Anyone ever play in full drum enclosure?

alparrott

Platinum Member
That one's pretty swank. Most places get the collapsible ones with the modular fabric panels. If I had one of those to play in I wouldn't much complain.

thebarak

I am considering getting one so I can play at home. But I am leaning towards not playing at home.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I have at a small studio near my house. It does feel like a fish tank too. It's pretty crazy, it's not fully soundproof but it definitely muffles the kit about 90%. And if you have nice isolation headphones you can really hear how the drums are going to record in there. The kit they have set up in there sounds awful when you just play around on it. But when you put your headphones on and turn on the mics the drums sound really good, it's pretty crazy

Naigewron

Platinum Member
I hope that thing is well ventilated; it looks like it could easily get pretty hot during the course of a gig.

mikyok

Platinum Member
One would be advised against dropping ones guts in there.

I'm getting claustrophobic looking at it.

I wonder what time feeding is :)

moxman

Silver Member
Lol.. It looks ridiculous but I magine you get a clean sound if recording. Not for live playing..I've had to use some straight panels a few times because "the sound tech requires all drummers use the enclosure"!
But after a bit of pushback they relented.. It was a made up rule, probably so the sound guy could justify the expense of buying the damn things..
- basically we told the owners:
- everyone in the band hates it
- the drums sound muffled or non- existent to some band members
- it looks frickin ridiculous.. How many fishbowl jokes are there?
- it may make the sound guys job a bit easier to dial in the sound.. But from the band and audience perspective its a total fail..I'll never go on stage in one of those things again!Twice was too many times..

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I used to play behind one at church years ago.

I started taking off the panels and put them in front of the guitar amps.

I thought it was funny.

They didn't.

I don't go to that church anymore.

Masheanhed

I used to play behind one at church years ago.

I started taking off the panels and put them in front of the guitar amps.

I thought it was funny.

They didn't.

I don't go to that church anymore.
I started subbing for the regular drummer at a church that had this plywood/carpet/Plexiglas drum sarcophagus they would seal you in. It was ridiculous. From the audience the drums sounded like you were hitting blankets. I asked why they used that and was told "so the sound guy can control the drums". I replied "sounds like you need a new sound guy if he has to wrap the drums in that mausoleum."

The sound guy was not very friendly to me after that. :)

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Lol.. It looks ridiculous but I magine you get a clean sound if recording. Not for live playing..I've had to use some straight panels a few times because "the sound tech requires all drummers use the enclosure"!
But after a bit of pushback they relented.. It was a made up rule, probably so the sound guy could justify the expense of buying the damn things..
- basically we told the owners:
- everyone in the band hates it
- the drums sound muffled or non- existent to some band members
- it looks frickin ridiculous.. How many fishbowl jokes are there?
- it may make the sound guys job a bit easier to dial in the sound.. But from the band and audience perspective its a total fail..I'll never go on stage in one of those things again!Twice was too many times..
My take is that it's a PR job by leadership to keep the vocal minority from complaining about the drums being too loud.

The "perception" is that drums are quieter inside the enclosure. Smoke and mirrors.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm thoroughly sick of hearing how we should cater to the sound guy. What is his responsibility? Who does he cater to?

He's working just like us and he doesn't get to be in charge of others. He's the friggin help.

That said, I rarely deal with them thank you very much. Like once every 3 years at a festival or something, and I don't encroach on his territory. Too much risk of sabotage. Sabotage. It shouldn't even be something we have to think about.

Frank

Gold Member
A band in our area has the drummer inside one.

I'm not a fan of those things at all. My take is - if a band needs a quieter drummer, the drummer should play quieter, not force the drummer to sit inside one of those.

In a studio, I'd do whatever was asked of me. Live - ain't no way I'm playing in one of those. Life is too short, and I would Not enjoy that at all. And, to me personally, it's not a good look. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
So I think this is simply a recording studio... Not a performance stage.

In this case, it's perfectly acceptable/preferable to have isolation between the drum mics and the other players. Being clear nearly all the way around helps with the connection to the other players for simultaneous or scratch track playing.

From what I can see, it's not a drum shield for a stage.

But I don't want anyone to put away torches or pitchforks, because those stage-cages are terrible and nobody should be subjected to that.

alparrott

Platinum Member
So I think this is simply a recording studio... Not a performance stage.

In this case, it's perfectly acceptable/preferable to have isolation between the drum mics and the other players. Being clear nearly all the way around helps with the connection to the other players for simultaneous or scratch track playing.

From what I can see, it's not a drum shield for a stage.

But I don't want anyone to put away torches or pitchforks, because those stage-cages are terrible and nobody should be subjected to that.
I've pointed out several times that the level of experience and skill possessed by both the musicians and the sound engineers at most churches is variable, and often both performer and sound crew positions are volunteer. The sound screen becomes a valid tool to rein in over-exuberant drummers who beat cymbals like they owe them money, and to help a sound guy out when he's not sure why there's so much raw stage volume bleeding into the vocalists' microphones.

Are they a cure-all? No, they are not. They are honestly the result of some slick advertising on the part of plexiglass companies to sell product. They cut a little high end and prevent loud cymbals from being obnoxious on stage; but as this thread clearly shows, many folks see the product, read the ad copy on the Musician's Friend website, and think it's going to soundproof the drumset from the rest of the stage - an engineer's dream, right? They do help a bit, but more than once I've seen a worship leader shake his head and say, "I thought it would make them a lot quieter!" And if you have no mikes on the drums at all, they shouldn't be used - because then the drums sound as if they're two rooms away to the audience, all boom and no crack.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member

opentune

Platinum Member
I'm missing something. Is a 'sanctuary' a new name for a church or place of worship?
It does look like a snake aquarium.