Anyone know anything about this snare? Custom? - 12 Lug, 14x9"

DaMead

Hi all,

Recently saw this oddity on eBay and seeing as it was £150 I thought it was worth a bid! It's a 14x9" (Yes, NINE) Hammered Brass snare with 12 lugs. There are no logos, makers marks or anything on the drum. I don't recognise the lug design, but looking at the strainer and butt end, and vent holes (there are two vents if that is a clue); the drum seems old-ish. Although there is very little pitting/patina on the finish.

I plan to mod the drum, new hoops, lugs and strainer, I'm thinking, but it's one hell of a drum, an absolute cannon! I'm not interested in working out what it is to value it, or anything, I jut wanna see what it is.

Hope to hear back from you guys!

- Dan

Attachments

IBitePrettyHard

What a unique looking drum! Is that a wood inlay glued to the rims?

The throw-off is from Gibraltar...although it may or may not be the original.

The butt plate appears to be much older and doesn't match the rest of the hardware.

If there are no signs of where a badge used to be, my inclination is that it's a custom project drum or frankendrum made by an enthusiast or metal worker.

DaMead

What a unique looking drum! Is that a wood inlay glued to the rims?

If there are no signs of where a badge used to be, my inclination is that it's a custom project drum or frankendrum made by an enthusiast or metal worker.
Cheers for the reply!

It is indeed wood inlay, I plan to swap to wooden hoops/claw hooks in future though, I'd prefer die case but with it being 12 lug it'd be a struggle to get hold of!

I'm thinking its a custom/project to be honest, I'm looking forward to modding it!

DaMead

The lugs are definitely CB
I agree, must just be a cobbled together project by a metal worker, considering 14 x 9" isn't anything I've seen much of before, and double beading hasn't been overly popular for about 30-40 years ish, those lugs are the first thing to go, however, they are hiding the shell too much