Anyone have this book? Bass drum essentials

MLdrum

It looks OK (after looking at the pages allowed by Google), but I think you would do better with the fatback(/bassdrum) excercises from the book Time Functioning Patterns by Gary Chaffee.

I think you'll find it on Amazon =)

MLdrum

Or you could do some excercises I do, playing singles, doubles and different paradiddles between my hands and feet. Usually subdivided in sixteens, but also triplets.

(R=right hand, L=left hand, K=kick. In case you didn't think so automatically =)

Examples

Singles
|: RKRK RKRK RKRK RKRK | LKLK LKLK LKLK LKLK :|

|: RKR KRK RKR KRK | LKL KLK LKL KLK :|

Doubles
|: RRKK RRKK RRKK RRKK | LLKK LLKK LLKK LLKK :|

|: RRK KRR KKR RKK |

Paradiddle
|: RKRR KRKK RKRR KRKK | LKLL KLKK LKLL KLKK :|

And then: etc, etc, etc.. I think you see how it developes =)

utdrummer

nhzoso---try this book. It is a classic. I started in this years ago and got good quickly using a single pedal. Start slowly with a metronome and build speed as you can. It's not about being fast, but being creative and knowing when to drop those bass bombs. Look for this on amazon or ebay. There is one other book that I can't think of right now but I'll post it if I can find it...good luck! In case the print is too small, it's "bass drum control" by Colin Bailey.

Attachments

N

nhzoso

cool thanks... I will look for the Bass drum control book..let me know if you remember the other one too.

skreg

I just bought the "Unburying the Beater" DVD and the system feels great. It's not packed with excersises, rather, it focuses on the mechanics of playing a bass pedal. The system makes a lot of sense and feels AWESOME.

Also look at the Bergamini/Famularo book "Pedal Control" - although this is tailored toward double pedal setups. You might be surprised to see how much fun double pedal setups are to play if you haven't tried in the past.

-sheldon