Anyone know what kind of gear/model late drummer Derrick Plourde used on his kit?

TxGroove

Here's my pedal.Screenshot_2020-10-06-16-20-09(1).png1st Gen. Iron Cobra w/ white Jazz Pro slug beater. Also, I take the thread count back, i have it even looser, three threads tight!

Q-Ball Drummer

Same here, haven't played another stick since and they're definitely worth the price. You picked the right sticks IMO.
Yeah, I've found over the summer the Oak 5B is the stick for me. I use the Promark DC10 Oak marching sticks for warming up, however they're discontinued. The store I got them at just happened to have old stock and there were a bunch of pairs of them.
Here's my pedal.1st Gen. Iron Cobra w/ white Jazz Pro slug beater.
That's a sharp pedal setup! The white color of the beater really pops! Sounds like the looser tension is working well. I also forgot to add that the titanium beater shaft of the Jazz Pro's also play a role in its weight. The Punch Collar, Standard, and Junior series use the stainless steel shafts.

TxGroove

Yeah, I've found over the summer the Oak 5B is the stick for me. I use the Promark DC10 Oak marching sticks for warming up, however they're discontinued. The store I got them at just happened to have old stock and there were a bunch of pairs of them.

That's a sharp pedal setup! The white color of the beater really pops! Sounds like the looser tension is working well. I also forgot to add that the titanium beater shaft of the Jazz Pro's also play a role in its weight. The Punch Collar, Standard, and Junior series use the stainless steel shafts.
Are the 5B sticks thicker than the 2B? I'm looking for a pair of marching sticks, how has your experience with them gone so far?

Thanks, It's working like a charm, delivers a nice solid punch. Also, recently oiled the bearings for maximum smoothness.
Now all I need is a white drum kit and I'll be 100% as my OCD tells me otherwise...
Yes, titanium it is, would like to know the weight differential?

Q-Ball Drummer

Are the 5B sticks thicker than the 2B? I'm looking for a pair of marching sticks, how has your experience with them gone so far?

Thanks, It's working like a charm, delivers a nice solid punch. Also, recently oiled the bearings for maximum smoothness.
5B’s are thinner. They’re middle ground between a 5A and 2B.

The marching sticks work out really well for warming up. I‘ve found that shorter, thicker marching sticks are more effective so your kit sticks feel longer and thinner. But like I said the DC10’s are discontinued, what I bought was old stock.

I hear I get more punch and dynamics with the Slug beater that I did with the DW beater on my 5000. They felt heavy when I would do A-B comparisons, even without the beater weights. I felt I couldn’t pull off double strokes with precision like I can with the Sluggers. Combined with the Evans Aramid Fiber pads on a clear Remo Powerstroke 4 it’s the perfect kick drum setup.

TxGroove

5B’s are thinner. They’re middle ground between a 5A and 2B.

The marching sticks work out really well for warming up. I‘ve found that shorter, thicker marching sticks are more effective so your kit sticks feel longer and thinner. But like I said the DC10’s are discontinued, what I bought was old stock.

I hear I get more punch and dynamics with the Slug beater that I did with the DW beater on my 5000. They felt heavy when I would do A-B comparisons, even without the beater weights. I felt I couldn’t pull off double strokes with precision like I can with the Sluggers. Combined with the Evans Aramid Fiber pads on a clear Remo Powerstroke 4 it’s the perfect kick drum setup.
Interesting... Makes sense, especially for warm-up. I might look into getting a pair or budget marching sticks.

True, I owned the DW 3000 pedal (with bulky stock pedal) for the longest i can remember before upgrading to a Tama IC. I never even knew how to control my doubles and thought it was just my technique, until I moved to the Iron Cobra pedal with slug. Though, I own and used various beaters, I was amazed how much control/power I had with a lighter setup behind the beater.

Nice bass setup. I'm using a Aquarian clear Powerstroke II w/muffler ring and a Aquarian Super-Thin pad.. I'm soon going to switch it out with the Remo clear Powerstoke II with the Uni-batter badge from SlugPercussion. I wanna test the Remo PII and see how I adapt to the change. Read good things about them.

Q-Ball Drummer

16 years ago yesterday, the master himself left us. I found two excellent photos of him from people sharing stories of seeing and interacting with Derrick.

This first one is from sometime in 1992. With the white Ludwig's, 8x14 Gretsch snare, and drumsticks butt-end out!

white-kit-92.jpg

Montreal, March 9th 1995. I'm glad I finally found a photo of him using the Brown Classic Maple's with the Wagon. Look at how close the crash is to the rack tom!

montreal-95.jpg

This photo also tells us something else; that snare is NOT a Supraphonic! It does not have the Imperial lugs or a beaded shell! I'll be looking into this more when I get a chance so we can update the gear list.

Last edited:

TxGroove

16 years ago yesterday, the master himself left us. I found two excellent photos of him from people sharing stories of seeing and interacting with Derrick.

This first one is from sometime in 1992. With the white Ludwig's, 8x14 Gretsch snare, and drumsticks butt-end out!

white-kit-92.jpg

Montreal, March 9th 1995. I'm glad I finally found a photo of him using the Brown Classic Maple's with the Wagon. Look at how close the crash is to the rack tom!

This photo also tells us something else; that snare is NOT a Supraphonic! It does not have the Imperial lugs or a beaded shell! I'll be looking into this more when I get a chance so we can update the gear list.

Time flies, such a legend...
Wow, very interesting fine! Seeing the Montreal picture, the drums look more slightly angled upwards, slightly less than 180°. Rather than some of the older images, (mostly on the white kit) being more angled inward 45°. I do find that a flatter setup, it's easier to get on top better for that full tom sound but that could just be the way the photo is angled... Overall, in this image, kit looks big and tall, and everything looks stilted, now that we can see a decent photo of Brown Town.

Find out the actually snare model and I'll change it up in no time.

Last edited:

Q-Ball Drummer

in this image, kit looks big and tall, and everything looks stilted, now that we can see a decent photo of Brown Town.

Find out the actually snare model and I'll change it up in no time.
I also noted that too. With the White Kit, his rack tom was more inclined as I’m guessing that’s what was more comfortable for him at the time. Clearly by 95 with Brown Town, he reduced the incline angle. I can certainly say I’ve had ridiculous tom angles and I’ve changed them overtime. Its also interesting he used such a large depth rack tom with what appears to be a low throne height.

Still working on finding it the snare! It’s definitely some kind of 6.5x14 metal snare, just the make of it escapes me.

In the meantime, here’s a new video for the Plourde Archive! 8/26/1994 at Berkeley Square!

TxGroove

I also noted that too. With the White Kit, his rack tom was more inclined as I’m guessing that’s what was more comfortable for him at the time. Clearly by 95 with Brown Town, he reduced the incline angle. I can certainly say I’ve had ridiculous tom angles and I’ve changed them overtime. Its also interesting he used such a large depth rack tom with what appears to be a low throne height.

Still working on finding it the snare! It’s definitely some kind of 6.5x14 metal snare, just the make of it escapes me.

In the meantime, here’s a new video for the Plourde Archive! 8/26/1994 at Berkeley Square!
I had my experience with inclining also. Not that inclining your toms is a bad thing at any means, if it works for you ergonomically, do what suits you best. A lot of jazz guys do it. Especially players who use traditional grip, which makes sense. I'd rather hear a tom hit rather than a rim shot any day!

You'll find it out in time. I'll also look around and try to help. Do you have a starting point on what brand it might be?

Done. Interesting, totally missed this and it's the full set!

Q-Ball Drummer

Haven’t posted in awhile in checking this thread. I just stumbled across this:

Lagwagon in Milan, February ‘95. High quality HD transfer, originally shot on 8mm film. Audio is stellar, Derrick’s drums cut through fantastic. Completely blows the version that’s been online for years out of the water. More to add the Plourde Archives.

I hope everyone is doing well!

TxGroove

Haven’t posted in awhile in checking this thread. I just stumbled across this:

Lagwagon in Milan, February ‘95. High quality HD transfer, originally shot on 8mm film. Audio is stellar, Derrick’s drums cut through fantastic. Completely blows the version that’s been online for years out of the water. More to add the Plourde Archives.

I hope everyone is doing well!
Awesome. Will add to the playlist ASAP. Been awhile since I been on here myself but haven't forgotten about the thread. Been well and I hope the same for you and everybody else.

Also, want to give a Happy B-Day to Derrick and the Plourde Family!

P.S.: still trying to find the info on his metal snare drum. I still believe it's a Superphonic type Ludwig drum as I've seen two different style "lug" designs (bow-tie & slopped) on this particular model Ludwig snare drum. The same one he's actually using in the link above. I'd put money that it's probably a Superphonic Ludwig drum.

TxGroove

Recently stumbled across a posted Lagwagon video from Oct. 31, 1994. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out.