Anyone ever use one of these? A floor tom bracket that attaches to the rim

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I was sitting here thinking, "Man, it would be cool if they made a floor tom bracket that clipped to the rim of the drum." After a 10 second Google search, I found these:

These look enticing for someone like me who has floor toms that originally came with suspension mounts and would rather use traditional floor tom legs but doesn't want to drill into the shell. I currently have the floor tom cradles/baskets, but I'm getting tired of the weight.

Anyone ever use these on your floor tom(s)?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
My first thought is that the pressure applied to the bottom rim with each strike - slight though it may be - will allow the reso head to detune over time. Given that the reso controls so much of the tone of the drum, I don't want anything messing with it. A slight detuning is especially evident to a mic.

Hmm, I guess I don't have a second thought, that's the only aspect of that mount that sticks out for me.

If there's an absolute need to use that, I'd also recommend some nuts to keep the rods from loosening.

Bermuda

Last edited:

Lee-Bro

I've been considering using a set of these in lieu of a floor tom cradle for a couple of floor toms that don't have mounts installed on them.

timmdrum

Silver Member
My first thought is that the pressure applied to the bottom rim with each strike - slight though it may be - will allow the reso head to detune over time. Given that the reso controls so much of the tone of the drum, I don't want anything messing with it. A slight detuning is especially evident to a mic.

Hmm, I guess I don't have a second thought, that's the only aspect of that mount that sticks out for me.

If there's an absolute need to use that, I'd also recommend some nuts to keep the rods from loosening.

Bermuda
Maybe the FT leg "feet" that are kinda floaty/springy would alleviate that...?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I got tired of having to use a key to adjust every time.
This is one of the main reasons I don't like the floor tom cradles I have. The reason I'm hesitating is a.) the price and b.) I feel like I'd just be buying one of the same problems I have right now.

sammy123

I used the Tama version of this clamp to staballize mounted 14" and 16" starclassic toms. I put one on the front of each tom reso rim. It worked great.