Anyone deal with pet cancer???

Old Dog new Cans

My sister's pooch was diagnosed last week with lymphoma. Poor girl isn't 4 years old yet. She's never been PERFECTLY healthy. And I'll blame my sister's hubby just a little bit because he grabbed her up before she was 5 weeks old. He's very upset, so that's ALL the crap I'll give the poor guy. They love their pooch.

We're doing our own research, but I'm absolutely curious about anyone else and how you dealt with things.

They will probably try chemo, and "alternative medicines"--I don't want to get the thread shut down. Message me if you have to.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
My parents had a dog that developed lung cancer. They didn't find out until the dog started to exhibit problems. She was already an old girl, so it was decided to just let her progress normally until she was unable to maintain quality of life without human intervention. Once she wasnt able to physically move herself around to eat, potty, etc, the decision was made to have the vet put her down. She lived probably between 6 months and a year after the diagnosis.

I'm sorry to hear about your sisters dog. I know how they feel. We have two physically impared weener dogs right now. One has a luxating patella and requires Cosequin. Without it he can barely walk. The other has IVDD and just got off recovery. He has weakness and pain in his hind end/lower back. This cold weather inst helping either. And the possibility always exists that at any moment the disc could fully rupture and paralyze his rear end. That would be it. We cant afford surgery and those carts cost like $1000.

Hopefully the outcome for your sisters dog is positive. Having a downed doggie is very difficult.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Dogs share so many diseases similar to humans. Partly because we So it will probably be similar to human cancer and depend on type, progression, and then tailor the chemo to the cancer type. Vets are interesting people cause they know anatomy-physiology of so many animals. Now I've used animal models in research but don't their anatomy/physiological uniqueness as a vet does. Pretty amazing I think-I know my way around the human body really well but can't imagine the task of knowing so many species-avian, mammals, reptiles, etc. I know how difficult losing a family member pet-we lost our 21 year old dog and 20 year old cat a number of years back and I still look at old pics of them. I hope it's a type cancer that responds well to chemo and the doggie lives a prolonged life.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
We've lost two Golden Retrievers to cancer. Both showed no signs of sickness, but due to their age and "slowing down" we had lab work done and the blood tests indicated the presence of cancer. Years ago we found out our 15-year-old Golden had lymphoma, and several days later he died peacefully in his sleep. Recently we lost our 10-year-old Golden. Same tests. The day after we found out he had a very aggressive lymphoma we elected to put him down rather than to have him suffer over the weekend. It was a brutally hard decision.

Your sister's dog is likely young enough to beat the odds if her owners can afford the treatments. If they have a great vet team they will do everything they can to not only provide quality of life, but quantity of life as well to the best of their ability.

Last edited:

Hewitt2

We had a 9 year old bulldog we had to put down just a few short months ago to cancer. After learning about the insane amount of Time, effort and money in pursuing chemo, which did not guarantee a full return to health and consistent quality of life, we did the only reasonable option available to us. I remember the vet saying to us that many times the decision to pursue chemo is more for the owners than the pet themselves and that stuck with me. Here we are in better times. He’s the bully on the right. A tough decision - good luck!

Attachments

• B6C0BF84-DC60-4091-85E0-38477F14DA84.jpeg
    B6C0BF84-DC60-4091-85E0-38477F14DA84.jpeg
    752.9 KB · Views: 7

Old Dog new Cans

Yes I fear the worst. Although Blaze is young, she's never been a great eater, finicky. She's dealt with other illnesses at a young age. They had to let their last dog go, just a few years ago. So they have a fresh memory of, the end. They're certainly not going to punish her because of their own selfishness. But, as someone mentioned, she is young and maybe she can fight through and get to the other side.

Chemo and some alternative med options together. . . .she needs to get past the nausea, get her weight up. Or she will dwindle away fast.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Chemo and some alternative med options together. . . .she needs to get past the nausea, get her weight up. Or she will dwindle away fast.
If getting the dog to eat is a problem, I have yet to meet a dog that will turn away a cheeseburger regardless of how they feel.

Before anyone tells me that's a horrible idea, remember dogs eat poop, trash, dead things, etc.

Old Dog new Cans

If getting the dog to eat is a problem, I have yet to meet a dog that will turn away a cheeseburger regardless of how they feel.

Before anyone tells me that's a horrible idea, remember dogs eat poop, trash, dead things, etc.
The don't skimp at all. She gets red meat sometimes, which I actually discouraged today. Salmon, chicken, pumpkin puree. . .I'm almost positive my sister sat down and pulled apart a burger last week for her. She's truly finicky. My sister has literally shoved food in her mouth and she spits it out, etc. They really try everything.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The don't skimp at all. She gets red meat sometimes, which I actually discouraged today. Salmon, chicken, pumpkin puree. . .I'm almost positive my sister sat down and pulled apart a burger last week for her. She's truly finicky. My sister has literally shoved food in her mouth and she spits it out, etc. They really try everything.
I see. That makes it more difficult then. Human food has been the easiest way to get a dog to eat that refuses in my experience. I dont have any other suggestions.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I'm a bit different. When animals suffer I can't take it. I can break down pretty easily. I've had friends pass that didn't affect me like an animal with health issues. It can even affect my outlook at work. I'll go into depression over these things.

same here...I have lost 7 dogs and 5 cats in my life, and it always, always sucks. In fact, I am taking our current old kitty to the vet to be put down on Thurs b/c she has very quickly gone down hill with diabetes...I will be a blubbering mess for sure...already have cried a couple times. I will be taking the whole day off for sure

We lost 3 German Shepherds to pancreas or stomach cancer, and 3 of our 4 Siberian Huskies went with cancer. Luckily, it was more towards the end of the normal lifespan - and the vet always brought up the "chemo is more for you than them" thing.

basset52

We lost our 3 yr old Basset Hound ( Maggie) to an aggressive liver cancer last March. No real warning, went from running on the beach till 10 days later the scans shoed 80% of her liver affected. LIke others have said, our Vet could do chemo but we would get 2 months and it was more about us than our girl. I was also worried about the pain/distress/quality of life Maggie might be in during that time - because they can't tell us what they're experiencing. We decided the best thing for Maggie was for her to go with proper care from the vet . She was sedated and euthanised peacefully chewing on liver treats with us by her side. We grieved like we do for all of those we love - time heals.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
We lost our 3 yr old Basset Hound ( Maggie) to an aggressive liver cancer last March. No real warning, went from running on the beach till 10 days later the scans shoed 80% of her liver affected. LIke others have said, our Vet could do chemo but we would get 2 months and it was more about us than our girl. I was also worried about the pain/distress/quality of life Maggie might be in during that time - because they can't tell us what they're experiencing. We decided the best thing for Maggie was for her to go with proper care from the vet . She was sedated and euthanised peacefully chewing on liver treats with us by her side. We grieved like we do for all of those we love - time heals.

liked becasue you did the right thing, and time does heal!!!

Bozozoid

Gold Member
Reading all of the posts here is heart wrenching. I've seen animals literally abused by owners that still love them. That is heart crushing to me. People are more like animals sometimes..we could learn so much! from them. How animals care for their young while human beings..well..i better stop.

MrPockets

Gold Member
My golden had a tumor on his snout and we let it sit for years until he didn't want to eat anymore and it broke through the gums. At that point we put him down at 8 years old.

I am not a big believer in massive surgery for animals but more end of life care.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
We lost our Canaan to anal scent sac cancer. Doc gave her 6 weeks. We opted to have the tumor removed to help buy her time. She lived for 18 months before it metastasized and spread everywhere. She was happy to the last day. She didn’t want to go for a walk on her last day. The tumor burst that night. We took her in to put her down and while she couldn’t move, she licked us with a great deal of vigor as if to say thanks and good bye. She wasn’t a locker and never licked us prior! Most heartbreaking experience we’ve ever had.

And….not to get off topic, but you really can’t judge a person by how they treat animals. Hitler loved animals. Other examples in history too. Just want to be accurate.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
One of our Welsh terriers passed with a cancer in the upper nostrils that invaded his brain. We weighed up treatment options, but non of the outcomes looked promising, and the journey for him would have been tough. We decided on euthanasia while he was still heavily sedated from the scanner.
I am the worst when it comes to my animals passing. Busts me up something terrible, & I remember every detail of their passing like it was yesterday, I'm probably at the point of needing help.

Bozozoid

Gold Member
I know exactly how you feel Andy...i am the least religious person here but I hang on to the thought that animals will be right there in heaven with us. There's a bible verse that says God sees the falling of a sparrow which is comforting to me.