Anybody wanna provide some feedback on my playing?

LeftyDoug

A few years ago I had the privilege of recording in a real studio with the whole nine-yards given to my kit and my playing. We were recording a solo album for a local guitarist, and friend, that we had been working on and practicing for about 6 months prior to laying everything down. This was my first official time in a real studio setting with a good producer and a group of phenomenal musicians and I think I did alright. We laid the basic tracks down in two days (bass,drums and rhythm guitars) and I used my DW Performance kit to record with. Snares were a Tama 14" x 6.5" brass and an S.L.P. G-Bubinga drum(14" x 6"). I can run down the sizes if anyone is interested. You can find the CD on Spotify and on YouTube. The style is instrumental along the lines of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Not sure about the exact genre, maybe neoclassical metal or just progressive metal or rock. I don't think it's really hard enough for metal though. Songs are a little repetitive without a vocalist so I will warn you. There are some interesting time sigs in there though.

Anyhow, the album is by Project Alcazar and it's titled "Chasin' VooDoo." If you're looking for something to listen to check it out. I'm just really interested in other drummers opinions of my "first time in the studio" results. Obviously try not to be mean but I can take it if you are. After all, I asked right?

Thanks!

Spotify :

YouTube :

Sounds fine to me. The "critique" of studio tracks is something I find dubious. Typically there's click tracks, processing and often even cut/paste/move/replacement in the final product along with the standard mix and master changes, along with that we can't see you here so I can't really offer technique/setup advice.

Anyway, from a drumming standpoint I didn't hear anything offensive in the clips I checked out... So I'd say it worked out well. Was there anything you felt was iffy at that time?

No. Then that would mean I’d be listening to lesser players who don’t know what it took to do what I did and have opinions about what I’m doing. You do your thing and be proud ?

I don't particularly care for this kind of music and am definitely having a difficult time getting past the guitar to be honest. maybe it's just because they are short snippets from each song? it's almost like one continuous song. just sounds very harsh to me. 'at any rate' seems kind of cool though. as for your playing, it seems to fit the music very well. you have some cool little parts and fills in 'stranger ave' that match up nicely with the guitar. solid playing overall!

That's cool. I appreciate the feedback and I appreciate Bo's comment as well. I am proud of the CD and as far as the music, that's kind of on the artist since he was the one paying the bills. Thanks!

I changed the title of the thread. I was really looking for more feedback than a critique. Although the two really aren't that far off from each other. All of the comments were much appreciated also. I'm not fishing for more input but certainly post up if you want. That title was just bugging me.

The drumming is the best part of it!
Duh. Drumming is ALWAYS the best part!!!

it's almost like one continuous song.

That's my th;ought as well. Guitar is too overpowering. I can only listen to that kind of guitar work for a short period of time before I start yelling "Slow down. Play something more melodic. I don't want to hear scales and arpeggios at lightning speed." As for the drumming, it's hard to hear due to the Eddie Van Halen wanna be. Other than that.......

Last edited:
The drumming is definitely solid. I like the guitar. On the money with a Vai/Satch comparison, he's certainly the fore-front. I would personally like to hear more drum fill work. More than just a couple 16th notes and crash. But once again, solid.

Good stuff

That's my th;ought as well. Guitar is too overpowering. I can only listen to that kind of guitar work for a short period of time before I start yelling "Slow down. Play something more melodic. I don't want to hear scales and arpeggios at lightning speed." As for the drumming, it's hard to hear due to the Alex Van Halen wanna be. Other than that.......

Totally understood. Thanks for the input!

The drumming is definitely solid. I like the guitar. On the money with a Vai/Satch comparison, he's certainly the fore-front. I would personally like to hear more drum fill work. More than just a couple 16th notes and crash. But once again, solid.

Good stuff

Much appreciated! I deem myself as more of a pocket drummer than a busy prog type drummer. I guess that is why I was looking for some feedback on this project. Thanks again.

Totally understood. Thanks for the input!

Much appreciated! I deem myself as more of a pocket drummer than a busy prog type drummer. I guess that is why I was looking for some feedback on this project. Thanks again.

My thinking was, keeping up with the guitar work. Trying to be, similar in style I guess? When I listen to Satriani and similar, I often hear the guitar and drums playing the same riff. But don't get me wrong, it's solid solid drumming. I couldn't find anything wrong with your playing, so I just said what I'd like to hear. :cool: (y)

I'm over the guitar shredder thing for the most part now, but I like the little bit that I heard. That used to be my wheelhouse and I recorded a few projects with some local shredders in the late 80's before moving on to heavier stuff. I grew up listening to Satriani, McAlpine, Vai, Becker/Friedman, and had the pleasure of jamming with Michael Lee Firkins a bit before he headed off to L.A. once Shrapnel took him up. Around that same time, acquaintances of mine started the JRZ System.

As for the drumming, it's hard to hear due to the Alex Van Halen wanna be.
Did you mean Eddie? Or is this just another passive aggressive attack on a forum member?

My thinking was, keeping up with the guitar work. Trying to be, similar in style I guess? When I listen to Satriani and similar, I often hear the guitar and drums playing the same riff. But don't get me wrong, it's solid solid drumming. I couldn't find anything wrong with your playing, so I just said what I'd like to hear. :cool: (y)

I think that's what drew me to this type of music, initially, even though I'm not a guitarist. Much of it leaves room for the drummer (or bass player) to showcase their talent as well as the guitarist (although not as "in your face" obviously). The drums can accompany then follow the guitars on some complicated riffs here and there, or just flat out shred along with them. Also, the music can vary considerably, blending styles.

Like I said, I've been over the guitar shredding thing for quite some time (it's often just too much guitar), but so far it sounds like you did a nice job on this project. (y)

Nice playing. I think the tunes sound a great deal like Vai. Take a listen to his first album Flexable. That's not a bad thing by the way. Very cool. (y)

Did you mean Eddie? Or is this just another passive aggressive attack on a forum member?

Like I said, I've been over the guitar shredding thing for quite some time (it's often just too much guitar), but so far it sounds like you did a nice job on this project. (y)

I would guess that he meant Eddie. I'm not nearly heavy enough to be in the ballpark of Alex. Thanks for the input!

A few years ago I had the privilege of recording in a real studio with the whole nine-yards given to my kit and my playing. We were recording a solo album for a local guitarist, and friend, that we had been working on and practicing for about 6 months prior to laying everything down. This was my first official time in a real studio setting with a good producer and a group of phenomenal musicians and I think I did alright. We laid the basic tracks down in two days (bass,drums and rhythm guitars) and I used my DW Performance kit to record with. Snares were a Tama 14" x 6.5" brass and an S.L.P. G-Bubinga drum(14" x 6"). I can run down the sizes if anyone is interested. You can find the CD on Spotify and on YouTube. The style is instrumental along the lines of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Not sure about the exact genre, maybe neoclassical metal or just progressive metal or rock. I don't think it's really hard enough for metal though. Songs are a little repetitive without a vocalist so I will warn you. There are some interesting time sigs in there though.

Anyhow, the album is by Project Alcazar and it's titled "Chasin' VooDoo." If you're looking for something to listen to check it out. I'm just really interested in other drummers opinions of my "first time in the studio" results. Obviously try not to be mean but I can take it if you are. After all, I asked right?

Thanks!

Spotify :

YouTube :
Drumming sounds great! I would never have guessed this was your studio debut... (y) :)

Drumming sounds great! I would never have guessed this was your studio debut... (y) :)

Thank you very much. Much appreciated. We laid all of these initial tracks down in two days. Each with two or three takes.

Thank you very much. Much appreciated. We laid all of these initial tracks down in two days. Each with two or three takes.
That’s great going, I usually spend half a day just getting my sounds! :) Sounds like you guys were well rehearsed too which is always a good idea prior to going in...top job.(y)

This reminds me of the French band Adagio. Your playing is fine but very repetitive. What I would explore is 2 measures on the snare then 2 on the ride tom, then 2 on the ride cymbal. Break up the monotony. Don't forget brushes and mallets to change up the sound. Good for your first time out but sounds like you may have stage fright.

Back