anyone know of any good lo-fi drum kits?

tutu10

New to lo-fi and my first couple songs turned out way better than anything I’ve ever made somehow. Want to keep going and bang out at least 100 new ones until I can really figure out what I’m doing. Anyone have any large drum kits of lo fi drums and sounds?

Any drum kit in piano black with metal bass hoops, pipe tom arms, and offering "power tom" sizes in the 21st century.

I assume that's what you mean by "lo-fi"

I have no idea what a "lo-fi" drum set is.

Usually, people get lo-fi sounds from their drums by using crummy mics, bad miking techniques, terrible preamps, and bad EQing on the mixdown.

It should be pretty easy.

Any drum kit can be made to sound lo fi.

Even the worlds best drums can be made to sound lo fi.

It all starts in your head, with what sound you are going for.

The drums will comply if you know exactly what you want.

It does take real life experience to know what to do to the drums to get the specific sound you are going for.

You would have to describe in more detail what you mean by lo fi sound, before any suggestions could be made on how to get your drums to sound like you want.

Does lo fi mean a low tuned set in your head? High tuned? Medium?

Do you want the tom sound to die right away or do you want some sustain?

Same question for the snare and bass drums.

Are you going for a crisp drum tone, a muddled drum tone, or something else?

Are you going for a deliberately "bad" sound?

The better you can describe the end game, the more we can help you get there.

I don't know if I'm right, but to me, lo fi is essentially Mike related. Any good drums recorded through saturated microphone are gonna sound lo fi. I therefore wouldn't go towards too bad drum kit and set the "bad quality" with the miking.
I would play an open sounding kit (no dampening, metal snare, no hole in the bass drum front skin) and let the Mike go frankly in the red zone.

Ribbon mic in to a tape recorder?

Guys, I'm pretty sure that the OP is looking for "lo-fi" sampled sounds that he can use in his recordings - not a lo-fi drum kit.

"Anyone have any large drum kits of lo fi drums and sounds?"

Shoot me if I'm wrong.

GeeDeeEmm

Guys, I'm pretty sure that the OP is looking for "lo-fi" sampled sounds that he can use in his recordings - not a lo-fi drum kit.

"Anyone have any large drum kits of lo fi drums and sounds?"

Shoot me if I'm wrong.

GeeDeeEmm

Ahh, if that is the case this might be better served over in Electro Drums.

I made my own by using an EQ to roll off the highs or just applying a low pass filter and saturation to the drums you already have. But if you want a pack, there are hundreds of free ones online.

This is a good point. If you don’t need to do it live a lot can be done in post to get that sound. If you need it live and don’t have a digital board and your own sound guy it might be a bit different.

If you're talking ITB, look for bit reduction, distortion, overdrive, saturation, and wave shaping.

Back