Anyone know what kind of gear/model late drummer Derrick Plourde used on his kit?

TxGroove

Derrick's brown kit was a Ludwig Classic Maple Pro. The rack tom was a 10x13, the floor tom was a suspended 13x15. I compared the spacing of the lugs on other Ludwig sets to his many times and those sizes matched up. The official name for the finish was standard mahogany.

the RKL Skater's Point show in 2000. After watching the end where Derrick is tearing down, he used the maple Pearl Free Floater, not the Rocket Shell as we originally thought.
That's a great comparison to the brown kit he used. As for the diameters of the toms, i'll take your word on it, that's an ingenious way of sizing them up based off of an image. I think we might have actually found out most of everything from the brown kit, as in shells/finish.

Also a thing to note in the recent photos with RKL, he had on clear heads. I don't know if that was a thing he did with RKL, or for playing live shows?Maybe he used coated heads for the studio or, permanently (live and studio) when he was w/ Lagwagon. Just something I thought I should point out... Now for the white kit, break it down as much as you can. I'd like to hear about that. The recent image you found is a good addition for his white kit.

Q-Ball Drummer

Also a thing to note in the recent photos with RKL, he had on clear heads. I don't know if that was a thing he did with RKL, or for playing live shows?Maybe he used coated heads for the studio or, permanently (live and studio) when he was w/ Lagwagon. Just something I thought I should point out... Now for the white kit, break it down as much as you can. I'd like to hear about that. The recent image you found is a good addition for his white kit.
As far as drumhead preference, I think he just got whatever he could get his hands on. Now as for the white kit, they also look to be Classic Maple Pro's with the blue and olive badge (the lugs are the exact same ones as on the mahogany kit). The rack tom by a quick glance look to be a 12x13, but don't quote me on it. The floor tom looks to be a 16x16, while also thinking in terms of separation of sound (I also took that into account when determining the mahogany kit sizes).

Last edited:

Q-Ball Drummer

Doing new research, I can make some confirmations; the mahogany kit are indeed Classic Maples. I also made some new discoveries with the white kit:
- It is most definitely a Duo Modular (I've never seen those drums with the keystone badge, only the blue and olive)
- The rack tom is most certainly a 12x13. Once again comparing lugs side by side, with the aid of a Ludwig catalog scan from the early 80's
- The floor tom appears to be a 16x16. Using lug comparison and thinking in terms of separation of sound.
- The kick drum appears to be a 16x24 (looking at the catalog with the kick sizes they list).
- The snare drum is NOT a Slingerland! It is actually a 10x14 Gretsch Parade Snare (more info below)

Last edited:

Q-Ball Drummer

Regarding the white kit snare, here is how I can confirm the Parade Snare. Here's one in a Marine Pearl Finish:

Here is Derrick's set:

The lugs and circular center vent match, but the biggest giveaway is the die-cast hoops. So it was most definitely a 10x14 marching snare, just not a Slingerland as we once thought.

Last edited:

TxGroove

Regarding the white kit snare, here is how I can confirm the Parade Snare. Here's one in a Marine Pearl Finish:
The lugs and circular center vent match, But the biggest giveaway is the die-cast hoops. So it was most definitely a 10x14 marching snare, just not a Slingerland as we once thought.
OK, now that all the info on both kits are about 90% known, I re-edited the list I previously made with the shells and hardware/gear, so it's more uniformed and easier to read.

Since you can confirm the Gretsch from the Slingerland, i also re-edited that too. You're right on this. Gretsch actually bought Slingerland drums in the early 80's (Identical style lugs) which was part of the Gibson Company, who just recently sold Slingerland brand to DW Drums just a few days ago, on Nov. 25 2019, just a little over a week ago.

So, without further-a-due the only confirmation left is the bass drum on the Brown kit (Classic Maple Pro's).
My hypo is it was a 16 x 24 bass drum. Seeing that Derrick had played with those dimensions on the white kit. Also knowing, he was rather particular with the drums he played with. Until decided, it's up for conjecture at this point.

Q-Ball Drummer

Gretsch actually bought Slingerland drums in the early 80's (Identical style lugs) which was part of the Gibson Company, who just recently sold Slingerland brand to DW Drums just a few days ago, on Nov. 25 2019, just a little over a week ago.

So, without further-a-due the only confirmation left is the bass drum on the Brown kit (Classic Maple Pro's).
My hypo is it was a 16 x 24 bass drum. Seeing that Derrick had played with those dimensions on the white kit. Also knowing, he was rather particular with the drums he played with. Until decided, it's up for conjecture at this point.
Yes that’s right, I remember reading about it! I forget that a lot of the smaller companies get acquired by larger names. I’d also like to think the mahogany kick drum was a 16x24 but I’ll be digging deeper to get an exact answer.

Was Derrick super specific about his shell sizes? I’m interested to know what he was thinking when deciding his kits if you have anything to back that up.

Q-Ball Drummer

Been meaning to post this. Here’s my kit set up as to what Derrick had from about ‘94 until about 2000. Note the crashes up front, the ride cymbal raised up on the right side and the China high up.

E2B9155D-0482-41D5-B2D9-7F12BE2F64DD.jpeg

Last edited:

STRALIYA

All I can say is they were Tama brand. Even the brand of heads he used would be cool to know. I try to model my drumming off Derrick, he is really the first drummer that truly inspired me to play the drums when I was a young kid. Bottom line is if anybody knows ANYTHING about his drum kit setup it would be of help. Thanks!

Q-Ball Drummer

SNARES:
- Gretsch Marching/Parade Snare Drum 10 x 14 on white kit (Lagwagon/92-95).
- Pearl Free Floater Maple Snare 6.5 x 14 (RKL/2000's).
- Rocket Shell (Carbon Fiber) Gray Snare Drum 6 x 14 on brown/maroon/burnt orange kit (RKL/2000's).
A couple things to add to this section:
- New snare discovery: Ludwig Supraphonic Aluminum 6.5x14. Used 1995-96. You can see/hear it in the Lagwagon Milan 2/27/95 and Montreal 3/9/95 videos.
- Derrick used the Pearl Free Floater during his time with both and RKL and The Ataris, which was in 1997. The correct years of use are 1997-2001.
- The Rocket Shell was used from 2001 until Derrick stopped playing with RKL*. The proper name for this one is the Carbon Classic. To confirm further, here's a 6x14 Carbon Classic. You can see the lugs sit directly on top of each other.

*I've never been able to get a solid answer for this. How long was Derrick in RKL? The majority of the sources I've read state that he was in the band from about 2000 until around 2002.

Last edited:

Local Oaf

I have nothing to contribute to this thread except to say Lagwagon’s “Hoss” is one of my all-time favorite albums. I remember hearing Derrick’s drumming as a teenager in the late-90’s and being completely blown away. It was unlike anything I’d ever heard before.

brutus209

Some interesting photos I found in the expanded DUH lp. From the days of Section 8. This kit appears to be the same kit Bomer used, the Barfoot sticker is a dead giveaway. My thoughts are that the white set of ludwig duo modular Could very possibly have been Bomers white kit. The brown snare appears to be a Gretch with the square badge and a Ludwig in the next photo.

Attachments

Q-Ball Drummer

Some interesting photos I found in the expanded DUH lp. From the days of Section 8. This kit appears to be the same kit Bomer used, the Barfoot sticker is a dead giveaway. My thoughts are that the white set of ludwig duo modular Could very possibly have been Bomers white kit. The brown snare appears to be a Gretch with the square badge and a Ludwig in the next photo.
These are awesome, love to see early Lagwagon photos. If we can get it confirmed that Derrick owned Bomer's white Ludwig kit at some point in history, that brings things full circle almost since every other member of Lagwagon played in some formation of RKL. @TxGroove and myself were able to get the specs of this kit confirmed a few months back. Here is what we found:

WHITE KIT:
- Ludwig Duo Modulars.
- Blue and Olive Badge.
- 12 x 13 Rack Tom.
- 16 x 16 Floor Tom.
- 16 x 24 Bass Drum.
- Gretsch Marching/Parade Snare Drum 10 x 14 on white kit (Lagwagon/92-95).

Last edited:

Q-Ball Drummer

I was able to find the photo of Derrick's drumsticks from someone who got to open for the Mad Caddies in 2001 when he played with them:

He used 2B's throughout his career. You can see it under the Promark logo. My friend who met him in 1995 was able to confirm this.

Last edited:

TxGroove

He used 2B's throughout his career. You can see it under the Promark logo. My friend who met him in 1995 was able to confirm this.
I haven't been on here in over a month but reading through all the new comments and viewing the new pics, which to me was pleasingly satisfying to say the less.

I also took a screenshot of the new gear discovered, so I can re-edit the gear list on the other page with my laptop later on. Also, the setup on top is exactly similar to the way Derrick had his, glad you took the time to show us, it helps a lot. Thanks

Q-Ball Drummer

I haven't been on here in over a month but reading through all the new comments and viewing the new pics, which to me was pleasingly satisfying to say the less.

I also took a screenshot of the new gear discovered, so I can re-edit the gear list on the other page with my laptop later on. Also, the setup on top is exactly similar to the way Derrick had his, glad you took the time to show us, it helps a lot. Thanks
As I've said before, I'm happy to help! There aren't that many people that are into this kind of thing.

I knew he had some kind of metal snare between the Parade and the Free Floater but never would've guessed a Supraphonic. A true classic :cool:

TxGroove

As I've said before, I'm happy to help! There aren't that many people that are into this kind of thing.

I knew he had some kind of metal snare between the Parade and the Free Floater but never would've guessed a Supraphonic. A true classic :cool:
I went ahead and re-edited the gear section on the previous page, it's all corrected. Yeah, neither would I, glad we probed it, a true classic alright.

Q-Ball Drummer

I went ahead and re-edited the gear section on the previous page.
Awesome! It looks great! There are a few things I should clear up:
- He only used the Promark Hickory 2B “Natural” Wood Tip Sticks
- The Supraphonic snare was used with both the white and brown kits
- For hardware, he also used the Tama Titan series boom stands with counterweights

Also, these are years of use for all his sets:
- White Duo Modular: 1989-1994
- Brown Classic Maple: 1995-2001

Q-Ball Drummer

Here’s a photo of a young Derrick I came across a few weeks ago:

I have no information on this kit, other than it appears that it was pieced together from several kits. This is also the drum set that was shown at the end of the video for Heartbreaking Music. I’d like to pin the date/year of this image to the late 80’s when Lagwagon was called Section 8.

TxGroove

Here’s a photo of a young Derrick I came across a few weeks ago:

Awesome, I cleared up the gear section page with the correct info. As for the picture, that's a pretty cowboy'd up kit there lol nice find!
I also found a R.K.L. video live at the Catalyst, that I some how left out of the playlist, found it in my watch later list for some reason. I just added it! Seems to be the opening of the show. I hope someday the whole show at the Catalyst will be on youtube.

Q-Ball Drummer

I also found a R.K.L. video live at the Catalyst, that I some how left out of the playlist, found it in my watch later list for some reason. I just added it! Seems to be the opening of the show. I hope someday the whole show at the Catalyst will be on youtube.
Yes! Hangover was their go to opener in those days. I hope that the full show ends up online as well someday, given its the only known pro-shot performance of them with Derrick on the kit. Here's another video to add to the playlist:

They also played Noble End at this show (Montreal 3/9/1995), in my opinion their best documented performance of that song. Even better, it appears to be directly from the master tape.