Anyone know what kind of gear/model late drummer Derrick Plourde used on his kit?

TxGroove

I’m honestly not sure, it was definitely a wood snare. It might be a USA snare, the die cast hoops are still correct. Definitely sounded great, Derrick still tuned it high like all of his snares.

I’m sure you could get the Slingerland to sound just like it with the correct drumheads and tuning.
Yeah at least it exist and dimensions are accurate.

I'm sure i could. I want to swap the generic hoops with Die Cast hoops and a super hoop on bottom, i don't think die cast hoops matter if its on the bottom. I already have a Remo Emperor batter smooth crimplock head that was budgety but that's about it right now.

Q-Ball Drummer

After doing some searching around, the Gretsch 8x14 snare from the Duh/Trashed days is a USA-made maple snare, in a white finish. It has a square badge which is consistent with their snares from the 80's when that drum was made. 8x14 is also a standard snare size, not a marching snare size.

Q-Ball Drummer

Just finished correcting.
Awesome! I’ve learned that the standard depths usually for snares are 5”, 6.5”, and 8”. Anything else is considered an odd size from my understanding. Plus it would seem a bit drastic that Derrick would go from a 10” deep snare right to a 6.5” deep Supraphonic, so the Gretsch being 8” in depth makes more sense and matches the photos we have.

TxGroove

Finally we get to see the rest of this show from this angle.
Totally understand your perspective on this. It would seem a bit odd Derrick having down sizing from a deeper depth snare drum to nearly half the size in length, like you mentioned. All in all, glad you scooped that out!

Awesome, this is also a nice fine.