Anyone Familiar with the Evans HD Snare Batter?

Rom Servo

Hey guys,

im a long time reader but a first time poster,
so, im putting all new heads on my entire set! ive already got everything decided on but im jumping into some new snare head ideas. back when i played more metal-ish music i used to use an evan hydraulic snare batter. since ive been plating jazz, which has been some time, ive been using a remo powerstroke 3. i really like the ping i get from near the edge but still a dry pop in the middle. the powerstroke 3 is a single ply (10mil) with a ring around the edge underneath. now, im thinking of switchin over to the evans HD which is similar in that it has a 2 mil ring underneath, however is a 2ply (7.5 and 5). i thought about going with the HD dry, but was worried the holes would get in the way of brushwork. i was just wondering if anyone has ever used this head for any genre and how you liked it and had it tuned...

im really open to any head at this point and am looking for maybe a comparison to the remo powerstroke3 for sound reference. oh and im going with white coated on this one.

thanks!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum :)

The HD dry is very dry, especially if you like a bit of ring around the edge. Those holes don't get in the way of brushwork, but they do significantly affect the sound near the hoop. If you've already found a head on your snare that you like, then stick with it. That said, if you're into jazz, depending on the drum you have, I'd encourage you to experiment with lighter coated heads without any extra muffling element. Using a lighter single ply head means some extra work in tuning skills, but presents a wider sound palate from which to choose. Personally, I always like to rely more on hoop choice & tuning to control my sound, rather than resorting to head muffling if possible.

Good luck.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I use HD dry on all of my snares amd though I do not use brushes a lot, I have not had an issue with sticking the brush in the holes. If you would like I can try some exttended play tonight and PM you with my results. Glad to help sice heads aren't cheap

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
I just bought one for my walnut snare, I have tried everything else and the Ambassador sounded fine but some one on this forum suggested the HD Dry so I put it on and will give it a workout this Thursday when I get down to the rehearsal space I use; I tested it out a bit at home in the apartment and I think that this is the sound that works best for me and this particular snare; the other heads just had too much snap to them. I also tried the Genera dry on my metal snare and it worked well. I have so many spare 14' heads now this has to be the one.
In the end it may take some experimentation.

Cheers

Nickropolis

Why switch if you like Powerstroke 3?

The Evans equivalent is the Genera, it doesn't have holes. Genera Dry does, it will do what it says and dry out the sound some more. I have one on a brass piccolo snare and it's a good balance in my opinion.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Well as promised I spent a bit of time doing some brush work on my HD and had no issues. I had more problems with the bristles getting caught between the hoop and the head. This speaks for my skill level currently. I would not let the holes stop you from buying the head.

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
I just bought one for my walnut snare, I have tried everything else and the Ambassador sounded fine but some one on this forum suggested the HD Dry so I put it on and will give it a workout this Thursday when I get down to the rehearsal space I use; I tested it out a bit at home in the apartment and I think that this is the sound that works best for me and this particular snare; the other heads just had too much snap to them. I also tried the Genera dry on my metal snare and it worked well. I have so many spare 14' heads now this has to be the one.
In the end it may take some experimentation.

Cheers
I just checked it out at home and the head is very responsive to brush's, no problems with the teeny holes. I think you will like it; and so will I. Can't wait to get to the space to give it a workout.