Anybody use a riser with a 20" bass drum?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I had no idea they were so popular. I had never heard of them before yesterday!
I think you will be very surprised how much your kick will open up. I bought one off of @Mustion a while back, and I liked the design and results so much that I needed a couple more. The only downside is that it can make your kick lean a bit if you mount only one tom on it. I mount a tom and ride so it balances out.

yammyfan

I think you will be very surprised how much your kick will open up. I bought one off of @Mustion a while back, and I liked the design and results so much that I needed a couple more. The only downside is that it can make your kick lean a bit if you mount only one tom on it. I mount a tom and ride so it balances out.
Good to know. I play 2-up 1-down most of the time so balance shouldn't be an issue.

That said, I ordered a 13" rack tom for my Yamaha kit for those times I feel like playing 1-up 1-down (13-16-22). I could always throw the rack tom on a snare stand if balance becomes an issue in that configuration.

yammyfan

I finally got around to lifting the kick drum up and I'm really glad that I did. The kit sounds perceptibly better, and that's in a substandard room. Even the rack toms are a bit more resonant which is something of a surprise.

Getting everything right took a little bit of time but it was fairly easy to do. I had to add a rubber strip where the pedal clamps on to the lift as the plastic lip is nowhere near as thick as a bass drum hoop. This is something they could improve, I believe. The bass drum spurs were plenty long enough to reach the floor so that was one thing I didn't have to worry about.

An added bonus; lifting the kick off the floor made it easier to tune so I spent a few minutes doing that. I didn't have to angle the rack toms any differently though I took a few minutes to optimize them too. Might as well while I'm at it, I figured.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Dixson/Evans lift. The kit sounds even better than before, it's easier to play and it just seems more poised now. Highly recommended to anyone who's considering purchasing one.

20200730_220714.jpg

C.M. Jones

I finally got around to lifting the kick drum up and I'm really glad that I did. The kit sounds perceptibly better, and that's in a substandard room. Even the rack toms are a bit more resonant which is something of a surprise.

Getting everything right took a little bit of time but it was fairly easy to do. I had to add a rubber strip where the pedal clamps on to the lift as the plastic lip is nowhere near as thick as a bass drum hoop. This is something they could improve, I believe. The bass drum spurs were plenty long enough to reach the floor so that was one thing I didn't have to worry about.

An added bonus; lifting the kick off the floor made it easier to tune so I spent a few minutes doing that. I didn't have to angle the rack toms any differently though I took a few minutes to optimize them too. Might as well while I'm at it, I figured.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Dixson/Evans lift. The kit sounds even better than before, it's easier to play and it just seems more poised now. Highly recommended to anyone who's considering purchasing one.

View attachment 94631
Nice work. Glad the adjustment has rendered positive results. The finish on that kit is beautiful.

yammyfan

Nice work. Glad the adjustment has rendered positive results. The finish on that kit is beautiful.
Thanks! The finish looks modern yet classic I think, which really appeals to me. Can't wait to see it under stage lights.

I see why your jazz drummer friend liked lifting his 20" drum. It just works!

NouveauCliche

View attachment 94631
Glad you like it - that set looks so fun to play! I know that it makes a ton of sense to me as a little drum hack and I've loved mine for yearssss. I need to pick up a 20" for my Brooklyns - that's such a nice size for a kick.

View attachment 94631
Just curious as to what type/brand of bass drum pedal you are using, and does the beater go past vertical? Also, does the cam of the pedal clear the bass drum hoop with your Dixson? I know my Iron Cobra doesn't with my Gibraltar lift.

yammyfan

Just curious as to what type/brand of bass drum pedal you are using, and does the beater go past vertical? Also, does the cam of the pedal clear the bass drum hoop with your Dixson? I know my Iron Cobra doesn't with my Gibraltar lift.
I'm using a Yamaha Flying Dragon (FP 9410), and it fits perfectly. Plenty of clearance all around.

The credit goes to the design of the lift, honestly. Because it doesn't clamp on to anything, I'm able to slip it under the shell with the pedal attached until the beater hits perfectly at 90 degrees.

That was the knock on the Gibraltar which is why I changed my mind about it. I'm glad I went with the Dixson despite the cost.

thebarak

I first read this thread and commented (somewhere) that I did not use a lift with my 18" bass drum, but then I became curious and ordered the Evans Dixson Lift. Now the beater strikes in the center. I cannot hear any difference, although I currently have a coated PS3 as batter. Maybe when I put the more open coated Ambassador back on I will. but I love that my pedal no longer clamps on the hoop. I will use this thing for that reason alone.

yammyfan

Can you post a photo of the lifter and the pedal? I’d like to see how it fits in real life.
This is a stock photo but it illustrates the concept perfectly.

You clamp your pedal to the lip of the device then slide the two under your kick drum. Push it under far enough so that your beater stops at 90 degrees when the pedal is depressed. You can push forward or pull back freely until you obtain that perfect beater angle which is something you generally can't do to a device that clamps to the hoop.

I've had no issue with the chain (direct drive link in the case of my Flying Dragon) contacting the hoop or the batter head, either. It clears both perfectly just as if it were clamped to the hoop.

Hope this helps!

14481779_1279442775430488_4123009060622124109_o.jpg

Last edited:

DrumDoug

I forgot to mention another issue I had with the Dickson lift. I was using an old Rogers kit at a gig. At some point the pedal and lifter slid forward and the chain started rubbing the hoop. By the time I Looked down and noticed it, it had put a huge gouge in my hoop. That and the spur length thing are what made me stop using it.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
That is a shitty issue.

Aysics makes for a forward (and downward) pressure of the kick which is extra added by each hit.

The velcro underneath (and pedal spikes) lock the riser itself firmly in place on almost every underground

That was my experience with a not too heavy 18” kick.