Any VIntage hardware collectors out here?

Old Dog new Cans

Recently after restoring my Slingerlands, I bought a Slingerland snare stand. IT IS solid! I was quite surprised. But, it doesn't have the "curved" basket hands.
It's a typical vintage basket otherwise. Someone along the way suggested I might consider a snare stand with the curved basket hand style, it may be helpful with keeping the tom from falling, etc.
I found a very cheap vintage stand with that design, picked it up. When it arrived, I was putting some silicon/rubber-ish tubing over the basket's OLD rubber sleeves. . .
I noticed it said GIBRALTAR on the center arm. I was intrigued. I knew Gibraltar didn't go back 50 or 60 years, and this stand HAD to be 40 or 50 years old. According to my searches, Gibraltar started in 93 or something like that?

Anyone know anything about early early Gibraltar hardware?

Any vintage bass drum pedal collectors?
I'm considering a Slingerland pedal, it's a version from the 60s that is visually very similar to the Speed King. Has a direct drive setup. I'm considering Speed Kings. I'm also considering "belt drive" pedals. Not sure about those. I did find one that has been restored to a point. A seller actually says in his listing "pedal is not as responsive or quick as modern pedals. But I have it setup to my liking for heel down jazz." Something to that effect.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Any vintage bass drum pedal collectors? I'm considering a Slingerland pedal, it's a version from the 60s that is visually very similar to the Speed King. Has a direct drive setup. I'm considering Speed Kings.
Probably a Yellow Jacket pedal. Has two springs on the side, but uses a Speed King like direct drive. Never actually held or played one, so I can't help you out there.

Attachments

Ransan

Mostly not a fan of vintage hardware as it can be shoddy even the best of them, but I got my kits with all this in mind. Which excites me to get into the Rogers field. I’m not so much a collector of hardware, but I do get same brand and time specific to what I own.

For my Vistalite kit, I have the following hardware all Hercules with the exception of pedals all with 1” tubing, not Atlas.

4 tom clip mounts with stands
2 boom stands
2 straight cymbal stands (one just the arm only)
Hercules snare stand
Spur Lok Hi hat stand
Speed King bass pedal

For my Rogers project, I will keep it minimal.
I will start to get hardware, but seeing some hefty prices for Swivomatic arms and stands.
On that note when I do get a belt drive Rocket or Jet bass pedal or even Swivomatic, I’m aware of the belts stretching. Online, I’m seeing you can find the little leather strap piece that has been salvaged, but I may look into Rogers repro strap drive kit.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I was a BIG fan of the vintage Ludwig flat-based stands, until the modern Ludwig ones came out. I loved how light and compact they were. The new ones are better, though, and I have more confidence in their reliability...

Old Dog new Cans

Probably a Yellow Jacket pedal. Has two springs on the side, but uses a Speed King like direct drive. Never actually held or played one, so I can't help you out there.
The one I'm checking into has a single spring setup, and is called an "Epic". Oh, and then a couple Tempo Kings? These are setup with a strap. One of them isn't even leather. If I get a Slingerland, I'll go with the Epic. It's not horribly priced and seems to be pretty clean.

I understand not wanting to use vintage hardware. These old snare stands I have are solid, ordered some feet for one. But I definitely like 1" tubing or bigger! I had an old Crestline as a kid with the worst tom mounts, NEVER had them set comfortably after having that kit for 15 years or so.

Does ANYONE know about OLD Gibraltar hardware??? I'm trying to figure out that stand.

SomeBadDrummer

Does ANYONE know about OLD Gibraltar hardware??? I'm trying to figure out that stand.
I'm no Columbo but I found a vintage Tama double tom mount (that I use for the 8 & 10" toms), however the base turned out to be Gibraltar. Someone did a switcheroo on the base of the stand before bringing the stand to the music go round, but it works great for me.
Could be someone did the same with the snare stand you have...

Old Dog new Cans

I'm no Columbo but I found a vintage Tama double tom mount (that I use for the 8 & 10" toms), however the base turned out to be Gibraltar. Someone did a switcheroo on the base of the stand before bringing the stand to the music go round, but it works great for me.
Could be someone did the same with the snare stand you have...
Well, the reason it's intriguing. . .They were founded in '93. And this stand in question is obviously designed (and patina'd or rusty) like a 40 to 50 year old stand. I need to post some pics.

In the late 70s and early 80s hardware design changed right? I assume it had to because of BIG drums, arena rock setups, etc. I just find it interesting. I'll have to do some Columbo'ing.

1611606379645.png

SomeBadDrummer

Well, the reason it's intriguing. . .They were founded in '93. And this stand in question is obviously designed (and patina'd or rusty) like a 40 to 50 year old stand. I need to post some pics.

In the late 70s and early 80s hardware design changed right? I assume it had to because of BIG drums, arena rock setups, etc. I just find it interesting. I'll have to do some Columbo'ing.

View attachment 100308
Yes photos might help bring out the cavalry or some other people on DW who could help ID the thing...
Love the meme...Just one more question...

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I was a BIG fan of the vintage Ludwig flat-based stands, until the modern Ludwig ones came out. I loved how light and compact they were. The new ones are better, though, and I have more confidence in their reliability...
Is the flat stand thing mainly a looks thing?

What are the upsides as you see it to a flat stand?

harryconway

Platinum Member
The one I'm checking into has a single spring setup, and is called an "Epic". Oh, and then a couple Tempo Kings?
You can find a "conversation" on the Epic, AA, & Tempo King here ...... http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/archive/index.php/t-13249.html

60's/70's hardware was certainly a mixed bag. I had some Ludwig Atlas hardware, and it wasn't too bad, if you didn't ask to much of it. And that's where rock drummers got into trouble😁

Rogers Swivomatic stuff was often substituted on peoples kits.

Yes. Mid/late 70's was a big improvement. Rogers Memriloc came out in '76.

Ludwig Hercules stuff followed. Tama Titan stuff began to appear (1980, at least).

I just recently bought a Slingerland Magnum kit. The double tom stand is a beast. Unfortunately, an old beast. I can tell if I use it, it will start to fail. So, I quickly brought my Yamaha/RIMS formula into play ..... lighter, sturdier, more flexible.

Attachments

Old Dog new Cans

As a youngster, when I really played ALL the time, I just didn't care about the historical aspects. I don't know many mullet wearing kids from the 80s that did care, we just wanted to rock! Right? Lol Now I'm very interested in vintage stuff and the history that goes with it.

I mean, when I did my Slingerland resto-mod, I added DW hoop spurs and an iNDE bass mounted cymbal arm. I like good solid hardware. I like vintage looks more than anything. I dealt with failure in equipment and simple difficulties.

I'm a huge Slinglerland fan now for sure! The entire kit's a beast! Is that a 24" bass?

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'm a huge Slinglerland fan now for sure! The entire kit's a beast! Is that a 24" bass?
Yes. 24x14. Toms are square. 10x10, 12x12, 16x16. I thought, "I've never had power toms, so what the hell !!!" Great sounding kit. 5 ply shells.

I gotta have hardware that works. I went thru all kinds of mis-adventures in the 60's and 70's. I won't mod any vintage drum, if it means extra holes, unless it's already a "player", so that's where I started using Gauger RIMS and Yamaha mounts for all my toms. I've got all the sizes covered, for my needs.

My 26x14 Natural Maple 3 ply Ludwig bass drum was my "largest" effort. The drum was actually a 40's era (42, I think) marching drum, I bought for $91. Single tension button lugs. I had a maple veneer put on it, drilled it for classic lugs, stained it to match my real Natural Maple Luddies, and it rocks. Close enough for government work.😂 I wasn't gonna drop $2K on a real 26x14 from that era. That's what I've seen 'em sell for.

Ransan

As a youngster, when I really played ALL the time, I just didn't care about the historical aspects. I don't know many mullet wearing kids from the 80s that did care, we just wanted to rock! Right? Lol Now I'm very interested in vintage stuff and the history that goes with it.
I hear you on that, I grew up in the 90s. There’s a quote from a professional drummer, I’m not sure who.

But it pretty much goes like this, “in the 60s we weren’t collecting drums, we were playin’ em”.
That’s a mic drop of a statement.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

My question is when does hardware become "vintage"? Is it like cars? A specific decade? Is it like classic rock?? How old it is?
If we use the car example, which used to 25 years old but I don't know if they still use that measure anymore, my hi hat stand would be "classic" but its not a flat based stand (double braced DW from 92).
My drums would be classic based on the 25 year rule too (mid 90's Keller ear DW).

Just curious.

Thin Shell

More efficient use of steel to arrive at the same result. Three points touching the floor. I use all Ludwig 1400 stands and one of the Tama Classic copies. I have zero problems with stability and I can carry all of my hardware short of the throne at one time. Double braced stands are complete overkill in most situations. They do have a less cluttered look but that is just a side benefit.

SomeBadDrummer

This kit belongs to my stepdad.

These flat cymbal stands are from 1963 along with the Slingerland 4 piece kit. The chrome Ludwig snare is from the same period.

These were originally not concert toms, but he removed the bottom rims many years ago. My mom had the kit professionally re-wrapped for him a few years ago since the original red flame wrap was in pretty bad shape after decades of gigging around Atlanta 1950's through the early 2000's playing rock and roll and top 40 hits.

The good news is that he kept all of the removed hardware; rims, lugs, bolts, etc. in the event wanted to put everything back together as an original kit. It's all been stored in a case for decades just waiting for its time to get back in the game.

The two riveted cymbals are also from 63 - both Zildjians - and unfortunately I used to really wail on the 18" crash back in the 80's and cracked it.

I (sort of) made up for it by giving him the 15" vintage Zildjian in the center.

What's amazing to me is that the hardware has lasted nearly 60 years, with the first 40+ getting constant use.

IMG_8909.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member
My question is when does hardware become "vintage"? Is it like cars?
Yeah .... and just like cars ..... there's a lot of "interpretation" to what's vintage and what's not. ;) The guy with a '32 Ford might think different than the guy with a '69 Toyota. Also ..... you'll find sellers toss around the term "vintage"easier and more often than buyers.

The term "vintage" means basically "from a previous era" .... and so while the 90's certainly was "a previous era" ..... I'm not sure how many will buy into calling 90's drum hardware vintage. Especially since many 90's hardware lines are still manufactured today, virtually unchanged except for small design improvements.

Personally, I kinda have a sliding scale that seems to end in the early to mid 80's. I consider Ludwig Atlas and Hercules stuff vintage, as well as Rogers Swivomatic and Memriloc. My Slingerland Magnum is in that "grey area" ..... some people might call it vintage .... some might not. I don't consider Tama Titan hardware vintage, since it's not all that different from the current Roadpro. Same with Yamaha. 80's Yamaha stands are just as modern and the current stuff.

SomeBadDrummer

I hear you on that, I grew up in the 90s. There’s a quote from a professional drummer, I’m not sure who.

But it pretty much goes like this, “in the 60s we weren’t collecting drums, we were playin’ em”.
That was Bun E. Carlos.

Yeah, back in the day there were far fewer choices so people mostly bought what they needed to get/keep a set working. Now I can see myself becoming a collector, if by that you mean accumulate more drums/gear than I use in my standard setup.

I am now much more interested in vintage drums than ever, probably because I love taking everything apart and putting it back together, so it makes sense to have a project to work on instead of just cleaning/maintaining my current kit.

But I still enjoy playing more than working on em!