Anyone know what kind of gear/model late drummer Derrick Plourde used on his kit?

TxGroove

From what my friend recalls, Derrick used the green one
I read the Black is for heavier situations which would make sense if you play louder music... can you go fast with it? The White beater is more light so you can feather the beater but also, play fast and get a good punch from the head. It's my favorite pedal beater.
Thanks for the photo. Do you know how long this Slug company's been around and if this is the same beater he used?

Q-Ball Drummer

I read the Black is for heavier situations which would make sense if you play louder music... can you go fast with it?
Do you know how long this Slug company's been around?
You can absolutely go fast with it, just depends on what feels right for your feet. I could play Lagwagon and NOFX songs for days on mine.
Slug has been around since the mid 90’s, the Power Head beaters have been out since March 1995. I’d like to think Derrick got his between then and when Hoss came out in November.

Q-Ball Drummer

Thanks for the information, really cool to know. I've always thought SlugDrums came out in recent years, but that's because I've only known about them for like a year now.
Absoutely. They're a very small company, you can read more about them here. They make a lot of great gear. What kind of setup do you have currently?

TxGroove

What kind of setup do you have currently?
Thanks, I'll do that now. Currently, i'm playing on a Vintage 70's Slingerland kit, with 14", 16", 18" and 20" cymbals and a Tama rolling glide 1st gen. Iron Cobra (Single pedal) also have a IC double pedal 2nd gen. I generally use but I need to replace the beater holder since mines snapped.

I'll try to put up some pics of my setup soon for a more accurate description.

I'm trying to one day hopefully build the same kit setup Derrick had on the Trashed era with the white Ludwig kit, and accessories, miscellaneous, ect. as a future project, if I get the time and money to do so. That's sorta why I started this forum, and I've appreciated all the help I've gotten so far! :)

Q-Ball Drummer

Thanks, I'll do that now. Currently, i'm playing on a Vintage 70's Slingerland kit, with 14", 16", 18" and 20" cymbals and a Tama rolling glide 1st gen. Iron Cobra (Single pedal) also have a IC double pedal 2nd gen. I generally use but I need to replace the beater holder since mines snapped.
Sounds awesome! My kit is a 10”, 12”, 16” tom setup but I just use the 12” rack tom right now. I have a DW 5000 Accelerator double with the two Slug Beaters with the half ounce weight collar, but just use the single pedal right now (gotta keep those double strokes in check!) I used an Iron Cobra with a DW beater for the longest time but when I moved I had a long layoff of drumming and when I got back on the kit it felt way too smooth. I tried the DW and it felt better. Putting the Slug beater on has made it the perfect setup (thanks Derrick)!

I’m looking at getting a Tama Granstar set from the 80’s as my next kit. A lot of drummers from that scene used power size toms to get their sound. Derrick of course, also Jordan Burns (Strung Out/Pulley) and Sean Sellers (Good Riddance) to name a few.

Last edited:

TxGroove

Sounds awesome! My kit is a 10”, 12”, 16” tom setup
I forgot to mention my tom sizes, which are 12", 13, and 16 x 16, floor tom, rack toms are both 9" in length and I use a 22 x 18 bass drum with a 14 x 6 snare drum, and of course my 14 x 10 sparkling blue marching snare, but need to replace the heads and the snares.
I use to play on a DW 3000 but i found it to be to heavy even when I loosened tension, so i sold it and got the IC. I like DW and still wanna get the 9000 pedal ever since I've heard good things about. just a bit out of my budget right now. Nice, I bet the 5000 acc. is just as smooth as the 9000 pedal. Yeah seriously, it seemed like almost all of them had larger sized shells to credit their drumming, especially the Fat Wrecks and Epitape scene. They don't make them like they use to. When do you plan on getting the Tama Granstar set?

Q-Ball Drummer

I bet the 5000 acc. is just as smooth as the 9000 pedal. Yeah seriously, it seemed like almost all of them had larger sized shells to credit their drumming, especially the Fat Wrecks and Epitaph scene. They don't make them like they use to. When do you plan on getting the Tama Granstar set?
The 5000 is for sure smooth, with the Slug beaters striking the perfect balance since they’re a hair lighter than the stock DW beaters. Yeah, Sean Sellers used a power sized Pearl kit in the early days, Jordan Burns used a Ludwig power sized set on the first few Strung Out records before joining Mapex in 1998. Hopefully I can get the Granstars soon, I’m not in a good financial place to get a set currently.

TxGroove

Hopefully I can get the Granstars soon, I’m not in a good financial place to get a set currently.
Some of the coolest drums you'll see imo. Same, I think I'll have to start off Shell by Shell so i don't brake the bank, if I wanna see it through. It is ah hassle but hey, i like a good drum kit.