Anyone know the color of this PDP Concept Maple Kit?

bobbav67

Hi Gang. I just purchased this Concept Maple kit at Sam Ash on Saturday. They claim it is a color exclusive to Sam Ash, and discontinued by PDP. The shell pack was manufactured in October 2018, as indicated by the date stamp in one of the shells.

I cannot find anything whatsoever on this color, and the tag states PDCM2217GBF, in which the GBF stands for Gloss Blue Fade. That color, though, is actually a solid to light blue fade and NOT the blue to natural finish in this kit. Also, it isn;t really a fade, in that the stain intermixes with the natural maple throughout each shell.

I contacted PDP and a resource was supposedly looking into the authenticity of this specific color. I also emailed DW but an awaiting their reply.

Does anybody know about this color and/or have seen it at a Sam Ash before?

Thanks!

Attachments

Old Dog new Cans

That's a really sweet looking kit. I've emailed and called PDP customer service with questions earlier this year. If you have no luck here, they're very helpful--at least they were for me.

Killer looking kit.

bobbav67

That's a really sweet looking kit. I've emailed and called PDP customer service with questions earlier this year. If you have no luck here, they're very helpful--at least they were for me.

Killer looking kit.
THANK YOU SIR! Yes, I was holding out for their Pearlescense White kit, but fell head-over-heels when I saw this color. What is confusing me is the serial tag states a completely different color, either that, or the newer version to this supposed discontinued color. The Drum Manager stated that they had one other, exact color of this kit earlier this year that lasted about a day in the store when they put it on the shelf.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think the gloss blue fade is probably the formal color name, even if you don't think it's a good description. It was on the tag. If it's a new not a used kit then I would have to go with what's on the tag. There is gloss, there is blue, and it does fade.

bobbav67

I think the gloss blue fade is probably the formal color name, even if you don't think it's a good description. It was on the tag. If it's a new not a used kit then I would have to go with what's on the tag. There is gloss, there is blue, and it does fade.
Thank You. I was able to contact someone at DW who is looking into it as well.

bobbav67

UPDATE. Response from DW:

Hi Bob,

We called that “Gloss Blue Fade” and it was an exclusive for Sam Ash in late 2018.

MORGAN YOUNG | CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
PHONE: (805) 919-2416 | FAX: (805)485-1334

johnwesley

Silver Member
Glad you got your answer, but wonder what difference it makes. Ain't going to make 'em sound any better than if they were Pearlescense White or banana yellow. They are nice looking and I hope you enjoy them.

Old Dog new Cans

Man, I REally love that limey looking green. Whatever it's called, it is cool looking. People say a lot of this and that about DW and their prices and exotic woods and such. But one thing for SURE, they have some GREAT finishes on their drums. I know this isn't technically DW.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Man, I REally love that limey looking green. Whatever it's called, it is cool looking. People say a lot of this and that about DW and their prices and exotic woods and such. But one thing for SURE, they have some GREAT finishes on their drums. I know this isn't technically DW.
Actually it is technically DW. They don't like to admit it but a lot of their shells are the same just branded PDP instead of DW. Hardware is different looking but basically the same and made in the same factory. BTW, DW owns Gibraltar.

Old Dog new Cans

Actually it is technically DW. They don't like to admit it but a lot of their shells are the same just branded PDP instead of DW. Hardware is different looking but basically the same and made in the same factory. BTW, DW owns Gibraltar.
That's interesting, because of the price point between the 2 brands. I like both. I own a PDP M5 kit that I refurbished earlier this year. They sound great too. I knew that about Gibraltar, I like a lot of DW's and Gibraltar hardware.

IBitePrettyHard

That's a good lookin' kit!

Here's 2 more "Gloss Blue Fade" from the Sold Listings on Reverb. (both sold by Sam Ash)

It looks like their definition of Gloss Blue Fade can mean anything blueish, haha, as they don't look like your kit. Nonetheless, your kit is awesome looking...and unique.

bobbav67

That's a good lookin' kit!

Here's 2 more "Gloss Blue Fade" from the Sold Listings on Reverb. (both sold by Sam Ash)

It looks like their definition of Gloss Blue Fade can mean anything blueish, haha, as they don't look like your kit. Nonetheless, your kit is awesome looking...and unique.

Thanks Bud! Yes.....From what Sam Ash said, they discontinued my specific color and the PDP tag on the tom crosses to those colors above. They advertised the kit on closeout at $899, but it rang up at $850!

IBitePrettyHard

Thanks Bud! Yes.....From what Sam Ash said, they discontinued my specific color and the PDP tag on the tom crosses to those colors above. They advertised the kit on closeout at $899, but it rang up at $850!
You got a great deal, a lotta drums for the money! One benefit to having that finish is if you ever want to sell it, a good selling point is to mention that it's a "rare" finish. I'm looking a drums constantly, and I've never seen that finish before, haha.