Anyone Else have OCD about their hardware?

Wopsey

I guess for me it's not just the hardware, it certainly pertains to cymbals and pedals and heads, but just wondering if anyone else is as adamant about having matching peripherals.

Started when I invested in Demon Drive Double Pedals. Had an older model pearl hi hat stand and couldn't stand the look of it next to the shiny new pedals that were worth more than my entire setup at the time. Ended up investing in a pearl demonator hi hat stand since they don't have demon drive hi hat stands, has a similar design so it calmed my OCD down lol.

It's now gone over to cymbal stands, having always wanted DW hardware with the dog bone tilters (or whatever those black pieces are on the 9000 series lol), I'm finally about to finish my collection of stands.

About three weeks ago someone posted a DW9710 Boom Stand on Kijiji for a mesely $50. Emailed the guy right away offering $60 with delivery. He brought it over same day, was certainly well used, but in perfect working order. I had mentioned I wanted more stands like it, he said he had two more but was using them.

I've since negotiated a trade for one of my pearl boom stands and $80 for the other two DW boom stands. Having purchased the pearl stand used for $40, I will ultimately be acquiring 3x DW9710 Boom Stands for $180, less than the cost of one new.

So excited to finally have my 'dream hardware' setup, had to post lol.

Anyone else have similar experiences with their gear?

KamaK

Platinum Member
I have similar opinions toward my hardware, though for different reasons.

I went With a Zildjian Custom A cymbal pack because I am too inexperienced to match cymbals on my own. I wanted something nice (upgrading from B8's), I wanted to avoid any nasty timbre mismatches, and I wanted the ability to easily re-sell them as a set once my ear/hands/style/needs change to the point where I want a customized setup.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Every piece of hardware I have is a different brand. I don't clean my drums, except wipe the dust off, or cymbals for that matter. The wrap is scratched up beyond belief. Doesn't bother me a bit.When a lug broke, I replaced it right away though.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Brands, no. The feet on the stands, absolutely. My snare stand must have their feet at 6, 10, and 2 o'clock. The feet at 10 and 2 must be centered between the pedals, which are also symmetrically pointed towards the center of my throne, whose feet must be at 12, 4, and 8 o'clock.

Kick drum spurs must not extend past the hoops, and cymbal stand feet must not be in front of the spurs. The only odd man out is the hi-hat stand, which must be directly next to and in line with the left kick pedal.

I miss my rack.

Fuzrock

Silver Member
Brands, no. The feet on the stands, absolutely. My snare stand must have their feet at 6, 10, and 2 o'clock. The feet at 10 and 2 must be centered between the pedals, which are also symmetrically pointed towards the center of my throne, whose feet must be at 12, 4, and 8 o'clock.

Kick drum spurs must not extend past the hoops, and cymbal stand feet must not be in front of the spurs. The only odd man out is the hi-hat stand, which must be directly next to and in line with the left kick pedal.

I miss my rack.
I'm the opposite of you with the throne ever since I got a back rest. If I don't have a foot at 6:00, I'll fall over if I lean back. LOL!

I do like matching hardware. I have all Yamaha boom arms for my Hexrack and have matching DW 9000 duoble kick and hihat pedals. I know people that have all kinds of different brands and models of cymbal stands on the same kit and it drives me a little nuts.

dat yeti

Haha, drummers are funny goofy people.

I'm OCD, but not quite in matching although all my stuff is mapex besides tama snare ball stand and speed cobra hi hat stand.

I adjust all the stands so the knobs are facing me, or are easily reached for right hand. Setting up drum kits is insane for me though as I just can never "get" it right. I've never had that setup yet, so when I feel like I'm close I keep it. That's where I get all OCD on. Don't understand it, but deal with it haha.

If I had the room and space I would probably become more OCD on having at certain oclocks, but sometimes arrangements change.

TopHat

I have all Yamaha hardware because they make good stuff. I've used other hardware too (Pearl, DW, etc) but since I have Yamaha drums it just made sense for me to continue using Yamaha hardware.