Anyone ever worked with a bad drum teacher?

PaisteDrummer95

I'm glad (even though it's unfortunate) that I'm not the only one who was ran into crappy drum teachers. At least I know it's not me.
Absolutely the same thought. I always have heard how others came from their lessons saying how perfect it was and then there was me. I’m happy for each of you who found a great teacher at the end.

PaisteDrummer95

not all of us are like that!!!

you might just have to keep up the search a bit...

a goos filter to use is: in the very first session, if they don't ask "what do you want to work on?", you might need to be skeptical. Also if they don't ask you to play right away, I would be a little concerned.

For me, I need to know my students goals right away, and what/where we will be starting with. That way I make sure not to cover stuff I shouldn't, and to immediately set up a curriculum path.

I also go over the way I do things very clearly in the first lesson so that the student knows what is coming up. If the teacher does't seem to have a foundational approach to teaching, tat they can clearly outline, you might want to think again.
I wasn’t asked to play anything, we just talked but he told me his concepts.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I wasn’t asked to play anything, we just talked but he told me his concepts.

I guess I just can't "start from scratch" with any student, unless I know that they are just beginning. It is weird to me to not have any back story...but I know a few guys who just start going on their own system, and feel that it is the students job to apply the knowledge to their own situation. I definitely don't agree that that works

PaisteDrummer95

I guess I just can't "start from scratch" with any student, unless I know that they are just beginning. It is weird to me to not have any back story...but I know a few guys who just start going on their own system, and feel that it is the students job to apply the knowledge to their own situation. I definitely don't agree that that works
Well, I was asked about my backstory and he asked me about previous lessons and also if I have played before. Maybe he is going to ask me to play next time or he decides that we directly start from the beginning as I never have been taught the basics really.

boomstick

Silver Member
From age 12 to 18, I took lessons from three different teachers. None of them pointed out or corrected all the poor technique and bad habits I had going on. Consequently, my progress was slow, no matter how much I practiced. It took me years to identify and correct these problems myself. I would have been better off spending all that lesson cash on gear.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Yup, I worked with a bad drum teacher...and I see his ugly mug every time I look in the mirror. :)

On the flip side, people have wanted me to teach their kids a lot, and I simply won't do it. I love teaching, and I love playing music, but I do NOT like teaching music. I've done it in the past, and I simply do not have the patience for it.

Suburbankidz

JD, your post sounds eerily familiar. My first instructor was just like that. After a few months I asked around and found a better instructor.

Mr Farkle

Regular Poster
My current drum instructor spends 90% of the time listening to music with me. I can’t figure out if he’s a savant or if he doesn't know how to teach advanced-intermediate students. :unsure: I’m leaning towards savant. He heard me overplay and zeroed in on that issue, and it is a difficult issue for me to overcome.

Every instructor I have worked with has had strengths and weaknesses. If I was more serious about advancing I would have multiple instructors at the same point in time and I would be more vocal about what I perceive to be my needs.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I'm about to take over for a bad teacher. New student contacted me, and was doing hour lessons where the guy would just teach the kid "parts" to songs, no reading whatsoever. The worst kind of hack teaching in the world. The parent didn't balk at my rates, meaning he was probably charging him a professional rate for that.

I guess that's good, to do otherwise would be ripping off the student and driving rates down for everyone else, instead of just ripping off the student.

dmacc_2

Gold Member
I've only had one teacher who I would call 'bad' and not sure I can label him with that. He was good enough to get me started 45 years ago teaching me basic reading from Rubanks. After about a year my parents had a feeling my time with him had been enough.

After that I was beyond blessed with amazing teachers/educators during my years of private studies. They were all highly credentialed world class teachers and players.

As a teacher myself for many decades, I have provided private lessons to kids who were in bad situations with other so-called teachers. Most were street hacks at best and couldn't play nor teach their way out of a wet paper bag.

It's very easy to call yourself a 'teacher' and advertise for lessons. It's entirely other thing to deliver a consistent, high quality product.

JDFaulky

One of the problems with drum teachers is that there are no credentials required to consider yourself one. Being a good player doesn't necessarily make for a good teacher either, so it's impossible to tell if you have a good or bad one until you've spent some time with them. And if you're an absolute beginner you still might not know for quite some time.
This is true. Especially if you're a beginner because you have to trust that the teacher knows what they're doing and they're leading you down the right path. My advice to other potential students out there is to pay close attention to your red flags that are popping up during your lessons. If those red flags are still there after a month or two, it's time to dip out.

JDFaulky

I just got back from my first session with the new drum teacher. Night and day difference. Before I started with him I sent him some videos of me playing in order to help prep him so he'll know where to start. The dude completely deconstructed my playing and made me feel like I was playing a gig at the amateur hour. Completely flipped my world upside down and made me feel like I think I'm better than I actually am. This is EXACTLY what I needed.

He gave me about 4 different criticisms that he noticed from my playing and told me how I can make all of them sound significantly better. He gave me a practice pad routine to work on each day too to help develop my hands better since he noticed the way I angled my wrists while playing match grip was a little less than ideal. This is the kinda stuff that made me want to take drum lessons in the first place.

I walked out of that session excited about drumming again. I think this guy is going to work out much better. He's incredibly nice too and criticized my playing without making me feel like I suck.

RVN

Glad to hear that it went so well! You reminded me of that excitement I had after my lessons many years ago when I had indeed practiced enough to show improvement and had a new lesson plan to work on. Keep it up!