Anyone ever play in full drum enclosure?

I'm missing something. Is a 'sanctuary' a new name for a church or place of worship?
It does look like a snake aquarium.

Forms of the word have been used since the dawn of man so no, this is not new.

I'm missing something. Is a 'sanctuary' a new name for a church or place of worship?

The sanctuary is part of the church building that's the big room with rows of chairs or pews, traditionally with a choir loft, piano, organ, pulpit, etc. There are usually different classrooms and offices in a church building, but the sanctuary is the "big room" where everybody goes for worship service.

89fa79_4a1a4ee1c3f64b4c803064bd59c67173.webp

The sanctuary is part of the church building that's the big room with rows of chairs or pews, traditionally with a choir loft, piano, organ, pulpit, etc. There are usually different classrooms and offices in a church building, but the sanctuary is the "big room" where everybody goes for worship service.

89fa79_4a1a4ee1c3f64b4c803064bd59c67173.webp

Thanks. I went to church (with pews, altar etc.) the 1st half of my life and the term was never used. The pic shown did look like a studio.

Thanks. I went to church (with pews, altar etc.) the 1st half of my life and the term was never used. The pic shown did look like a studio.
Many older churches weren't much more than the sanctuary. Maybe with an office, some storage, and some bathrooms, but predominantly just the great communal space. Especially in rural areas. So, referring to what is essentially the church as a sanctuary was a bit superfluous.

There's a pretty amazing difference in church design from say 1900, to 1960, to now.

There's a pretty amazing difference in church design from say 1900, to 1960, to now.

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been in some state-of-the-art churches that had a $100k light rig, and I've been in some that didn't even have any sort of mics or PA system because it simply didn't need it by design (old growth hardwood floors, small room, with high ceiling with just a piano over in the corner of the room).

Man, just a few weeks ago I played in one of these AT A CLUB.

It was obviously to give the sound man more control over the drums, and nothing else - the club was very large, extremely high ceilings, lots of room for the audience to move around. Plus, there was a drum riser 20 feet off the floor (lots of fun moving gear up and down from there). There was zero chance of the drums being too loud.

I had misgivings going in, but since the ceilings were so high, it actually didn't sound too bad inside the plexi-cage. Had no idea what it sounded like OUTSIDE the cage, though. My band members told me the drums sounded muffled, and a few of the audience members mentioned the same thing. I was a little ticked off to have played my ass off for an hour, only to find that the drums sounded underwhelming up front. I play in a fairly straightforward style, so much of my effort goes into making sure the snare drum really cuts through; very frustrating to know that I'd been sonically castrated.

In a studio, I don't see the problem - very often the rest of the band is separated from the drummer anyway. But live? I'd avoid whenever possible.

Back