Anyone have a DW snare, NOB, or other, with the new tension rods?

Road Bull

Silver Member
I am really digging on some DW snares lately. My main snare is a Ludwig LM402 14x6.5" snare. I love the way it sounds, but I feel the hardware is a bit lacking sometimes. I get the P85, and I understand that there are many viable replacements. That doesn't seems to bother me as much as the snare going out of tune during songs. Admittedly, I am throwing a fair amount of rimshots down. I know it is asking a lot of any snare to stay in tune giving those conditions, but, it seems that during several songs, a tension rod has backed out and is flopping around. I know there are a few band-aids that one can use to lessen this loosening effect, but I would prefer to find something that can handle hits better overall.

I have gotten good at playing one handed during less demanding parts to quickly tighten the lug, but I have to think that some snares handle this better than others. I have an older DW NOB 14x5" snare. It obviously doesn't have a magnetic 3-position snare strainer, or fancy high thread tension rods, but it seems like it handles abusive rimshots much better. I would have to think that more threads equals more surface area for tension rods to bite into the lug grooves. To me, I would have to guess that this type of set up would be better overall for both fine tuning, and staying in tune during heavy hitting.

Does anyone have anything to add/offer concerning DW NOB snares, their new tension rods, or overall quality?

I would be leaning more towards a 14x6.5", or 14x8" as I already have the older 14x5" NOB snare. Aesthetically, I like the 14x8" with all the lugs on both sides of the drum. The 14"6.5 with the single center lug makes the tension rods look a bit long IMO. Not too bad, but YMMV. I had a chance to tap on both of these for a bit at Don Bennett Drums in Bellevue WA. They both sounded pretty sweet. I think the 8" might have sounded a bit more "focused", but I didn't play around too much with different tunings while I was there.

For what it is worth. I play in a fairly loud, heavy band. So either one of these options seems like it would fit the bill. I am just trying to figure out what one to obsess over till I pull the trigger on one. LOL...

6.5">> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToMJiyDWOLU

8">> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0LLznXpMBI

porter

Platinum Member
Why not try a lug-locking product first? There are certainly a wide range of options, from the cheap plastic squares, to Tuner Fish, to the Gauger "Lockerz", to Tightscrews, etc...

If purchasing a new drum, I'd go with a deeper snare for higher tunings and vice versa. Seems a little counterintuitive but the deep snare provides some body to a high tuning and a shallow snare keeps a low tuning from getting too rowdy with the overtones (this is all very general of course).

Road Bull

Silver Member
Yeah, I have looked at some of that plastic stuff made to lock lugs, and have read the mixed reviews. It seems to me the problem with many of those devices is that they are trying to balance a cheap plastic design that accomplishes the mission that they can charge you a fair amount for.

The only design that looked somewhat more substantive looks like a somewhat large threaded washer that the tension rod threads though that is used between the rim and the lug sleeve. It looks like it simply gets snuggled down to the lug and acts as some sort of tension brake. I have not seen anyone sell them at music shops. This leads me to believe that either the company has gone out of business, the product doesn't work, or it is just something that people get at a hardware store.

As far as the DW NOB snares go, I would almost certainly get the 14x8". Aesthetically, it is the most pleasing snare I have seen in a while. Just an obscene amount of hardware! But it's good, functional hardware. Nice and loud too!

Road Bull

Silver Member
I wish more snare reviews wouldn't bother to hit the drum somewhat loudly. I like knowing how sensitive it's near can be, but I would also like knowing how loud it can be and how it sounds when is played with authority.

Winegums

Silver Member
The issue is that you're slamming down on your rim and it's releasing the tension on the tension rod. My suggestion would be to find a nut that you can attach on the bottom side of the hoop. This way you could tune up the drum then lock the tension rod in place to your rim by tightening the bottom nut.

If the above doesn't work I would suggest finding a few disc springs and using them in addition to the nut. They will keep constant tension on the nut and rod not allowing it to turn.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Yeah, this looks like the best next step. Off to the hardware store!

Haha.. I still want that NOB DW snare though. LOL.

Mendozart

Platinum Member
I use the Tightscrews tension rods right where I hit rimshots, problem solved. I do not put them on each lug though.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Is this a tension rod problem or just an excuse for another snare!
Well... both I suppose. Ha. The Supra sounds good enough to keep no matter what, but I would like to address the detuning.

In addition, I would love to pick up the DW.