Anyone do a permanent "mod" to their sticks (not just tape)?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I had a friend that would take all of his Pro Mark sticks, pull the nylon tips off, and then glue them back on with wood glue. He said it kept the tips from flying off.

Local Oaf

I will often take my folding knife and hack hella hash marks in the bottom half of the stick for better grip.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I used to sand down the old Regal Tip Quantum 9000s as the lacquer gave me really bad blisters.

I use Pellwood now, they'll make sticks to your spec. They're great to deal with and you save a lot of money. Sticks in the UK are £10+, complete ripoff. When I get a 20 pair batch it works out at £4.40 a pair, go figure!

jimb

I just place some tape so I kinda know where my hands are and mark one stick with a spot of marker so I can alternate the wear. And since finding a local store which does Nova 5a's cheap, lifes got good.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I will put clear tape over the logos on all of my concert sticks and keyboard mallets to preserve them...and I have 1 "clean" pair of all of my marching and drum stick types with the logo saved as well.

I am a collector: sports cards; drum stuff; model train stuff, so I instinctively archive stuff

I don't do any other modifying of the sticks though

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I mark the butt end with a felt pen, so that it's easier to grab a matching pair from the stick bag. That's all. :)
I have always done this as well...L and R...I am really OCD about having the same feeling stick in my right versus my left hand. The heavier/denser stick goes in my right hand b/c I like the feel of that on my ride cymbal.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I write my name on them with a marker pen.
I have a drum logo I put on the end of each one, so I have a "signature" stick. 🤣

I use Sex Wax for grip as my hands are usually dry & smooth. I just rub a bit on before playing & it lasts the whole show.
It says it's "The best for your stick" so I was sure they meant drummers.;)

DrumDoug

I use Sex Wax for grip as my hands are usually dry & smooth. I just rub a bit on before playing & it lasts the whole show.
It says it's "The best for your stick" so I was sure they meant drummers.;)
Have you tried other stick wax products? I tried the Zildjian wax but found I have to reapply it every couple of songs. Reviews of it online didn’t seem to have that problem.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Anyone do something a little more "permanent" than just taping their sticks?
I modify my sticks slowly over time.

With my right stick, I slowly chip away the wood on the tip until it is reduced to a point.
With my left stick, I whittle away the side of the shaft till it looks like an hourglass shaped cactus.
I also improve their grip by allowing my children to play with them.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Have you tried other stick wax products? I tried the Zildjian wax but found I have to reapply it every couple of songs. Reviews of it online didn’t seem to have that problem.
No. I knew Sex Wax was great for surfboard grip & had others suggest it. Once it worked for me, I didn't look back.