Anybody have the 2013 series Zildjian 24" Medium Ride yet?

Road Bull

Silver Member
I am looking at picking up a new ride soon. The redesigned 2013 Zilidjian A's have caught my eye, or, um, ear. I have been able to play a new 22" Medium Ride, but I am interested in the characteristics of the 24".

I had been looking at the new 23" Sweet Ride, but am back and forth about how much wash I want in my ride. The Sweet Ride sounds great, but I am wondering if the wash replaces the definition when played at louder volumes.

The 22" Medium Ride sounded nice. I would say it has a good bit more definition when playing on the bow. The bell sounded pretty good.

A longer shot might be a Zildjian K ride 22". I have only heard sound clips of the 22" and not in person.

In general, I like a strong loud bell, crashable, but is fairly quick to regain stick definition. To me, that's the perfect ride.

So, can any of you chime in with your experiences with some of these, or what works for you?

Road Bull

Silver Member
So you are telling me that I need to get one and tell you all about it? I'll do it, you just watch.

I went back to my music shop and listened to the 23" Sweet Ride and the 22" Medium Ride again. I determined that the Sweet Ride is a bit too washy for my tastes. I liked the way the Medium Ride sounded, but I think I will spend the few extra dollars for the 24" Medium Ride. Now I just have to track one down. I wonder how much of a difference there will be going from 22" to 24"...

To be continued.

Road Bull

Silver Member
OK. I ordered one this morning. I should take delivery of my new disc of joy by Friday with any luck. Just in time for my band's next gig hopefully. I will let you know what I think when I get it in my hot little hands.

Thanks again Karl for the tip.

therapture87

i had the 24 inch A Medium Ride for a little while. I like really big cymbals, so for my ride, it was between this one and the 24 inch K light ride. I eventually decided on the 24 Medium ride. I was pairing it with a K custom 22 Dark Ride (as a right side crash) and a 20 inch K Crash/Ride (as a left side crash). I wasnt really that impressed by the sound. It has good stick definition, but just kind of one dimensional. the sound was very simple, as apposed to complex. bright, but kind of dry and boring. it had a pretty good dry wash, and when you really layed into it, it got pretty loud and wobbly. i personally just wasnt too impressed by it. i actually ended up switching all my cymbals out. I now use a 22 inch K dark ride, 19 inch K Dark Thin Crash, and an 18 K custom Fast Crash. so yeah the 24 Medium A Ride wasnt for me, but it could be exactly what you're looking for. It's definately fucking huge and has a pretty big sound to go along with it, but like i said just kinda one dimensional for such a big cymbal. hope this provided some insight for you.

whiteknightx

Silver Member
I used to have a Sabian 24" AA Medium ride. I used it for 20 years. It weighed around 10 pounds. Looked cool, but I could never get much out of it unless I was playing with heavy sticks and really laid into it. I got really tired of carrying it around, and 24" cymbal cases aren't all that easy to find. Good luck with your new one though, I really hope you enjoy it.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Well the new redesigned 2013 ZIldjian A's have been sounding pretty good. They are, overall, thinner and reshaped. So the Medium Ride of today might sound a lot different than the Medium Ride of yesterday. I had a 20" medium ride in like, 1989 or something. It was OK, but probably not something that I would buy again. But the new ones I have heard sound pretty nice to me. It seems to blend a lot of the elements that I am looking for.

Here is a clip of one that sounds alright. Although, the 22" I heard in person, to me, sounded a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntxuxzR8d50

So, I think my new 24" should be here Saturday. Crossing fingers that it is a keeper.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've got an older 24" Medium A ride. It's a pretty good cymbal for riding, but give it a crash type stroke on the edge and stand back. It comes on like a tsunami wave of sound as it grows and rolls on and on.

EDIT (again - lol). I completely missed that you decided to go for the 24" Medium and not the 23" Sweet Ride.

Last edited:

KirbyM

Road Bull -

Let us know how the new 24" Medium Ride sounds. I have a pair of the redesigned New Beat Hi-Hats. They sound much better than their heavier predecessors from just two years ago.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Will do.

So it looks like I should get it Saturday night after working all day. So I will have to figure out if I like it enough to keep the next day because I have a show Sunday night.

I do have high hopes for this cymbal. I have been impressed with the new 2013 lines. It is not fair to judge these new cymbals with the previous versions of the same cymbal. Some previous versions sounded good, some not so much.

But, overall, Zildjian spent a lot of time and energy revamping their Zildjian A line. They reshaped and lightened up the line overall. I think the bells might have even been redone, maybe a little bigger. Anyway, it's funny because a year ago I would not have even considered adding another Zildjian A to my kit. It just was not MY sound. My tastes had moved over to the darker Zildjian K line.

A few months ago I needed a new crash. I went poking around and found one of the new 2013 21" Zildjian Sweet Rides. I gave it a bash and was impressed. It didn't do much for me as a ride though. But boy can it crash and ride/crash! That made me a little more curious about the revamped A line overall.

Besides the possibility of a K ride fitting the bill, The new 2013 24" Medium Ride holds great promise. It is wait and see time.

Now will it deliver?

...to be continued.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
24" cymbal cases aren't all that easy to find.

Actually TOUGH TRAVELER has their EL series bag on sale, the hold up to 27" cymbals. DRUMSLINGER bags are the best bags in the business IMO, they'll outlast anything on the market they're so well made.

There's simply NO WAY you're going to find a cymbal bag for $150 that'll out preform/last the EL DRUMSLINGER.

I have a DUMSLINGER cymbal bag and their stick bag, over the top quality.

Road Bull

Silver Member
I was already thinking about this when I picked up an Ahead cymbal bag. This can hold a 24" no problem. I don't always play a 24" ride... But when I do.. I like to be able to put it in my cymbal bag.

Road Bull

Silver Member
My new cymbal is chilling out in a box about six blocks away from me. I had to work all day (14 hrs.) and was not able to pick it up from FedEx office post delivery before they closed today. I will roll out of bed and go snag my new pie in the AM.

Report to follow.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
It's been another few days, so what's the verdict on this cymbal??

I have feelers out for reviews from a couple other people on this one myself.
Got a real nice price from the shop on it, if I want to buy, but I'd like a few opinions before I plop down dough for it.

My guy at the shop said ALL the new 2013 A's coming in sound great.
They have a 20" Med. ride that is very responsive, and it's not heavy/clangy sounding at all. It has a nice crash and decay to it as well. I even think that one could be used as a crash in some situations too.

I haven't bought (or even considered buying) a new Zildjian cymbal since 2001 because the A's went down hill in sound and feel so badly to me.
That buying practice may change now.

bonzolead

Platinum Member
It's been another few days, so what's the verdict on this cymbal??

I have feelers out for reviews from a couple other people on this one myself.
Got a real nice price from the shop on it, if I want to buy, but I'd like a few opinions before I plop down dough for it.

My guy at the shop said ALL the new 2013 A's coming in sound great.
They have a 20" Med. ride that is very responsive, and it's not heavy/clangy sounding at all. It has a nice crash and decay to it as well. I even think that one could be used as a crash in some situations too.

I haven't bought (or even considered buying) a new Zildjian cymbal since 2001 because the A's went down hill in sound and feel so badly to me.
That buying practice may change now.
I havent. heard the 24" med. ride but played numerous 2013 "A"s including the 23" sweet ride they all sounded great (no heavy almost cut down ride sounds..lol)with a beautiful wash & decay. i'd get a whole new set if I could afford it...lol.

Bonzolead

TTNW

Pioneer Member
My 2 cents -

It seems as though Zildjian really listened to their customers this time and the A line harkens back to the 60s, 70s and 80s with lighter offerings.

I got the chance to take a swing at a few of the new ones recently.

The 23" Sweet Ride is great. It has a good balance between stick sound and wash. It crashes well. It reminds a little bit of my 24 K Light Ride because of the weight and edge wobble but it doesn't have the dark "tah". The closer you get to the bell the more it starts sounding like a medium ride. If I didn't already have a 21' Sweet Ride and the larger K, I'd be tempted.

The 24" Medium Ride is thinner than its predecessor. It is thicker than the 23 Sweet so it holds down the wash a little better and there is very little edge wobble. Nice versatile stick tone. The crash sound was not my cup of tea. It sounds cool but the sustain was overbearing and harsh for my tastes. I have a 2004 22" Medium ride that is beefier than its older cousins. It is brighter than the new 24 Medium but they are very similar in responsiveness. I would say that the 24 Medium would make a very versatile Rock ride. It can produce good volume but is not as one dimensional as say a22" Ping or Rock ride. I think for Zildjian buffs that have to have a 24, this cymbal fills the void pretty well.

I tried an 18 Medium crash. I have three 18 A crashes from 2005. My 18 Medium is just a little thicker than the new 18 Medium and the bells look almost identical. My 18 Medium thin is just a little thinner than the new 18 Medium. I am probably one of the few that actually like the thicker As for the heavier crashes. My 18 Medium has barely any perceptible low-end unless you put your ear about 3 inches away from it. The new 18 Medium is not as clean and bright. It's nice but it has more complex tones. I don't know why they messed with this cymbal. For what a Medium is designed to do, I think Zildjian unnecessarily changed this cymbal and now it seems more like a Medium Thin.

I also have an 18 A Fast Crash. I brought it along to see how it sounded compared to any other Fast or Thin crashes. They had a Thin crash but I couldn't read the serial number on it to see the first two letters to know if it is a newer or pre-redesign cymbal. So as far as weights are concerned, I'm not sure if the new Thin crash is more like an old Fast crash.

I think a lot of people will be coming back to the As. They have a more forgiving feel. I mostly go for medium-thin cymbals but when I want more weight, I want more weight. The GC I was in only had a few of each so I couldn't do a lot of cymbal to cymbal comparing.

Does anyone know if the 22 A Medium Heavy Ride is also redesigned for this series? I would like to compare that to a 22 Ping.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I went online and saw a mycymbal video of the 24, and it was real nice.
I was disappointed by the Sabian 24" Bash Ride TBH. I have been playing sabian for about 10 years since the A went downhill. The last 6 mos. or so, I have been happy with a bunch of Paiste 2002 cymbals.

The 23" Sweet ride sounds pretty cool, but I'd rather have a 24. I already have a couple 21" Sweet Rides that sound real nice, but if the new one sounds even better, I would sell some stuff and get one. Ideally, I'd probably get a 20" Med Thin, the 24" ride, and a new 21 SR.
I have a ton of older Zildjian's pre-200, so I'm "set" on anything else.

Road Bull

Silver Member
So I am still waiting to hear my new ride in a more controlled setting. It pretty much went from box to bag, from bag to stand for a show. I have to say that it sounded nice! My drums are at my guitarist's house. We were going to practice tonight, but my bass player and guitarist are at the Sword concert. I will have to wait till Saturday to be able to hear it in the practice room. I can compare it to my older 20" Ping, and my other cymbals.

I will tell you one thing. Going from a 20" ride to a 24" ride seems like a major change. I will get to spend some quality time with this ride on Saturday, then I will try to give a good review of my findings.

lol. To complicate my "ride situation", I won a 22" Zildjian K Heavy Ride. I am looking forward to checking this out too. I think I need to cool it on my cymbal GAS. But hey, like they say, anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I heard back from Brian (St. Clair--Local H), and he said his 24 has (in his words) a VERY deep and washy ride sound.
Said if I was looking for ping and attack, it wouldn't be his first choice--but, being as I love washy rides, I am pretty interested in this one.
He said it has a GREAT bell.

I haven't seen Local H live (just the CD's he's on), but checking out a YouTube live concert of his, he plays the ride more like I do, than a lot of "ting ting ting" going on.

I like sounds and textures more than just "keeping time" on a ride. I know that's oversimplifying it, but I don't use a ride as mainly a "ride" and bell sound and then get other sounds from more cymbals.

What's is this GAS you speak of? I have never heard of, or experienced that.

Road Bull

Silver Member
LOL. So that's Gear Acquisition Syndrome. (G.A.S)

It's killing me my ride is still over at my guitarist house. now instead of practicing on Saturday we are practicing on Sunday. I hope to hear it in a more controlled environment so I can give a more accurate appraisal of how it sounds. At the show I had two large cabs right behind me, so it's a little hard to say what all it was doing. I would say that it has less ping attack than my ping ride. It had a more mellow tone overall. For the short amount of time that I had it in a room by itself, it sounded like you could really roar. The bell did sound pretty decent side by side with the ping ride, however it did not seem as though it was cutting as much as the ping ride's bell in the mix. However I could have just perceive that due to being on an unfamiliar stage in a new room and hundreds of watts of bass and guitar amps attacking me.

I don't know that I would say that it had too much wash though. Perhaps with large broad strokes but I would say it's pretty controlled overall. I think you can get it to roar but it gets back to define the tone pretty quickly.

I should be able to have more information Sunday.

Last edited: