugs and the shape of the badge. This is a guess based on a blurry photo, so I could be wrong. Rocket was a company that made shells out of carbon fiber, and they had plastic/composite lugs. The give away to me is the small silver circle on the sides of the lug. Again that's a guess based on a blurry photo.

Here's a link to the Rocket Shells web site
Unique looking snare and everything matches on the photo to the Rocket shell. Amazing, never heard of them but that's the drum he was using in the photo. Nice eye.

I wonder if the Rocket Shells snare is used at this show: RKL - Skater’s Point Opening (2000)

It has a very marching snare-type sound, as marching snares are generally made of carbon fiber
The photo with the Rocket Shell, that was when he was with RKL, so, it probably was.

The first thing I noticed on the Rocket Shell were the lug spacing on the shell, typical marching snare style but they never mentioned "marching snare" on their website. I gave the Skater's Point video a listen and it sounds like one (Marching/Rocket Shell). Though, I can't say if it was the Rocket Shell, i'm only speculating it was because he was with RKL when that photo taken. The Rocket Shell has sorta of a marching snare sound to it.

Another image I have from the same show where we pinned down the Rocket Shell snare:

2019-09-17.png

A few things to note here: the Zildjian hi-hats and the Wuhan china. He also used a mix of Ludwig and Tama hardware. You can specify the Tama by the shape of the counterweights.

Another image I have from the same show where we pinned down the Rocket Shell snare:

A few things to note here: the Zildjian hi-hats and the Wuhan china. He also used a mix of Ludwig and Tama hardware. You can specify the Tama by the shape of the counterweights.
Definitely. The steel weights were the Ludwig models, as in were the Tama weights were the rubber. Also, I heard somewhere that his Zildjian Hi-Hats where the "K" brands. Can you tell the size of the Wuhan china?

Last edited:
I made a playlist dedicated to Derrick Plourde, I scrimmaged every video featuring him.

Oh wow, I didn’t know that was you! I have that playlist saved on my page. Thank you for keeping his legacy alive. I started teaching myself RKL songs after watching videos of Derrick playing with them. Hook ‘em!

On another note, I recently switched up my setup to a 4 piece and put the ride cymbal on a boom stand like Derrick used to do. I actually really like it, there’s more stability with the counterweight underneath.

Oh wow, I didn’t know that was you! I have that playlist saved on my page. Thank you for keeping his legacy alive. I started teaching myself RKL songs after watching videos of Derrick playing with them. Hook ‘em!

On another note, I recently switched up my setup to a 4 piece and put the ride cymbal on a boom stand like Derrick used to do. I actually really like it, there’s more stability with the counterweight underneath.
Yeah, I don't wanna take to much credit for making it, but it was definitely worth my time. Who else would've done it? Derrick's my favorite drummer!

Are you using a rubber or steel counterweight?

I got the steel Ludwig for my Ride just purchased as a new addition for my kit (1987) though it could easily be used for a crash cymbal just the same. I'm sure the Tama weights are just the same if not durable?

Yeah, I don't wanna take to much credit for making it, but it was definitely worth my time. Who else would've done it? Derrick's my favorite drummer!

Are you using a rubber or steel counterweight?

I got the steel Ludwig for my Ride just purchased as a new addition for my kit (1987) though it could easily be used for a crash cymbal just the same. I'm sure the Tama weights are just the same if not durable?
Not all heroes wear capes! I have a friend in Texas that got to see Lagwagon with Derrick on the Hoss touring cycle. He and his brother met him and Derrick showed them his technique and gear choices.

I'm using Tama Roadpro stands, so the rubber counterweights. They're my favorites, I personally wouldn't use any other hardware.

Not all heroes wear capes! I have a friend in Texas that got to see Lagwagon with Derrick on the Hoss touring cycle. He and his brother met him and Derrick showed them his technique and gear choices.

I'm using Tama Roadpro stands, so the rubber counterweights. They're my favorites, I personally wouldn't use any other hardware.
Thanks appreciate that. Wow, You're lucky enough to even know someone who even went to see the Hoss tour, nonetheless actually met Derrick!
I bet they would have a lot of insight on the gear he used such as the dimensions of his shells, skins choices, ect.

Maybe I should invest in the Tama RoadPro's? Plus, they're newer models and the boom is longer. I think the counterweight is suppose to stabilize the boom stand and eliminate the shock of the cymbal when you hit them, keeping you're cymbals protected longer and looks cool too. Definitely worth the investment if you want your cymbals to stand out and be protected.

My two crashes are on a basic boom stand. I had to get separate counterweights to attach to my normal booms. Helps a lot.

Thanks appreciate that. Wow, You're lucky enough to even know someone who even went to see the Hoss tour, nonetheless actually met Derrick!
I bet they would have a lot of insight on the gear he used such as the dimensions of his shells, skins choices, ect.

Maybe I should invest in the Tama RoadPro's? Plus, they're newer models and the boom is longer. I think the counterweight is suppose to stabilize the boom stand and eliminate the shock of the cymbal when you hit them, keeping you're cymbals protected longer and looks cool too.
I'm trying to get him to sign up on here and share what he remembers. He got to see the original Fat/Epitaph bunch in their heyday.

I highly recommend investing in the Roadpro's. They're super durable and flexible as well as very inexpensive compared to other brands.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get him to sign up on here and share what he remembers. He got to see the original Fat/Epitaph bunch in their heyday.

I highly recommend investing in the Roadpro's. They're super durable and flexible as well as very inexpenive compared to other brands.

I hope so, that would help and it would be appreciated by me and many others if he does. That's perfect, he probably knows more than what I already know now and on top of that, it's cool that he got to experience the Fat era of music, won't be one like it again.

I def will, I love Tama products anyway, they're my go to in drum hardware. What kind of drums do you play? I play a Slingerland, but I'm trying to slowly build up on a kit, either a Gretch, Tama, or Ludwig, I'm leaning more towards Ludwig right now.

What kind of drums do you play? I play a Slingerland, but I'm trying to slowly build up on a kit, either a Gretch, Tama, or Ludwig, I'm leaning more towards Ludwig right now.
I play a Tama Imperialstar from 2014 with an Orange County 25 ply 7x14 snare cranked super, super high. I’m looking to upgrade soon, I spoke with Bill Detamore, the head honcho at Pork Pie Percussion about a custom set of shells. I also look at older MIJ Tama sets from time to time.

I play a Tama Imperialstar from 2014 with an Orange County 25 ply 7x14 snare cranked super, super high. I’m looking to upgrade soon, I spoke with Bill Detamore, the head honcho at Pork Pie Percussion about a custom set of shells. I also look at older MIJ Tama sets from time to time.

Imperialstars sound good, i looked them up on reverb a few times. I might actually get a Tama kit, start with the bass drum, then slowly build up that way so I can actually get the right sound of the bass before i buy a whole set. Would like to hear how a custom set of Pork Pie's would sound.

DERRICK PLOURDE GEAR LIST

So far this is of all the gear that has been collected from the communities help on this forum.

SUMMARY

White Ludwig Duo Modulars Drum Kit w/ Blue and Olive badge (Early 80's) (Section 8/Lagwagon | 1989-1994).

Brown Ludwig Drum Kit w/ Keystone badge (Lagwagon, Ataris, RKL | 1995-2002).

WHITE KIT
:
- Ludwig Duo Modulars.
- Blue and Olive Badge.
- 12x13 Suspended Rack Tom.
- 16x16 Floor Tom.
- 16x24 Bass Drum.

BROWN KIT
:
- Ludwig Classic Maple Standard Mahogany "Stain" Finish.

- 12x13 Suspended Rack Tom (Lagwagon | 1995-1996).

- 16x16 Floor Tom (Lagwagon | 1995-1996).

- 10x13 Suspended Rack (Ataris & RKL | 1997-2001).

- 13x15 Floor Tom (Ataris & RKL | 1997-2001).

- 16x24 Bass Drum (uncomfirmed).

GEAR
:
- Remo Heads.

- Tama Iron Cobra 1st Gen. Pedal w/ Slug Beater (SlugPercussions).

- Promark Hickory 2B “the Natural” Wood Tip Sticks.

- Tama "Titan" Series Telescoping Heavy-Duty Boom Stands w/ Counterweights & Lever-Locks.

- Ludwig LM-431-BCS "Modular" Heavy-Duty Boom Stand w/ Counterweight.

Section 8/Early Years:
- Paiste 3000 Hi-Hat Series.

- Rude Crash 3000 Series.

- Zildjian A Series (Medium Crash).

- Paiste Rude 20" Crash/Ride Cymbal 3000 Series.

- Zildjian A Series Crash Cymbals; Medium Thin/Medium (Duh).

(Dimensions uncomfirmed).

Later Years:
- Pastie and Zildjian Crash Cymbals.

- Wuhan China Crash Cymbal.

- Zildjian Quick Beat Hi-Hats (Lagwagon, Ataris & RKL | 1994-2002).

(Dimensions uncomfirmed. Thinner weights; Medium Thin).

SNARES
:
- Gretsch "Natural Finish" Snare Drum 8x14 on White Kit (Lagwagon | 1992-1995).

- Ludwig 6.5x14 C.O.W. (Chrome over Wood) Snare Drum w/ Bow-Tie Style Lugs on Brown Kit (Lagwagon | 1995-1996).

- Pearl Free Floater Maple Snare Drum 6.5x14 on Brown Kit (Ataris & RKL | 1997-2001).

- Rocket Shell Carbon Fiber Classic Gray Snare Drum 6x14 on Brown Kit (RKL | 2001-2002).

Feel free to let me know if anything is missing, incorrect or, additional information is available.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited:
Back