Anybody else prefer the smaller shows/venues?

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I'm not talking about bars, I mean little rinkydink buildings and garages, flooded basements, that sort of thing. I really prefer these types of shows, lately, because they're so genuine and intimate. It's a smaller crowd, but you know that the few people who are there came because of their love for music, and not just becuase it's in some popular bar and they can drink all night. Or not just because it's some big music fest and there will be tons of people.

My band got the chance to play a show with Bomb the Music Industry! last summer, and it is, to this day, the best show I've ever played. If you aren't aware who they are, they're a huge deal in the punk rock scene (at least in the midwest, they are). It was in a garage, and the place was packed. I'd wager that there were close to, if not more than 100 people there. While that doesn't sound like much, pack all of those people into a two car garage, and it's like playing a sold out show. People drove from three hours away to see this band play in a garage. There wasn't a sound guy, or any sort of professional sound equipment. Just a PA with two 15" speakers. No monitors, no stage lights. The cops shut it down during BtMI's set, so they got cut short, but still did an amazing job.

The point is, I would rather play tiny shows to a small group of people who attend, simply for their love of music, than play a stadium for thousands of people who wouldn't really care, either way.

Anybody agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

The smaller, the better. In a small venue, there's more connection with the audience, and it's much easier to convey the energy you put out into the music.

My favorite show ever was seeing Clutch in a tiny little room out in the city. Place was so packed that even though it's the size of a big-ish apartment, it took like 20 minutes to get to the bar from the other side of the room. Some guy even barfed on my shoes.

The smaller, the better. In a small venue, there's more connection with the audience, and it's much easier to convey the energy you put out into the music.

Exactly! We're going to start doing this thing at our local venue, in which, we have the drums set up on the stage, our amps behind the drums, and we will play on the floor, standing right with the audience, while our drummer plays on the stage to conserve floor space. And he'll be able to hear better from up there.

Flooded basements? No thanks.

I like playing on stages, but small rooms are nice to play in because you can really connect with the audience, as you're on the same level as them.

Smaller venues in smaller establishments usually means smaller incomes.

Dennis

I have never had the opportunity to play anything but small venues, but if given the chance I would probably prefer to play Wembly over some shithole bar.

As a fan I love small venues. The more intimate the better. The best concerts I have ever been to have been in clubs.

Smaller venues in smaller establishments usually means smaller incomes.

Dennis

If the income is a major factor for you, then you're in it for the wrong reason. Making money is nice here and there, but it's not why I play music. Heck, when we play shows in town, we usually give our cut to the touring band on the bill. They need it more than we do

If the income is a major factor for you, then you're in it for the wrong reason. Making money is nice here and there, but it's not why I play music. Heck, when we play shows in town, we usually give our cut to the touring band on the bill. They need it more than we do

I don't quite understand this thinking. Should we all be hobbyists? No professional musicians? Perhaps money shouldn't be your prime motivator, but there's nothing wrong with expecting to paid for your craft, IMO.

Anyway, I like both large and small venues. Depends on the event.

I am too old and just cannot handle those huge marathon concerts anymore. Last summer me and my wife went to see Yanni at red rocks and while there were a few thousand people there it was not horrible. When I lived in Arlington Texas I saw Type O Negative, Coal Chamber and Full Devil Jacket at the Bronco bole, just the right size. When I was younger I went to see Clash of the Titans at LA coliseum, I could never do that again. I think from now on I will try to see bands I like at Red Rocks or smaller venues.

I don't quite understand this thinking. Should we all be hobbyists? No professional musicians? Perhaps money shouldn't be your prime motivator, but there's nothing wrong with expecting to paid for your craft, IMO.

Anyway, I like both large and small venues. Depends on the event.

IMO you should play because you have a passion for what you do, if you make a ton of money doing it or a decent living then its just makes it that much better.

IMO you should play because you have a passion for what you do, if you make a ton of money doing it or a decent living then its just makes it that much better.

I think the huge majority of people DO play because they have a passion to. Music is, statistically speaking, a horrible way to make a lot of money. I think, if you have stuck with it once you had to start making your own living and paying for all your gear, you play because it's a passion.

Don't begrudge people who do make money at it, though. If putting food on my table depends on me making the most I can from my playing ability, I'll take the better paying gig, thank you. :)

I think the huge majority of people DO play because they have a passion to. Music is, statistically speaking, a horrible way to make a lot of money. I think, if you have stuck with it once you had to start making your own living and paying for all your gear, you play because it's a passion.

Don't begrudge people who do make money at it, though. If putting food on my table depends on me making the most I can from my playing ability, I'll take the better paying gig, thank you. :)

S**t no, if you make a million dollars doing what you love a year then more power to you, I sure wish I could, lol. If some place offered me two times the money I make now to weld I would surely do it.

A lot of people on this forum do play for the money or at least to supplement their regular income. If you choose to entertain your family by playing in your basement, more power to you, especially when you're so well off financially..

Oh, BTW. Do you really want to talk to me about playing for the wrong reason. Music has always been a very important part of my life, I play two instruments, started my radio broadcast career in 1966 as a disk jockey and been playing drums for more than 50 years. When you get even close to half of my experience and dedication to music, then maybe we'll have something to discuss.

Dennis

Last edited:
Small venues are a lot of fun, but nothing beats hearing a sea of people screaming and cheering after you finish a song. For me I think the mid-sized venue (good sized bar, club, whatever, 500 people or so) does an excellent job of finding the music fans and packing them in there tight enough to have the excitement of a huge gig with the intimacy of the small gig.

Don't care for flooded basements but always prefer smaller venues....especially those where
the music is great and the people come to mostly listen.

A lot of people on this forum do play for the money or at least to supplement their regular income. If you choose to entertain your family by playing in your basement, more power to you, especially when you're so well off financially..

Oh, BTW. Do you really want to talk to me about playing for the wrong reason. Music has always been a very important part of my life, I play two instruments, started my radio broadcast career in 1966 as a disk jockey and been playing drums for more than 50 years. When you get even close to half of my experience and dedication to music, then maybe we'll have something to discuss.

Dennis

What I mean to say is, in my opinion, playing a show to 20 die hard fans who will love every second of it is much better than playing to 5,000 people who could take it or leave it. I would pass up a big, high paying gig to play to a small audience who it would mean more to, any day, without thinking twice.

Given, if I were offered millions and such to play big international tours and record studio albums with artists I didn't even care for, yeah I would do it. I'd be stupid not to. But that would be my job, and I would spend my free time on a project that meant more to me.

Given you have the experience on me, you haven't a clue the kind of dedication I have, and cannot rightfully say whether you have more or less.

Back