Anybody Here Live or Have Lived in Taiwan (Taipei)? Looking for Drumming Possibilities

Chunkaway

Silver Member
So, I recently found out I'm moving in July to Taipei, Taiwan. I am interested in finding out about the possibility of drumming there, and if it is worth my while to bring my full acoustic kit there. Most of the information I am finding online is written in Mandarin and is a bit unclear.

Does anyone on this board live there? Or has anyone recently lived there? Or does anyone know of a drummer who lives there?

Imo, it would be foolish to bring a kit there. Drums are cheap and plentiful, and virtually every bar and restaurant has a backline kit. You likely won't be able to practice in your apartment building, and there are practice facilities everywhere for cheap. I live in mainland China (Beijing), but have been to Taiwan a few times. Taiwan is a lot easier to live than mainland China, and certainly a much better environment all around. You'd do well to learn some Mandarin (putonghua) asap. I brought some cymbals, nothing non-replaceable, and a coupla snare drums. Drums are cheap and plentiful. You'll have to learn to be flexible and go with the situation or you'll have a tough time. I've been in China for almost 10 years. Although Taiwan is not China.

Imo, it would be foolish to bring a kit there. Drums are cheap and plentiful, and virtually every bar and restaurant has a backline kit. You likely won't be able to practice in your apartment building, and there are practice facilities everywhere for cheap. I live in mainland China (Beijing), but have been to Taiwan a few times. Taiwan is a lot easier to live than mainland China, and certainly a much better environment all around. You'd do well to learn some Mandarin (putonghua) asap. I brought some cymbals, nothing non-replaceable, and a coupla snare drums. Drums are cheap and plentiful. You'll have to learn to be flexible and go with the situation or you'll have a tough time. I've been in China for almost 10 years. Although Taiwan is not China.

Thank you very much for all of the information. I am originally from the US, but I have been living in Singapore for the past 7 years, so I do understand the situation you are describing.

I currently rent a small room where I leave my drums set up and I am able to practice a few times a week. I'm looking for a situation like that, if at all possible, in Taipei. I would much prefer NOT to play on a studio/practice room kit that is beaten to hell, which is what things are like in Singapore. I know Beijing has a couple of practice room rental situations like Singapore (I have a friend who is a drummer who is currently using one), but I'm not sure if Taipei has anything like that. Having said all that, if I have no other choice, I'll probably set up mesh heads on my kit and quiet cymbals (Zildjian L80s) and practice at home most of the time, with the occasional practice session at a rehearsal studio. I'm just not sure if these plans are actually feasible.

Seems like the amount of money, time energy and headaches you'd spend to get your kit there would be far outweighed by the cheapness of drums in Asia. I bought a custom made 4-piece with all hardware for $350 brand new delivered.
My company will ship over my kit as part of my moving expense. I'm not looking to buy a kit there, rather I'm trying to see if it is even worth my time to consider drumming with all of my own gear. I don't want to play on a beaten down kit with pitted heads, if at all possible. I'd rather just practice at home on my mesh heads/quiet cymbals, if I don't have any other options. Ideally, I'd like to rent a practice space and play my own kit.

Last edited:
Back