Anyone know what I could expect to sell these for?

I'm going to call around tomorrow to see who will give me the best offer on two shell packs that I want to get rid of. The first being three Gretsch Catalina Maples, sizes 22, 16 and 12. The snare and 14 floor that come with the kit no longer exist. The bass drum spurs are missing and the ugly hardware piece for the tom mount was removed long ago. Couple minor scratches but overall in good shape. Fully fitted with Remo heads in good condition.

The second kit is a 70s Pearl blue sparkle mahogany kit. 20, 16, 12. This one is literally just the shells stripped of all the original hardware which was so eroded that it was practically useless. The drums themselves have great tone though and the bearing edges are in good shape.

Could some experienced guys around here tell me what I can expect to get for these?

Thanks!

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I would place the Gretsch around $200 and the Pearl $100-150. Replacing hardware on an entire kit is pricey. If you are talking about trade-in the numbers could almost be cut in half.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
That’s what I would have said on the Gretsch. The Pearl? Maybe $50.
I'm thinking $150 on the Gretch and near nothing for the Pearl shells. A dealer will not even talk to you about the Pearls. They will do nothing but take up space and collect dust. You will need to sell the naked shells on CL or ebay.

GeeDeeEmm

wildbill

Platinum Member
I'm going to call around tomorrow to see who will give me the best offer on two shell packs that I want to get rid of. ....

Figure out what you could sell them for on your own,
and then expect to be offered somewhere around half of that if you're taking them in for someone else to sell.
If a store thinks they can sell them for $200, then they'll give you $100 or so, maybe more if they're in really good shape,
or you have a good working relationship with them.

I wouldn't expect much for the Catalinas as they're missing the spurs and tom mount.
You might have a hard time getting rid of the Pearls.
Do you have a fireplace or a fire pit? - ha ha.
Oh wait - blue sparkle? - forget the fireplace.

Edit: OK, maybe there's someone out there who has all the pieces for the Pearls and is looking
for some shells - doubtful, but possible. Like gdm says, try CL or ebay.
Gifting or donating is always possible too.

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'm thinking $150 on the Gretch and near nothing for the Pearl shells. A dealer will not even talk to you about the Pearls. They will do nothing but take up space and collect dust. You will need to sell the naked shells on CL or ebay.

GeeDeeEmm

I'm with Garry on this one. I mean, complete kits around here don't sell for much of anything. You'd be better off selling these do maybe a drum builder who could use them and possibly has hardware lying around. With that said, These are not good for "flipping" for anyone. If someone has some spurs lying around, maybe they can do something with the Catalinas. However, that Pearl kit's hardware is worth more than the shells.