Anybody Still Use Roto Toms?

presto123

I noticed that Roger Taylor of Duran Duran is using a couple Roto Toms on the current tour. I think I still have the 6,8,10 combo in my garage. Remember the JUMP video with Alex Van Halen? Rotos were so cool. Never could figure out why they came with such a cheap, one bolt, unstable stand though...haha.

I can't find my roto tom stand actually. I'm going to have to come up with one if I want to use them again.

G

Ghostnote

I don't currently use them, but I've been thinking of getting some lately. I'll have to look for used ones because I want the larger sizes (14,16,18) and I think Remo only makes the smaller sizes now. It would be cool to switch out my toms for roto toms just to have a different sound once in a while, but I would have to figure out some sort of mounting system because that flimsy stand that they come with just wouldn't cut it, especially if I want to set them up around the kit in the regular tom positions.

presto123

I don't currently use them, but I've been thinking of getting some lately. I'll have to look for used ones because I want the larger sizes (14,16,18) and I think Remo only makes the smaller sizes now. It would be cool to switch out my toms for roto toms just to have a different sound once in a while, but I would have to figure out some sort of mounting system because that flimsy stand that they come with just wouldn't cut it, especially if I want to set them up around the kit in the regular tom positions.
I used to have the bigger ones. They were quite cool. I have no idea why I got rid of them.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Any ideas on mounting them?
I studied what Terry Bozzio did back in the day, and he cut the bolt head off of the main bold sticking out the bottom, then threaded two 3/8" nuts against each other about 2-inches up the bolt (this would stop it from slipping farther down). This made it easy to insert the Roto Tom into a Remo part # AD-100, which was basically a block that took the vertical bolt, but you were able to mount that block onto the arms of a tom mount if the tom mount arm was horizontal (so like a Yamaha arm would work). I would think if you could find a replacement for the AD-100 block piece, which there should be all kinds of things out there now (back in the late 70s, not so much), you could easily mount RotoToms on better stands than what was provided. At least according to the ways of Terry Bozzio.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I studied what Terry Bozzio did back in the day, and he cut the bolt head off of the main bold sticking out the bottom, then threaded two 3/8" nuts against each other about 2-inches up the bolt (this would stop it from slipping farther down). This made it easy to insert the Roto Tom into a Remo part # AD-100, which was basically a block that took the vertical bolt, but you were able to mount that block onto the arms of a tom mount if the tom mount arm was horizontal (so like a Yamaha arm would work). I would think if you could find a replacement for the AD-100 block piece, which there should be all kinds of things out there now (back in the late 70s, not so much), you could easily mount RotoToms on better stands than what was provided. At least according to the ways of Terry Bozzio.
I have used double angle clamps like the Pearl AX-25L to mount single RotoToms on stands using no additional nuts or sawing. They can handle 9.5mm rods, so the threaded bolts of a RotoTom are no sweat.

SAINTDRUMS

I use them for the beginning of one Pink Floyd Song that we play, Time. Our sound man does a great job replicating the "wet" reverb/delay of the original recording. It does suck having to haul those around for the sake of one song...

presto123

I use them for the beginning of one Pink Floyd Song that we play, Time. Our sound man does a great job replicating the "wet" reverb/delay of the original recording. It does suck having to haul those around for the sake of one song...
You should just get a Roland SPDS sampler. I have real rotos, but I also have roto toms on my Roland among other samples like the old Simmons drums. I have the 80's era covered when I'm playing in pop/dance bands:)

uhtrinity

I have a set of old Remos, think they are 8, 10, 12. I've tried implementing them in with my six piece for practicing only (wouldn't want to lug them to a gig). Not the easiest drums to place in a tightly packed rack with pillars. Love the sound though and the 70's / 80's extra long linear fills.

They could work better with shortened mounting bolts.

Spaz

I've ALWAYS seen Roto Toms as a cheap cheesy way to add to your kit...

It's like dating a chubby girl.. fun to play with until your friends catch you with her.

I'd keep them in my basement and play on them but I'd never take them out to a live show.

MoreBeer

Silver Member
I remember when Roto Toms were the rage a long, long, long, long time ago and had them. Can't see ever buying them again today.

presto123

I've ALWAYS seen Roto Toms as a cheap cheesy way to add to your kit...

It's like dating a chubby girl.. fun to play with until your friends catch you with her.

I'd keep them in my basement and play on them but I'd never take them out to a live show.
Terry Bozzio is as good as it gets and if he didn't see them as cheesy then there you go. I've never once considered a kit of ALL roto toms, but I think they are a very cool addition to a kit for additional voices. Also, they sound downright awesome on Van Halen's 1984 album. Check out the fills in I'll Wait.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Terry Bozzio is as good as it gets and if he didn't see them as cheesy then there you go. I've never once considered a kit of ALL roto toms, but I think they are a very cool addition to a kit for additional voices. Also, they sound downright awesome on Van Halen's 1984 album. Check out the fills in I'll Wait.
Danny Carey is currently using RotoToms on his touring kit if I remember correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t1lt99CWnA

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Sadly my pair of rotos disappeared many years ago. I loved them. It's true that in loud bands they badly need mic'ing or they will seem thin and toneless.

Now I use a 8" Rhythm Traveler tom for what I think of as my "soprano drum voice". Always gotta have a little drum with a high-pitched "boing" :)

harryconway

Platinum Member
Any ideas on mounting them?
I used snare stands to mount mine. Tama Titan, I think. Pulled the snare basket out of the tilter unit, then put a long 3/8 bolt (couple of washers and nuts, also) into the tilter. Screw the Roto down onto that. I had 14, 16 and 18 inch Roto's mounted that way.​
8, 10 and 12 inch Roto's, I used RIMS to mount 'em. I didn't pitch them while I played, so that works well, also.​
Over the decades, I've had three sets of Roto's. Kinda a love/hate thing. Buy 'em ..... sell 'em.​