Anybody know what kind of Tama drums Elvin is playing here...?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think they're Granstars. That was the era when Tama started changing things, so I'm going to guess those. I think the Artstar lugs went the length of the shell.

Muckster

Platinum Member
I think they're Granstars. That was the era when Tama started changing things, so I'm going to guess those. I think the Artstar lugs went the length of the shell.
As a Granstar expert, I'll jump in. They certianly look like Granstars (though they could be Crestars as well since both lines were basically the same drums. The lugs were identical). Granstar II lugs went the length of shell like the Artstars but were introduced in the late 80's.

Elvin's set in the video is not typical of the Granstar sizes since power tom sizes were the rage. I don't remember Granstars being offered in standard sizes at the time but i'm sure they could have been ordered (especially for Elvin). Crestars, as I remember had a much more size and color options available than the Granstar line. The Crestars also were available in a laquer finish were the Granstars were only available in a wrap. Crestars were basically the replacement for the Superstar line. Also the Toms mount on the bass drum looks like Pre-Granstar mount.

Tama actually dropped Elvin somewhere around the time period of this video. Yamaha picked him up soon after.

So.........Based on what i see in the video judging by the bass drum mount and the shell sizes, I'm going to say those are Crestars.

Of course, i could be wrong.