Anyone know what kind of gear/model late drummer Derrick Plourde used on his kit?

TxGroove

Yes! Hangover was their go to opener in those days. I hope that the full show ends up online as well someday, given its the only known pro-shot performance of them with Derrick on the kit. Here's another video to add to the playlist

They also played Noble End at this show (Montreal 3/9/1995), in my opinion their best documented performance of that song. Even better, it appears to be directly from the master tape.
Right, that would be awesome! I just added it. Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to keep a eye out for any new finds or new uploads.

Q-Ball Drummer

Another note I forgot to bring up. I noticed with the Brown Classic Maple's in 1995 Derrick played with a larger set of toms. My suggestion is he used this kit in two different configurations. First he used 12x13 and 16x16 toms with Lagwagon (1995-96) then switched to the 10x13 and 13x15 toms with The Ataris and RKL (1997-01). You can see the larger toms in action here:

TxGroove

Yr
You can see the larger toms in action here:
Thanks for pointing that out. They definitely look bigger after comparing the two. I got a good look at them at the three minute mark on the Ataris video just now, a whole lot narrower. Do you think this is something I should add to the gear list?

I'm wondering if the brown kit came with two toms when he got them? Now, is it just me or do you see another rack tom on the Ataris video on the left side by the ride? Not sure if it's in action though. try to confirm that maybe the floor tom but looks to high up, not to sure.
So, he is using the 10x13 tom and a 13x15 floor tom in the Ataris release show?

Q-Ball Drummer

Yr
Thanks for pointing that out. They definitely look bigger after comparing the two. I got a good look at them at the three minute mark on the Ataris video just now, a whole lot narrower. Do you think this is something I should add to the gear list?

I'm wondering if the brown kit came with two toms when he got them? Now, is it just me or do you see another rack tom on the Ataris video on the left side by the ride? Not sure if it's in action though. try to confirm that maybe the floor tom but looks to high up, not to sure.
So, he is using the 10x13 tom and a 13x15 floor tom in the Ataris release show?
Yes, I think that the for the Brown Classic Maple's (another note: they're just regular Classic Maple's, not Pro's), he used them in those two configurations.
1. 12x13 and 16x16 (also suspended) toms with Lagwagon (1995-96)
2. 10x13 and 13x15 toms with The Ataris & RKL (1997-2001)

It's entirely possible that this kit came in more than just a four piece; good point! Also I took a look at the Ataris video, he's using just one rack tom. And yes, he's using the 10x13 and 13x15 tom setup in that video.

Another bit to mention; with the Supraphonic snare, we should just list it as a Supraphonic. Its up for conjecture what material it's made of (i.e. aluminum, brass, etc.)

Last edited:

TxGroove

1. 12x13 and 16x16 (also suspended) toms with Lagwagon (1995-96)
2. 10x13 and 13x15 toms with The Ataris & RKL (1997-2001)
Ahh i see. For sure, I'll edit them when I get back on my laptop. The more accurate and close specific details the better.
I went back on page 3 and you did mention the suspended toms in these specific dimensions (10 x 13 and 13 x 15) minus the new find on the 12 x 13, along with a photo similar to the Brown kit Derrick used, totally forgot about that.

Q-Ball Drummer

Ahh i see. For sure, I'll edit them when I get back on my laptop. The more accurate and close specific details the better.
I went back on page 3 and you did mention the suspended toms in these specific dimensions (10 x 13 and 13 x 15) minus the new find on the 12 x 13, along with a photo similar to the Brown kit Derrick used, totally forgot about that.
Yep, both floor toms were suspended by Modular mounts. As well as the Tama Titan stands, he did use the Ludwig Modular Boom Stands with counterweights you had listed previously. He used a combination of the two brands.
Also, he did not use the Supraphonic snare on the White kit, only the Brown set. I checked the pictures brutus209 posted from the expanded Duh LP and the chrome snare in the pictures doesn't match a Supra (e.g. no beaded shell).

Last edited:

Q-Ball Drummer

Ludwig Supraphonic Snare Drum 6.5 x 14 Brown Kit (Lagwagon | 1995-2001)
Rocket Shell Carbon Fiber Classic Gray Snare Drum 6 x 14 on Brown/Maroon/Burnt Orange Kit (RKL | 2000-2001).
The Supra was used from 1995-1996, and the Rocket Shell was used from 2001-2002, the year Derrick left RKL.

Q-Ball Drummer

Also to add the first configuration of the Brown Classic Maple’s to the gear list. 12x13 and 16x16 toms with Lagwagon (1995-1996).

Another thing about Derrick's gear I'm interested in finding: his ride cymbal. I've searched high and low for a model, to no avail. Everything about it was beautiful, especially the bell on it if you watch The Ataris release show and the RKL Skate Park opening. From what I can tell of it, it's a Paiste with black lettering and has some kind of hammering on the bottom side.

TxGroove

Another thing about Derrick's gear I'm interested in finding: his ride cymbal. I've searched high and low for a model, to no avail. Everything about it was beautiful, especially the bell on it if you watch The Ataris release show and the RKL Skate Park opening. From what I can tell of it, it's a Paiste with black lettering and has some kind of hammering on the bottom side.
Just edited it. On the Ride, it kinda looks like the Paiste Big Beat Ride but that's just a guess. Also, it could have been a custom ride cymbal. It does unique.

Last edited:

Q-Ball Drummer

On the Ride, it kinda looks like the Paiste Big Beat Ride but that's just a guess. Also, it could have been a custom ride cymbal. It does unique.
I actually don’t think that it’s a Big Beat because watching the videos and listening, it sounds like a heavier weight ride. The bell and stick definition was really cutting through Kris and Jasin’s guitars in The Ataris video. I’m guessing since it’s a black letter Paiste, that it might be one of the many Signature rides they offer. Big Beats are more of a Crash/Ride cymbal, Derrick used his strictly as a ride cymbal.

TxGroove

I actually don’t think that it’s a Big Beat because watching the videos and listening, it sounds like a heavier weight ride. The bell and stick definition was really cutting through Kris and Jasin’s guitars in The Ataris video. I’m guessing since it’s a black letter Paiste, that it might be one of the many Signature rides they offer. Big Beats are more of a Crash/Ride cymbal, Derrick used his strictly as a ride cymbal.
I listened to the Big Beat and you're right, it's to crashy. Do you think it's the same ride used with Lagwagon and RKL?

TxGroove

Yep! He used it throughout his career with all of his bands. I was looking at the 22” Signature Full Ride as being the closest candidate to what he had.
Nice, it does sound similar, especially the bell with a nice ping, very traditional cymbal, nevertheless it sounds tasty. Wouldn't Surprise me if it was the same making.

Q-Ball Drummer

Nice, it does sound similar, especially the bell with a nice ping, very traditional cymbal, nevertheless it sounds tasty. Wouldn't Surprise me if it was the same making.
I agree, Paiste makes some outstanding rides; Jordan Burns used a 22” 2002 Power Ride on every single record he’s done for both Strung Out and Pulley.

I had even considered the 22” Signature Precision Heavy Ride as a candidate for Derrick due to its extensive hammering, however the Signature Precision cymbals didn’t get released until 2013. Ultimately it’s down to what sounds closest to Derrick’s ride to your ears.

Last edited:

Q-Ball Drummer

Today marks 15 years since Derrick's death. As I've stated many times in this thread, I would not be the drummer I am today if it were not for him. Lagwagon's early records got my start on punk rock and Derrick was the drummer I'd read in the credits. His technical ability completely changed how I view punk rock drumming. Later discovering he played with other incredible bands: RKL, Bad Astronaut, The Ataris, and the Mad Caddies in his later years made my interest grow further. He's up in the ranks with the likes of Smelly, Bomber, and Earl Hudson. There were so many things he was doing with his playing that had not been done before. His wicked snare rolls, ever-changing kick drum patterns, and eccentric ride cymbal work. I can't say enough about him; there was no drummer like him. I can also guarantee that any of the bands/artists he's worked with wishes he was still around everyday. I'm also glad that threads like this and the YouTube playlist constructed by @TxGroove exist to make sure he is still remembered for years to come. Here's to Derrick Plourde; hook 'em.

TxGroove

Today marks 15 years since Derrick's death. His wicked snare rolls, ever-changing kick drum patterns, and eccentric ride cymbal work. I can't say enough about him; there was no drummer like him. Here's to Derrick Plourde; hook 'em.
Couldn't have said it any better! Been thinking about him all day yesterday. A true pioneer in the modern punk drumming scene. He is missed.

Q-Ball Drummer

Someone messaged me a day or so ago and sent me a few pictures of one of Derrick’s sticks. I figured I’d share them here for everyone to enjoy! It’s the same Promark Natural 2B Wood Tip sticks we have in the gear list:

“You know where to put this.” He was a class act when it came to his sense of humor.

Also for anyone who hasn’t heard this already, this is the album from that band “Jaws” Derrick was a part of. They put out one album in 2004, from what I understand it’s the last thing he recorded before his passing.

Last edited:

Q-Ball Drummer

Here's some photos I found, thought i'd might as well share 'em
Wow these are classic, great shot of the Barfoot sticker on the rack tom! Excellent finds my friend!

I remember years ago, someone made a website ‘derrickplourde.com’ about one month after his passing and it was full of stories and great pictures of the master himself. And his drums of course! The original website is sadly long gone, but still exists on archive.org. The only downside about it is it’s been long forgotten about and most of the images are broken. It’s a shame that apart from the RKL pictures, there aren’t any good snapshots of the Brown Classic Maple’s from his Lagwagon days.

Last edited: