Anyone attending NAMM 2022? Gear predictions?

harryconway

Platinum Member
From what I hear most of the manufacturers are of the opinion that with even more reach of the internet and youtube type exposure they don't need to attend NAMM. It is kind of a dinosaur. Your list of NON-attendees seems to be even further proof of that.
Yep. Booth cost is 32.65 a sq. ft. Booth space sold in 100 sq. ft. blocks. (there is a small booth space ..... 10' x 5' ...... for $2,095). So you can be dumping huge money into a booth. Companies have and do. Then you have to judge your sales vs cost, to figure out what to do going forward.
Perhaps if it was an open to the public event there would be more draw. ........
I know if it was open to the public, lots of us would be interested in attending.
Starting about the last year I attended (2005) ...... they've been making it harded and costlier to get tickets. There used to be literally 10's of thousands of John Q. Publics roaming the halls. Every day. And they've actively discouraged and curtailed that, over the last 17 years. I really don't see that trend reversing.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
From what I hear most of the manufacturers are of the opinion that with even more reach of the internet and youtube type exposure they don't need to attend NAMM. It is kind of a dinosaur. Your list of NON-attendees seems to be even further proof of that.

I can see this.

The point of NAMM was for manufacturers to introduce their new products to retailers (1 meeting at a time) so that retailers could then introduce products to the public.

But with the internet/yourube, etc, manufacturers can introduce products to retailers and the public in great detail all at once.

jdavis

Starting about the last year I attended (2005) ...... they've been making it harded and costlier to get tickets. There used to be literally 10's of thousands of John Q. Publics roaming the halls. Every day. And they've actively discouraged and curtailed that, over the last 17 years. I really don't see that trend reversing.
The funny thing is I know several people who don't have memberships that were allowed to register to attend. I heard it's a new policy they rolled out this year. Not sure how accurate this is, but I could see them opening it up to the public to make it more profitable. Maybe they're moving in that direction?

harryconway

Platinum Member
The funny thing is I know several people who don't have memberships that were allowed to register to attend.
I'm not sure what exactly that means. Bud of mine works for an "industry" shop. His company had to pay $40 ..... plus he had to pay $40. Kinda double-dipping there. That's what I know.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The funny thing is I know several people who don't have memberships that were allowed to register to attend. I heard it's a new policy they rolled out this year. Not sure how accurate this is, but I could see them opening it up to the public to make it more profitable. Maybe they're moving in that direction?
They were very lenient this year.

Usually, you have to go through a registered company and "prove" your ties to the industry every year . This year, they just emailed anyone who attended in the last few years and offered them a pass for a fee.

It's like they knew no one was attending and were desperate to get people to attend.

Justinhub2003

Silver Member
I think the pandemic has taught us that a lot of shit we’ve been doing for the last 60 years really isn’t needed and NAMM is one of them… vendors can announce products and build relationships over the internet just as easy and with out spending any money.

I also think supply chain issues have slowed innovation and higher costs may also slow drum sales.

jdavis

I'm not sure what exactly that means. Bud of mine works for an "industry" shop. His company had to pay $40 ..... plus he had to pay $40. Kinda double-dipping there. That's what I know.
I think DrumEatDrum is right. It seems people who've gone in the past were allowed to register to attend for a fee. They probably saw a lot of memberships lapse due to covid and decided to cover the gap this way.

I also spoke with a person who usually exhibits at NAMM and he told me he was staying away this year. One of the reasons was they were raising the rates on additional badges, etc.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Attendance in 2020 was 115,000. I heard they expected 50% of that this year. I've heard they only got 25% of that. But no solid numbers, yet.

Perhaps if it was an open to the public event there would be more draw. If I made drums, I'd want to show them off to potential customers, not just other industry folks.

I know if it was open to the public, lots of us would be interested in attending.
It kind of was this year, not free though.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Attendance in 2020 was 115,000. I heard they expected 50% of that this year. I've heard they only got 25% of that. But no solid numbers, yet.

Sounds about right.

And that doesn't include all the people like me who planned to go for 2 or more days but left after 1 one day.

eric_B

Justin from 65 Drums posted a video, it seems a good impression of the event:

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Yuck. In that cacophony of activity, I don't know how anyone could really hear how an instrument would sound.

I'd rather walk into a well-stocked drum shop on a slow day to try some cymbals or drums out in person to listen to them.

eric_B

Yuck. In that cacophony of activity, I don't know how anyone could really hear how an instrument would sound.

I'd rather walk into a well-stocked drum shop on a slow day to try some cymbals or drums out in person to listen to them.
Agreed. It seems like an event which could be awesome but would most likely leave me thinking it was not worth all the trouble (and money).
Especially as I'm living in The Netherlands.