Anyone else on a break from drums?

rhumbagirl

Today is day 3 of my comeback. I practiced 60 min on day 1, and 30 min on day 2. Full set of acoustic drums, mic'd, with AI and DAW connected and ready to go. I'm using noise cancelling Bose headphones and they do a pretty good job.

I'm also going to try a 50 mile bicycle ride today, so don't know how I'm going to fit everything in LOL.

SomeBadDrummer

Today is day 3 of my comeback. I practiced 60 min on day 1, and 30 min on day 2. Full set of acoustic drums, mic'd, with AI and DAW connected and ready to go. I'm using noise cancelling Bose headphones and they do a pretty good job.

I'm also going to try a 50 mile bicycle ride today, so don't know how I'm going to fit everything in LOL.
You are Awesome! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)???

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I'm just concentrated on mindless stuff right now. Playing what I know and just keeping things moving. If I keep that up, then in a few weeks I'll jump back into compositional aspects through instructional books. Sometimes I'll just create my own two bar motif and apply it as far as I can go.

So health, hands and feet right now.

Cost is not an issue. When I need something I try to make up for it somewhere else, even if that means eating canned beans for a week LOL. I'd rather have the right stuff to begin with.

I got popped off my Fuji a couple of years ago and my left shoulder hasn't been the same. That said, it tends only act up when I'm not riding, oddly. So it has something to do with musculature around the joint. There's no pain, just a cartilage sound...
Bikes don’t pop you off. The launch you, spin you around and smack you down as hard as possible, then jump on you a few times fir good measure! At least that’s what it felt like each time I went down.

If your shoulder issues end up being from scaring and your offered dry needling as a possible treatment, do it. It really speeds up healing.

rhumbagirl

Bikes don’t pop you off. The launch you, spin you around and smack you down as hard as possible, then jump on you a few times fir good measure!
I was standing on the right pedal as I was threading two concrete parking lot blocks. The right pedal hit one of the blocks and I was ejected from the bike, up into the air and landing in a patch of grass. Had there been a sign or water hydrant I would've been messed up a bit more. I laid there, all 51 yrs of me, on my left side, for a full two minutes before I pulled myself up. The grassy spot was between the sidewalk and the street, so the "pop" airlifted me from the parking lot, over the sidewalk and onto the grass. It was at night too.

I did write about this in a previous post, maybe a year ago I don't know. I think I made the assessment I wouldn't have been so careless had I felt there was real danger. Meaning, those of us that like to live on the edge, there is some level of control, and maybe at the subconscious level.

There are those turns we shortcut on everyday, but when we play them back in our mind, we tend to blow it out of proportion. Maybe a self-defense mechanism, so we don't take the risk the next time. But we go back to the corner and realize how the trees open up well before the turn, and where the straight line escape route is, and it's all a rather lame situation to be worried about. But the time I almost skidded off a tight turn down a cliff on my motorcycle, that was just supreme idiocy. I was trying to trail another motorist who was much better (and maybe more familiar) with the route than I was.

Last edited:
J

jiklass

If you were magically given the opportunity to replace Lars, would you take it?

Icetech

Gold Member

Only for the money... mmm glorious money... i can't stand their music pretty much since ride the lightening (personal preference although i'm sure someone will hate that)

drumnut87

yep, im on an extended break, because my main band split up, and my other projects are on hiatus due to covid/fear of covid.

one of my singers is a hypocrite though, he wont rehearse due to covid fears, but is quite happy to go to karaokes, we suspect its because he was wanting us to play his anniversary party, but that got cancelled and now he doesnt want to do the band any more but wont officially leave so makes excuse aftre excuse.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member

Only for the money... mmm glorious money...

Sort of the same, I'm a simple guy, I dont want for much. However, if given the opportunity, I would like 2 luxury items: a Ferrari and a Rolex. If playing in Metallica for a bit gets me there, then absolutely. I love their first 4 albums. I would have no qualms playing any of it. It's the Black album and on that I'm not too keen about.

Icetech

Gold Member
Sort of the same, I'm a simple guy, I dont want for much. However, if given the opportunity, I would like 2 luxury items: a Ferrari and a Rolex. If playing in Metallica for a bit gets me there, then absolutely. I love their first 4 albums. I would have no qualms playing any of it. It's the Black album and on that I'm not too keen about.

I would just like to not stress about money for 10 minutes for once :) growing up broke leaves some scars, i actually do ok but refuse to buy anything unless i have to and squirrel away every penny cause you never know..

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I would just like to not stress about money for 10 minutes for once :) growing up broke leaves some scars, i actually do ok but refuse to buy anything unless i have to and squirrel away every penny cause you never know..
Same here. We have scaled everything back to a minimum financially, and tons of worry and stress went away. It's actually nice to enjoy what you have and not want for much at all. Took some hard learning to get there.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Got an example lesson?
My wife loves to spend. She is no longer in charge of $$$.

We also dumped all cards. Paid them off with a tax return to be done with it.

The house used to be propane powered. Cost almost $1000 to fill the tank. I converted the whole house to electric. Not only does it save on propane, the propane appliances still needed electricity to run. Kinda pointless if you ask me.

It takes $$$ to save $$$. But eventually it starts to work itself out.

I must also add I almost worked myself to death to get to this point. Like I had a therapist so I could handle the stress.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

did you get the ride in?

We are doing a 30 mile gravel grind tomorrow...about 1500 feet of elevation. The weather and scenery is going to be perfect: 55ish degrees F, clear skies; leaves are at peak colors right now....best time of year to ride!!!

rhumbagirl

did you get the ride in?

We are doing a 30 mile gravel grind tomorrow...about 1500 feet of elevation. The weather and scenery is going to be perfect: 55ish degrees F, clear skies; leaves are at peak colors right now....best time of year to ride!!!
I got 42 miles yesterday, then did 42 miles today. I didn't ride Wednesday due to rest. So I ended up with 28, 0, 28, 42, 42 = 140 miles in 5 days. I'm exhausted. The good news is I can watch the fight now that I know I did everything to try and help Loma win. LOL

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

same here...have never lived above my means...always preparing for the floor to fall out from under me...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I got 42 miles yesterday, then did 42 miles today. I didn't ride Wednesday due to rest. So I ended up with 28, 0, 28, 42, 42 = 140 miles in 5 days. I'm exhausted. The good news is I can watch the fight now that I know I did everything to try and help Loma win. LOL

freaking sweet!!! I wish I had the time to ride that much...is it road?

We do mountain biking every weekend, less milage total, but I feel like if I do 10 miles on mountain, I have doubled that given the terrain covered and obstacles in the trail

rhumbagirl

freaking sweet!!! I wish I had the time to ride that much...is it road?

We do mountain biking every weekend, less milage total, but I feel like if I do 10 miles on mountain, I have doubled that given the terrain covered and obstacles in the trail
MTB on roads/sidewalks.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX