Anyone know what kind of gear/model late drummer Derrick Plourde used on his kit?

Q-Ball Drummer

I would like to hear them myself. Thinking on that subject, do you think they exist somewhere? Maybe the band still has like on cassette in storage. Usually most bands save their b-sides and rerelease them years later.
They might be out there somewhere. Kris has been posting a bunch of rare Ataris material on Bandcamp so hopefully if they are real they'll turn up there. He did post the original Anywhere But Here demos, before Derrick joined the band, when him and Jasin were still playing with a drum machine.

TxGroove

I’ll be stoked when my copy of the ‘97 release comes in the mail.
Thanks for the link!
Same here, still waiting on mines.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy the prices of the that debut album but totally worth it. I got mines for a pretty good deal and I myself like to keep it old school and buy CD's of all my favorite bands to this day haha. I might even someday try to get it on vinyl.

Q-Ball Drummer

Thanks for the link!
Same here, still waiting on mines.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy the prices of the that debut album but totally worth it. I got mines for a pretty good deal and I myself like to keep it old school and buy CD's of all my favorite bands to this day haha. I might even someday try to get it on vinyl.
I still buy physical records from to time, I haven't gotten rid of my CD and vinyl collection. A summer project I have is to put my records in Discogs and get a full scope of what I have, amongst other endeavors.

I don't think I asked you; what are some of your favorite Derrick songs to drum/listen to? Some of mine include (from each band he's been in): Coffee And Cigarettes, Bite My Tongue, All American Badass, Twisting And Turning, Off The Wagon, and Paralyzed (Another Shill) from the Jaws album.

TxGroove

I still buy physical records from to time, I haven't gotten rid of my CD and vinyl collection. A summer project I have is to put my records in Discogs and get a full scope of what I have, amongst other endeavors.

I don't think I asked you; what are some of your favorite Derrick songs to drum/listen to? Some of mine include (from each band he's been in): Coffee And Cigarettes, Bite My Tongue, All American Badass, Twisting And Turning, Off The Wagon, and Paralyzed (Another Shill) from the Jaws album.
What are Discogs, I've heard of it but never knew anything about it?

Good taste in song. I have a few main plays I like to drum to "Know it All", and a attempt at "Bye for Now" and "Rust". For Bad Astronaut "Solar Sister" and "Single". "Clara" and "Myself". I really like "All American Badass", But I have to go with "Easy Cheese" as my favorite but the entire album was really good itself. I eventually might post a drum cover someday. hopefully "Bye for Know" if I every do one.

Q-Ball Drummer

What are Discogs, I've heard of it but never knew anything about it?

Good taste in song. I have a few main plays I like to drum to "Know it All", and a attempt at "Bye for Now" and "Rust". For Bad Astronaut "Solar Sister" and "Single". "Clara" and "Myself". I really like "All American Badass", But I have to go with "Easy Cheese" as my favorite but the entire album was really good itself. I eventually might post a drum cover someday. hopefully "Bye for Now" if I every do one.
Discogs is a website that you can search for records down to super specific details like the catalog number. You can also buy and sell as well.

Nice, Bye For Now is another favorite of mine as well, and definitely one of the hardest Plourde songs to play. Bro Dependent is another favorite from Hoss because the majority of it is in a 7/8 time signature. Love Clara as well, Alone In Santa Cruz is also great since its got that blues-y groove throughout, as well as Make It Last. Depleted Salvo is another Mad Caddies favorite of mine, I wish that he drummed on all of Rock The Plank than having split it with Boz Rivera.

Have you checked out the Jaws record yet? He's got some super creative parts going in the songs on that record.

TxGroove

Discogs is a website that you can search for records down to super specific details like the catalog number. You can also buy and sell as well.

Nice, Bye For Now is another favorite of mine as well, and definitely one of the hardest Plourde songs to play. Bro Dependent is another favorite from Hoss because the majority of it is in a 7/8 time signature. Love Clara as well, Alone In Santa Cruz is also great since its got that blues-y groove throughout, as well as Make It Last. Depleted Salvo is another Mad Caddies favorite of mine, I wish that he drummed on all of Rock The Plank than having split it with Boz Rivera.

Have you checked out the Jaws record yet? He's got some super creative parts going in the songs on that record.
I like all of Hoss but my favorite is "Black Eyes", and "Kid's Don't Like to Share".
I wish the same on Rock the Plank, it was confusing at first until i looked it up but I can tell the difference due to his style and chops, still a great album.

I have. I've listened to it about three times now and I'm really digging it. Is Derrick on drums on that Death and Taxes record?

Q-Ball Drummer

I like all of Hoss but my favorite is "Black Eyes", and "Kid's Don't Like to Share".
I wish the same on Rock the Plank, it was confusing at first until i looked it up but I can tell the difference due to his style and chops, still a great album.

I have. I've listened to it about three times now and I'm really digging it. Is Derrick on drums on that Death and Taxes record?
It’s funny a lot of my favorite tracks from Hoss are the outtakes. Drive By (my favorite to drum to), Over The Hill, Laymen’s Terms, among others. Kids Don't Like To Share was one of the first Lagwagon songs I ever heard.

Yeah you can definitely tell which songs are Boz and which ones are Derrick. According to the album liner notes, Plourde drummed on Days Away, Weird Beard, Easy Cheese, Hound Bound, Depleted Salvo, and All American Badass.

Yep! Derrick drummed on the entire record. They’re like Bad Astronaut, except with more distorted guitars; Joe Raposo played bass on the whole record as well. Some of my favorites include Polarity, Let It Ride, Fired At Me, Paralyzed (Another Shill), and Honesty Honestly.
After doing some rooting around I found their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Jaws-58158732143/about/?ref=page_internal
These are the influence they listed: Jawbreaker, Jawbox, Rocket from the Crypt, Nirvana, Burning Airlines

Last edited:

TxGroove

It’s funny a lot of my favorite tracks from Hoss are the outtakes. Drive By (my favorite to drum to), Over The Hill, Laymen’s Terms, among others. Kids Don't Like To Share was one of the first Lagwagon songs I ever heard.

Yeah you can definitely tell which songs are Boz and which ones are Derrick. According to the album liner notes, Plourde drummed on Days Away, Weird Beard, Easy Cheese, Hound Bound, Depleted Salvo, and All American Badass.

Yep! Derrick drummed on the entire record. They’re like Bad Astronaut, except with more distorted guitars; Joe Raposo played bass on the whole record as well. Some of my favorites include Polarity, Let It Ride, Fired At Me, Paralyzed (Another Shill), and Honesty Honestly.
After doing some rooting around I found their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Jaws-58158732143/about/?ref=page_internal
These are the influence they listed: Jawbreaker, Jawbox, Rocket from the Crypt, Nirvana, Burning Airlines
Love the Hoss outtacks! Reminds me of the summer of 2011, sitting all day, playing video games and jamming Let's talk about leftovers over a bowl of cereal lol. Some of my favorites like you mentioned are on there like; Drive by, over the hill ect. Those silly but catchy classics to say the least. The cover of Leftovers album is epic.

I still need to get the Mad Caddies record. I'd rather order it from their website or from the record site to benefit the bands name. I wish I could had done that with the Ataris debut album, but I'll end up buying Kris' demos anyway.

Cool, really never thought he got the chance to record for Jaws. I thought it was a tribute album. Is there a physical copy of that record or just digital? My favorites so far are Honesty Honestly, Polarity and Paralyzed (Another Shrill) as you mentioned is another good one to.

Q-Ball Drummer

Love the Hoss outtacks! Reminds me of the summer of 2011, sitting all day, playing video games and jamming Let's talk about leftovers over a bowl of cereal lol. Some of my favorites like you mentioned are on there like; Drive by, over the hill ect. Those silly but catchy classics to say the least. The cover of Leftovers album is epic.

I still need to get the Mad Caddies record. I'd rather order it from their website or from the record site to benefit the bands name. I wish I could had done that with the Ataris debut album, but I'll end up buying Kris' demos anyway.

Cool, really never thought he got the chance to record for Jaws. I thought it was a tribute album. Is there a physical copy of that record or just digital? My favorites so far are Honesty Honestly, Polarity and Paralyzed (Another Shrill) as you mentioned is another good one to.
Same here, reminds me of summer 2015 hearing those songs for the first time then going to the Fat Wreck 25 tour and seeing them play Trashed in full for the first time.

Yeah I definitely want to pick up Rock The Plank at some point. As with the Atari's record, its refreshing to hear Derrick do something that is not fast. Especially songs like Weird Beard and All American Badass, with their respective sea shanty and polka styles.

In the case of Jaws, I'm guessing that Derrick had tracked his drums before the release, then he sadly passed away. The complete album did not get a release until around 2007 or 2008 because the song Laid Him Down is a tribute to Derrick and was written after his death. As far as I can tell, it is only in digital format. I've checked Discogs to see if it exists in physical form and nothing came up.

TxGroove

Same here, reminds me of summer 2015 hearing those songs for the first time then going to the Fat Wreck 25 tour and seeing them play Trashed in full for the first time.

Yeah I definitely want to pick up Rock The Plank at some point. As with the Atari's record, its refreshing to hear Derrick do something that is not fast. Especially songs like Weird Beard and All American Badass, with their respective sea shanty and polka styles.

In the case of Jaws, I'm guessing that Derrick had tracked his drums before the release, then he sadly passed away. The complete album did not get a release until around 2007 or 2008 because the song Laid Him Down is a tribute to Derrick and was written after his death. As far as I can tell, it is only in digital format. I've checked Discogs to see if it exists in physical form and nothing came up.
Awesome, never got to see Lagwagon play since they haven't been around in town from where i'm from. Maybe someday. Trashed is my favorite album i would of freaked.

Yeah, it just shows how skilled he could be on the drums at any temp, in any band. On the Trashed album i read he made the drum notes first and had Joey, Fat Mike and the others write songs over them.

Good statement. I plan on buying it someday digitally.

Q-Ball Drummer

Yeah, it just shows how skilled he could be on the drums at any temp, in any band. On the Trashed album i read he made the drum notes first and had Joey, Fat Mike and the others write songs over them.

Good statement. I plan on buying it someday digitally.
Derrick could do it all, a big reason why he was incredible; the ability to transcend genres, especially with the Jaws record because of how dynamic the music is.

Wow, is that really how Trashed was written? That's insane. I know he would contribute riffs for a song in those early days since he was a guitar and bass player as well.

Last edited:

TxGroove

Derrick could do it all, a big reason why he was incredible; the ability to transcend genres, especially with the Jaws record because of how dynamic the music is.

Wow, is that really how Trashed was written? That's insane. I know he would contribute riffs for a song in those early days since he was a guitar and bass player as well.
True, and to commit it all to memory is pretty fascinating itself. Even though Bomer started the thrash beat on drums, Derrick popularized it and made it even better, and kept it alive.

I read it on a article last summer. I didn't know about the riff part, that's pretty cool. An architect of an entire band it seems.

Q-Ball Drummer

I received my 1997 Anywhere But Here CD in the mail about a month ago. Found this photo in the liner notes:

It appears he did have the china cymbal in his setup for this record, which is interesting because he did not use it at the record release show. He still used his iconic "high ride" setup during this time.

Last edited:

Q-Ball Drummer

I have a new theory regarding the 10x14 Gretsch Snare. After doing some research and comparison, it is actually a Gretsch 8x14 Maple snare. Here is how I figured this out:

- Looking at the photo of the 10x14, the lugs looks too far apart from each other and the badge.
- Listening to the Lagwagon video from their Goat's Head Soup show, Derrick's snare produces a cracking rim shot that I can't hear in high tuning demos of the 10x14.
- Derrick's snare had a square badge and no internal muffler.

For reference: Here is Lagwagon's show from Goat's Head Soup. Here is a high tuned demo of a 10x14. It doesn't have that cracking rim shot sound Derrick's produced.

Last edited:

Local Oaf

My favorite Lagwagon record is Hoss and as a tangent here, I just learned that the son of the actor who played Hoss on Bonanza is Hitchcock from Brooklyn 99.