Anyone here play a 13", 14", 16" setup?

Hey there, all. I have a drum kit that has 13, 14, and 16 inch toms and a 24 inch bass. It's a fiberglass (Pearl) kit.
I've been experimenting quite a lot to get a great sounding kit with different head combinations and different tunings.
I'm a little stuck on trying to find good rough pitch tunings and intervals between toms. Does anyone have a setup like this where you've found good pitches and intervals that you could recommend for me to add into my experimenting?
Much thanks!

I used to. The 14" tom was a mismatch, so I sold it and went with a matching 12".
My 14" was a floor tom, so I've got no problem tuning them to a nice interval. A 14" rack tom might get trickier, though.

I have 13 by 9 . 14 by 14 . 16 by 14.. 3 wise monkeys..

yes i used to run 13/14/16 for my old premier kit. i used to tune them from the lowest tom to highest, with the resonant heads a little bit higher than the batter heads.

start with the resonant heads, get them to a sound you like, then tune the batter heads to how you like. theres no set way of doing it, as everyone has different sounds they like :)

The core of my Gretsch kit from around 1980 is 13, 14, 16, 22. Awesome kit overall, but I’ve never been super happy with the 13’s tuning when using that 5-piece setup. But in a 13, 16, 22 four-piece config, the 13 tunes up great. So it’s getting a nice differentiation between the 13 and 14 while still having a good playing feel that’s been the bane of setups.

I used to play 12, 13, 16 and I'm sure most of us did and one time. The one inch is too close for me. Now 8, 10, 12, 14 floor

Close. My current gigging config is 14x11, 15x12 and 16x13 with a 24 inch kick.

I've always been a one up/two down kind of guy and like PorkPieGuy I use the 'Three Blind Mice' tuning interval.

Back